Work boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping to get some advice from guys here who may be diesel or heavy equipment mechanics. I've been a diesel mechanic almost 16yrs now, working on concrete all day, every day, and up until about two years ago, I thought the most comfortable work boots I had tried were timberland pros. I'd get two years max out of them, before the soles were worn that bad ( I wear the outside edges the worst ) that I'd go home at the end of the day with my lower back, knees, and ankles killing me. Took me a long time to realize it was my boots causing the issue, not just the job itself. Also had big issues with heel spurs for a couple years and foot doctor told me i needed more arch support. Anyways, almost two years ago, I read somewhere that logger boots, with their taller heel and better arch support can actually put your back in better alignment and help with lower back pain. But also heard they can be a bear when working on concrete all day. I went ahead a tried a pair of redwing 620 logger boots. Original insoles weren't very comfortable, but after putting in a pair of redwings moldable insoles, they've been great. First pair of boots I've had that I didn't feel fatigued in by the end of the day, and my lower back pain all but went away. Fast forward two years, and they have held up better than anything before them, but the liner wore through at the heels about a year ago, and the insoles are worn out and before I spend another $50 on insoles for boots I might get 1 more year out of, I think I'm gonna spring for new ones.

Now, here are my questions... I have a pair of redwing 877's I wear everyday outside of work and love them. I love American made, quality, old school boots, and this was the first time I had the money for something that fit the bill. However, I've had them over 6months, and realize these soles won't last even a year working on concrete all day. Not only that, but I'm afraid going to a shorter heel again will start affecting my back again. I don't get to wear my 877's long enough during the day to be able to tell if this might happen. So I'm considering thorogood moc toe boots for work. I've heard good things about them, and they're sole seems to wear much better from what I've read. But again, I'm afraid of the shorter heel affecting my back, especially since I've been going to a chiropractor since October to try and fix a pinched syatic nerve. One thing I'm sure of, I definitely want an unlined boot this time around. This is always the first part to wear out, and can't really be fixed. Any one ever had experience with back pain and these boots?

Now, something else I've been considering, custom made boots. Yes they aren't cheap, but I've never heard anything bad about them. I have a very hard foot to fit... Narrow instep, but they get wide at the ball of my feet. So if I get a boot wide enough to fit the ball of my foot and not crowd my toes, the whole boot fits loose, and the sides almost pull together when I pull the laces tight. And if I go narrow enough to fit my instep good, then my toes get crowded and they just don't feel comfortable. This was what attracted me to moc toes. So, custom sounds like the better way to go, all leather construction, so no insole to wear out, great arch support, should fit like a glove, and completely rebuildable. My only concern is, my boots constantly come in contact with oil, diesel fuel, antifreeze, and def fluid ( mix of water and amonia ). I do clean my boots and condition with obenaufs lp, but I didn't learn proper care soon enough with my current work boots, and there's not much I can do to save them now. I just hate the idea of spending $500-600 on a pair of boots, if the chemicals at work are just gonna kill the leather anyways. Anyone here a mechanic and have custom work boots? What is your experience, and how do you maintain them? Should I go with a logger or rancher style boot, or more of a wedge sole like my redwing 877's or the thorogoods? I'm mainly considering Nicks Boots if I go custom. I've heard whites was bought out by the Japanese parent company of Danner and quality control has suffered a bit. I thank you guys for any help you can offer.

Last edited:
You're on the right track, looking for custom made boots that can be rebuilt. The uppers and be protected pretty well and be patched or repaired as needed.

I worked in Alaska for 5 years and it's common to find a good boot maker. People there fix and repair almost everything. I was a pilot and spilled gas, oil and hydraulic fluid on my clothes and boots. I used a paste wax supplied by the locals that keep the boots protected and pliable in sub zero weather. It smelled a bit but did the job.

Do you have any boot/shoemakers in your area that can make or fit and repair your footwear. Finding one can be difficult because most people wear throwaway footwear. They never consider new heels or soles.

Also consider getting some rubber floor mats for your work area that can be moved around.

The last thing to do is figure out some exercises to strengthen your stomach and back muscles. Getting your stomach is obvious but don't forget your back muscles, too.

Take a look at the Rocky TMC. These are Postal service approved which means all day wear comfort and USA made. I have them i wear them all day sometimes and have no problems.
These have no steel toe, but I don't really need them, working n heavy stuff like you do might be another story.

http://uspatriottactical.com/rocky-tmc-8in-postal-approved-duty-boots-5019-black/

I wore these (original issue) for years and loved them especially with the side zipper, the jungle boots are great in hot weather. Guys have almost lived in these boots for years.

http://www.patriotsurplus.com/1500.html

Steel toe USA made.

http://www.patriotsurplus.com/belleville...oof-boot-black/

I am a diesel mechanic for the most part..i own a small fleet of trucks and i do most of the work myself. Before that years ago i owned a garage working for the public..so i know what u are going through. I have had the best luck out of Timberland Pro Pitboss soft toe. http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-PRO-Mens-Pitboss-Soft-Toe/dp/B000XEWW04 I usually soak mine real good with a wet cloth and get them wet and wear them for a day and they feel like a pair of running shoes for the rest of the year.. ive also had luck soaking them lightly with mineral spirits and doing the same.. Anyways my math works out to wearing them for a year then tossing them in the trash. I will wear mine 365 days a year so that works out to about 27 cents a day for me.

Also to note...i get grease and oil and everything on mine...i keep a bottle of baby oil in the bathroom of the shop and i lightly rub it all off with a rag..like new.

If u havent degreased yourself with baby oil try it...no hand cleaner ive ever used does a better job.

I had very bad luck with both RedWing and Red back boots.

Redwings wore out in 6 weeks and Red back in 2 the replacement lasted 3 weeks.!

Redwing told me to pound sand and red back did warranty 1 set which came apart 3 weeks later

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You're on the right track, looking for custom made boots that can be rebuilt. The uppers and be protected pretty well and be patched or repaired as needed.

I worked in Alaska for 5 years and it's common to find a good boot maker. People there fix and repair almost everything. I was a pilot and spilled gas, oil and hydraulic fluid on my clothes and boots. I used a paste wax supplied by the locals that keep the boots protected and pliable in sub zero weather. It smelled a bit but did the job.

Do you have any boot/shoemakers in your area that can make or fit and repair your footwear. Finding one can be difficult because most people wear throwaway footwear. They never consider new heels or soles.

Also consider getting some rubber floor mats for your work area that can be moved around.

The last thing to do is figure out some exercises to strengthen your stomach and back muscles. Getting your stomach is obvious but don't forget your back muscles, too.

There is one boot repair shop local to me, dont know if they actually make boots though. Problem there is, their hours, I just can't make it there during their business hours. Between work and my kids ( recently divorced ), its just tough. I've often thought I'd enjoy a career as a cobbler, but I figure its gotta be tough to make a living doing that these days, as you said, we live in a throw away society, everyone is ok with just going out and buying new or cheap, stuff that can't be rebuilt or repaired. And 10-4 on the excersises, I know I need to do that, chiropractor keeps getting on my case for not doing the ones he gave me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
That first boot the 620 is made in China...fwiw

Yes, I know, but I had always wanted to try redwings, and it was what I could afford at the time, and truthfully, before I decided to make a concious effort to buy american made when and where I could.

I'm a semi mechanic for UPS. I'm currentley wearing Thorogood steel toed slip resistant shoes. I put a product called Sno Seal on all my work footwear. You ever go to a podiatrist?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I had very bad luck with both RedWing and Red back boots.

Redwings wore out in 6 weeks and Red back in 2 the replacement lasted 3 weeks.!

Redwing told me to pound sand and red back did warranty 1 set which came apart 3 weeks later

Thats surprising to hear on the redwings. I thought the general concensous was that their american made boots were pretty rock solid, the chinese made stuff not so much, but my 620's really surprised me, being made in china, they have held up better than any other work boot I've tryed. They are two years old, and other than the lining wearing through, they havn't given me any issues. I could easily get another year out of them I think, but as I said earlier, the moldable insoles I put in them are shot, and I can't see spending another 1/3 the orginal cost of the boots when I may only get a year, 2 at the most out of them anymore, and normally insoles last 6 months to a year for me.

I've got some inlaws who work for Red Wing. They get me the best steel toe shoes that have cosmetic blems for cheap.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm a semi mechanic for UPS. I'm currentley wearing Thorogood steel toed slip resistant shoes. I put a product called Sno Seal on all my work footwear. You ever go to a podiatrist?

I've heard of Sno Seal, never tryed it though, but I have started using Obenaufs LP on all my stuff since I learned the proper way to care for leather boots. Only time I've been to a podiatrist was about 3 or 4 years ago when i had my heel spurs. Limped around with a heel spur for so long I actually fractured a bone in my left foot.

I repaired forklifts doing service calls at the customers locations and other vehicles when working in the shop and I never get more that 6 months out of my boots. I tried Redwing and my opinion is they are way overpriced for what you are getting. As we age the padding on the bottom of the feet thins out and insoles can make a difference.

I always wore Justin 440 J-Max boots when I was working as a mechanic. Really liked them. Most of the guys in the shop who cared about their feet wore Red Wings, one swore by Irish Setter boots.

FWIW One guy bought a pair of Red Backs and they didn't even last 6 months. So no one else bought any, although our Mac rep swore they were the bee's knees.

I've had slip on RedWing shoes in the past and they were very comfortable. Timberland looked nice (also slip ons) but we're very uncomfortable.

We get $150 each year for safety shoes, so if I didn't like a shoe I would use them for yard work and wear my old RedWings until a new calendar year. If you have uncomfortable foot ware your entire body hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back