'woosh' - bypass valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a pure-one filter on my 1996 cobra for about a month, towards the end of the month (around 1,500 miles) it sounded like the car had a turbo on it, the "woosh" sound of alot of fiuids being passed through a tube sound.

is this the bypass valve coming into play? Replaced it w/ a 'regular' purolator, no more wooshing sounds.

oh, I use 5w30 motorcraft synth. blend...

edit: the sound was rpm & throttle dependent, more rpms & load, the more the sound could be heard...

Unlikely ..but if you change the filter and it goes away
dunno.gif

I wouldn't expect any "flow" to trump the sound of the engine ..unless the flow was in the passenger compartment ..like air/fluid surging through the heater core (low coolant).

I've heard that "woosh" sound before too....I changed out the waterpump about a week later, dribble port started dribbling. Seems the play in the bearing affected the sound of coolant flow through that pump.

I'd thing that type noise is more related to coolant flow (low coolant as suggested above) or air flow (fan clutch kicking in with summer heat..), rather than oil flow.
Interesting that changing the filter affected the noise...maybe it was a "turbo" filter...he he

keep an eye out for coolant leaks..

Just re-read...sorry, I thought you said you already changed the filter and the noise went away, my bad.
Check for coolant leaks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back