wood stove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been considering a small wood stove ,(forced air),my insurance company is not for it,asked them to come and look at chimminy,its brick and tile lined ,1933,they will not come and look ,hey I run a power plant,and I used a fiber-optic instrument and checked my self,looks tight,looks fine,WHY are these insurance companys so not for these ??.BL

They don't want to pay out for a burned down house due to a chimney fire. The odds of a fire go up significantly not just due to chimney but improper burns.

No matter how safe and conscientious you may be, most people are not. A family right across the street from my parents had a house fire because of a wood stove. They were very lucky the firemen were able to save most of the house. Statistically, wood stoves are very risky.

Try Amica, I have them and two stoves that I've properly declared. My house was built in the 1910s too.

Admittedly, they tried bumping my rate up by 70%, claiming "materials costs" would mean my place would cost a fortune to rebuild.
rolleyes.gif
I figured it was the post-Katrina "let's screw the rest of the country" effect.

After raising my deductible and convincing them it was truly a shanty I got my rate back down to earth.

Oh and they don't care about my half-rottweiler either.
grin.gif

Not only the chimey issue, but CO as well that could get into the house. Then there is the possiblilty of smoke damage, that can get really expensive.

brian fix,
Check with your town hall. In your area (like mine) wood stoves are surely covered by a permitting process that will guide you to a safe installation. The building inspector or as in my town the fire chief had to sign off on it so my insurance would be covered. These are totally safe if used with a little common sense and DON'T FORGET TO CLEAN YOUR CHIMNEY @ seasons end as this is the source of most fires!

Don'task, don't tell. J/K, I guess. I put in a propane stove in my addition, I have a kerosene heater....Lots of people have fireplaces. Lets say you didn't tell them about it. What does the policy say??

We had this problem in the early 90's when we built a new house and installed an old wood cook stove that we've had since the early 70's. State Farm would no longer insure us, even tho we'd for the past 9 years used a wood stove that was in a house we were renting and during that time had renters' insurance with State Farm. Neither would a couple other companies, until we talked to "Farm Bureau Insurance". Call them up. They also cover our garage, built 3 years after the house, and it has a wood stove in it for heat.

It is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that you know how to properly install a wood stove or have it installed by someone who does, that the chimney is in (and is kept in) good condition, and that you know how to use the stove without creating a fire hazard. The risk cannot be overemphasized. Talk to your fire department about installation and safe usage. Get on the internet and learn about safe installation and usage. Learn all you can wherever you can. We burned two wood stoves in a house from 1972-1981, one in another house from 1983-1991, and one in our current house and one in our garage since the early 90's. We know what we're doing and have never had a chimney fire or something catch fire around a stove.

If you get a proper installation, there should be no problems at all. Our insurance agent (Erie Ins.) said they were much more in favor of a home with an insert installed than with an open fireplace. Go to www.hearth.com to learn more about wood burning stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back