Wolverine Heat Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot depends on what wattage rating pad you have. I have a 250 watt on a 5 quart sump (plus one more quart in the filter). I leave it plugged in all the time, but have no fear of burning the oil if I plug it in cold (but I am never much below zero F).

I started it up one cold day and then went under the truck and felt the pan (not by the pad--ouch) and could feel cold oil coming back into the pan. What happens is the truck fires up nicely in cold weather when plugged in, but the oil gets cooled going through the engine. Now somewhere that will equalize and I doubt the oil gets near as cold as if you never had the pad on.

Regardless, I really like having the pad and think it helps a lot. I know it starts a lot harder on cold days leaving work where it sat 9 hours unplugged.

You might want to search. There was a thread or two on this site regarding the heating pads (not sure which forum) and Wolverine became a site sponsor (hopefully still is).

Wolverine is a BITOG site sponsor:

Wolverine

I purchased one this Spring and will be installing it shortly. So I cannot give you any personal opinion on its use.

smile.gif

Winter on the way, I am buying over ten Wolverine Heat Pads, 4 for my personal use on a Cummins Diesel's and Nissan X-Trails oil pans and trannys.

The remaining Heat Pads go to friends and family, buying 10+ gives 40% discount and free shipping which I pass on to these people.

I have been advised by Wolverine that these pads can be plugged in after engine has been exposed for days at -40F or -40C. (Many other brand heat pad users state their heat pad has to be plugged in immediately after engine shuts down to prevent oil from burning or oil scumming bottom of pan)

I have somewhat faith in what Wolverine tells me, they tell me I can sit my vehicle in -40F for days, plug in 5 hours, the oil will then
be operating temp and upper cylinders 65F. My concience doesn't allow me to promote a product to friends without getting first hand experiences to back up what Wolverine claims.

Any first hand testimonials on Wolverine Heat Pads plugging in when engine is frozen? Do they do what Wolverine claim in frozen engine warm up with out damage to oil or scumming of pan?

Any help appreciated.

thanks,
Cyprs

Wolverine calls for 250 watt pad for my 11 litre/quart sump on diesel, 125 watts for 4 litres/quarts on X-trail, Wolverine claims the proper pad for litre/quart range in their charts will produce the oil in pan to operating temps in 5-6 hours from -40C/F. It claims the coolant will increase in temp about 15%, the upper cylinders etc will be about 65F. 100F heat on oil in sump in 2 hours.

If Wolverine's claim is true then in theory the oil should not circulate cold if oil heats to operating temp (180F approx)and then heat transfers through oil to 65F in upper portion of engine, big difference between theory and reality, nothing seems to good to be true it seems. My Wolverine chart calls for 250 watts on 11 litres/quarts for diesel applications and I will be reluctantly starting up in -40F at times this winter using 0-40 XD3 syn oil. Hearing your results on 250 watts on 5 quarts at 0F TallPaul gives me some concern, what brand Pad Heater are you using and is your Pad Heater falling short of manufacturer claims?

Will post my results after I get mine installed 59 Vetteman, I am also putting Wolverines on auto trannys on both Cummins Diesel and X-Trail Nissan. I especially hope the Pads stop my OD shift problems in cold weather on Dodge Cummins.

Last year I read in BITOG that some use Block Heaters on timers to supplement the Heat Pads, good advice considering only 15% heating of coolant.

thanks guys,
Cyprs

I have a Wolverine pad. Bought it a few years ago. I was going to get a 125 watt based on the chart, but when I called Wolverine the guy strongly suggested the 250 watt for my 6 quart total capacity. If I were way up in Saskatchewan I would be looking at both the pan heater and a water jacket heater. Tranny heater is a great idea. Just wonder if there is a better ATF you could be using. Definitely would try synthetic ATF.

I measured my pan temp on the outside of the pan one 5 F day with a heavy insulated glove on the back of the thermometer. Can't remember what the temp was but am thinking around 70 or 80 F so inside the pan was maybe around 140. Hard to tell.

I never really believed the claim of 65 F upper engine temp from the get go (maybe it does, but it doesn't seem like it), but bought it anyway figuring it would be very helpful on cold mornings. I have no regrets and would do it again for my one parked outside vehicle. Won't do it for the garaged vehicle though (unless I were in a colder climate).

Cold oil returning to the pan would be coming from the heads where a pan heater would have little to no effect. The heater in combination with synthetic oil should be more than enough to ensure easier starting and instant lubrication. If you still experience hard starting, install a battery blanket. At -40 your battery voltage is reduced and CCA's are probably down to 1/3 of what they should be.

I just checked the Wolverine site and they do have a heater for the battery. It is a new item. Also don't forget to mention BITOG when you call them.

Thanks

warning....

Heat pad and insert heater users need to be aware that.......If that localized heat source is high the oil in the highest heat area will have the majority of the add pack activated and since the oil is not circulating it can DEPLETE the add pack and locally attach a significant volume of EP adds to the heated area. I have not seen this effect as much in really cold environments but have in drag/auto racing.

Be very careful to not get high heat in one place with stationary fluid. The newer ester and polymer adds are even more susceptible to this affectation that neuters the highest quality lubricants.

Sounds like Wolverine is using slow steady heat to limit this effect but be aware of it. Maybe one of their tech reps could speak to it for potential customers.

I think the localized heating causes a circulation within the pan, so that all the oil should be the same temp, but I guess if it was extremely cold and the pad was turned on it could cause a high localized heating until the rest of the oil thins enough to circulate.

Guess I better talk to a Wolverine tech on what is best for my cold starting needs. Battery warmer would work great for me, this 92 Dodge Cummins Diesel only has one battery.

Can Heat Pads neuter same ATF add pack too? If one plugs in pad heaters on Tranny and Oil Pan immediately after shut down and keep the pad heaters on till next start up, then will that prevent add pack depletion? (I may not start diesel up for days to a week, prefer not to keep Heat Pad plugged in for days)

When I order over ten of these Wolverines soon I will mention BITOG, this Bitog site is where I learned of Wolverine Pads last winter.

Thanks,
Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back