Wolf's Head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We get 3 vehicles serviced at a local mom and pop Shell service station because my dad has known the mechanic there for 20 years. I do change the oil for them once in a while but I generally only do my car and my sister's...for some reason they feel that the inconvenience me when I do oil changes for them and they say, "I'll just take it in to have it done."
smirk2.gif

I've always thought they used Formula shell motor oil there since they put a shell sticker in the window and they're a shell station. However, my dad just dropped our 2003 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 there for an oil change, and various other maintenance work.

When I went to go pick him up I saw a case of oil sitting in the garage through the doors....I had to look closely to see what it said....apparently they use cases of Wolf's Head 5w30 there for oil changes.

I was kinda shocked and I've rarely heard of this oil....they probably use it since it's cheap. My dad got his 1997 Chevy S10 2.2L serviced there and the engine ran fine for 150,000 miles before it got totaled, so it can't be THAT bad. Our Chevy Trailblazer has over 40,000 miles on it and the engine is spotless looking through the oil filler and it's only been brought to this place.

Anyway, I'm assuming Wolf's Head is an SM approved oil, but does anybody have any opinions about it?

Thanks.

Unfortunately I had my speakers on full volume when I went to that website....scared my dinner out of me.
LOL.gif

I have no doubt the stuff is decent...I just don't know much about it. What does the A3/B3 rating mean?

I just checked the GM approved oils and Wolf's Head isn't on there. Perhaps because they're a small brand name?

Last edited:
Local garage here uses it too, and this particular garage has one of the best reps in the area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
What does the A3/B3 rating mean?

A3/B3 is essentially the coveted and very hard to meet long drain rating. As in BMW, Porche, etal long drain autobahn rated oils. You won't find much on a Wally shelf that meets this.

The "A" pertains to gas pasenger cars. The "B" pertains to diesel passenger cars. And the "3" essentially means "most excellent" .

I can't remember the specifics - I think the NOACK has to be under a certain level, and the HT/HS must be at least 3.5. Other requirements will have to be detailed by another BITOGr.

Hmm, I'd love to see a VOA of this stuff. I'd bet it has a real strong add pack.

I wish this stuff could be found easily for cheap....seems like a sleeper oil.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Hmm, I'd love to see a VOA of this stuff. I'd bet it has a real strong add pack.

I wish this stuff could be found easily for cheap....seems like a sleeper oil.

Makes me wonder...does sound good though...

It's actually a very good oil, ran it for a good 45k on my Jeep back in the day. If you do a search against this forum using Google you will see a few posts about it and maybe a UOA or two. I would think its on par with the Formula Shell and Havoline DS and just as good on pricing. I wouldn't have a problem running it, and I am usually picky with oil(8 years, Mobil 1 in my Impala no substitutions). Now I ran Synpower and now Pennzoil Platinum. Once finished with my stash(3 5qt Jugs) its onto PYB or Formula Shell.

I used to sell it when I worked parts and there was a small but loyal following of locals that used it. No idea if it is still the same company as back then? Back then it was pretty good oil but not well known and thus people seemed almost afraid to use it.

Its much like the Esso oil(Exxon). I would be visiting my friend at his shop and people would come in and ask for an oil change or to buy some quarts of oil and would be scared off by the supposed "No Name" oil. It basically took 10 seconds to educate them by showing them the label on the back with the small Exxon logo. It's from the same people who make Mobil 1(esso). Wolf's Head has a cult following due to its price and its a very good oil but not as widely distributed. Mostly mid-west/parts of east coast.

I saw it locally (can't remember where though), and assumed it was some cheap generic stuff. I figured it would just be some average SM/GF-4 rated oil, I didn't realize it met so many specifications.

If I find it again and it's cheap, I might pick up a few quarts to put in my beater SUV, and then run the snot out of it for giggles

Napa sells it around here, only oil my buddies shop uses. I've always been scared of it.... Hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back