WIX or Purolator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The 4 PureONE's I recently got from Amazon don't have any kind of grip texture on them.

Maybe they are the old ones before texture coating. Same good filter.

They had issue with the sand-like coating coming off and getting inside of the filters, so they discontinued it. Perhaps they came up with a new coating that won't flake off? If so, they're on filters newer than the ones I received.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The 4 PureONE's I recently got from Amazon don't have any kind of grip texture on them.

Maybe they are the old ones before texture coating. Same good filter.

If you look at the metallic blue-painted PureOnes that are a bit older now, the box says "98% efficient" These are probably the ones you got from Amazon, which seems to have quite a few of the old stock left. They more directly compare to the current Bosch filters, which are also now made by Purolator, and list the same 98% efficiency on the Bosch box.

Looks like the new, grippy gold PureOnes are more efficient at 99.9% for comparison to the 98%.

Just came back from a GC shopping spree at my local pep boys, saw the new purone filter with this coarse yellow texture, similar to Fram's sure grip. This new yellow texture covers the entire surface area of the filter, looks pretty neat to me.

Actually the new grippy Pure One has been out for at least a year now. And yeah, there were some complaints early on about some of the paint flecking off and showing on the base of the filter. Some from BITOG even emailed Purolator, IIRC eventually they responded by saying they were going to change the paint formula to make it less prone to that issue.

To me it wasn't a big issue, going back and reading a thread from 4/6/08, like one poster said "just wipe it off and use it." Can't say I care too much for the new mustard yellow color, but that doesn't effect the effficiency. And, the ease of installation/removal more than make up for it. The blue one's are the older Pure Ones, but great filters nontheless. Just a slicker surface for hand installation/removal.

I sometimes use Pure One's less efficient cousin Advance Auto Total Grip ($2.88) with a red colored non-slip surface. The AAP TG says made in the USA on the box. The Pure One's I have don't say that but I believe many of their oil filters are made in Fayetteville, NC.

I bought 10 of the Pure One filters from Amazon.com since my 93 Aerostar and 08 Jeep use the same filter. They had just changed the color the to the speckled puke color, and there were some complaints about the paint. Mine all looked good, but I wasn't taking chanced. I contacted Purolator and they swapped them out no questions asked. Great company to deal with and a really good filter IMO.

Quote:
How did it feel writing that?

no nascar wix....only a nascar made by wix.............for napa.

Sorry I stand corrected.

You obviously had a sore nerve and I stepped on it, Sorry.
We make filters for a bunch of customers, some are competitors, some are not. But just because they are manufactured in our plants does not mean they are a "Wix Brand" filter. The only filters that can claim to be Wix Brand Filters Are the ones that say Wix on the label. Made by Wix is not a Wix Filter. Although a lot of the filters that we market are just re-labled Wix filters. Some are below Wix Brand standards but still meet manufacturer, customer and industry standards.

Last edited:
Wix is definitely better construction wise then Purolator, I have also seen post with proof of faulty Purolator construction but I certainly would not condemn the brand as a whole because of that, when some one ask the question of Wix or Purolator common sense is telling me that a OEM OCI is being considered or at least comparing two standard type oil filters, your mention of Amsoil, Donaldson, Royal Purple etc is an entirely different subject and now you are talking about Specialty Oil Filters not Premium.

Originally Posted By: Petty
Wix is definitely better construction wise then Purolator, I have also seen post with proof of faulty Purolator construction but I certainly would not condemn the brand as a whole because of that, when some one ask the question of Wix or Purolator common sense is telling me that a OEM OCI is being considered or at least comparing two standard type oil filters, your mention of Amsoil, Donaldson, Royal Purple etc is an entirely different subject and now you are talking about Specialty Oil Filters not Premium.

1. I've cut apart both. I rank them on-par.

2. Search Bill in Utah's post, he had a VERY defective WIX.

3. Check the WIX China thread currently a few threads below this one.

4. Donaldson and Fleetguard are not specialty filters; AMSOIL and Royal Purple, yes. I can walk into any transport dealer and get either of the former. Readily available, yet premium construction, unfortunately their selection of automotive filters is more limited than that of WIX or Purolator.

Hmmm, I just bought 10 Pure Ones (5 for the car and 5 for the truck) from JC Whitney and they all had the grip texture on them.

Originally Posted By: Burbanite

Hmmm, I just bought 10 Pure Ones (5 for the car and 5 for the truck) from JC Whitney and they all had the grip texture on them.

Metallic Blue PureONE filters = old stock. Amazon.com must have bought tons of the old PureONEs.

I only use WIX and PureOne. When I buy them I get wich ever one is cheaper.
My Truck, wifes car and motorcycle can all use the same filter. Only Wix goes on my bike because its black.

IMO Either of these filters are equally as good and better than any of the mainstream and readily avalible filters out there.

I like K&N's too but I feel that both WIX and PureOne are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back