WIX oil filter 57502 beta info question

Keep in mind that WIX has their own beta ratio format (as shown in post #1) that does not follow the filter industry standard.

What is a decent filter to use? I looked at Donaldson, but they don't have a silicone ADBV which Ford recommends for my vehicle. I don't drive many miles but I would like a decent filter for the miles I do drive..

What is a decent filter to use? I looked at Donaldson, but they don't have a silicone ADBV which Ford recommends for my vehicle. I don't drive many miles but I would like a decent filter for the miles I do drive..
Did you look at the Ascent Filtration tests that were posted?

Champ XL

Rock Auto has them for an excellent price, but you need to buy enough stuff to make the shipping work out.

^^^ Yes, the ChampXL is a good filter too ... been eyeballing them too. Good prices on RockAuto if you get a free shipping order.

20220718_193943.jpg

Could someone explain to me how the micron rating works. I know the smaller the micron rating the better the filter. But that's about all I know. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also what does 90% of 50 microns mean? It sounds like it's only filtering at 90%, in contaminants of 50 microns in size.. but how can that be if the regular Wix does 20 microns. That means the XP is a s***** filter.
It means you have a filter that isn't worth much! 50 microns is one of the worse ratings I've ever see on a filter!

Mentioned this before, but on HD diesel engines, the wear particles of concern in the lube system typically run between 10-30 microns. I'd suspect it's a similar size distribution for gasoline engines.

Mentioned this before, but on HD diesel engines, the wear particles of concern in the lube system typically run between 10-30 microns. I'd suspect it's a similar size distribution for gasoline engines.
Most of the wear studies I've seen say particles 5 to 20 microns. Maybe that is why most filter makers show an ISO 4548-12 efficiency at 20 microns, so you can get an idea how they do with wear particles.

Oil filters designed for extended service intervals commonly have lower efficiency ratings so that they don't load up and go into bypass during the longer interval, e.g. WIX XP. But this is not always the case, e.g. Fram Ultra.

Back