Wix for Ford 5.4l V8 in a 2014 Navigator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read in several places that the Motorcraft filter is the best filter for this engine. However, I got a Wix filter when I bought the oil for the next change. Is that a good choice or should I go ahead and get the Motorcraft.

Motorcraft is fine if I'm having the dealer do a LOF, but if I'm doing my own I'd buy a Wix (but not Wix XP) over a Motorcraft. Both are thread end bypass which seems to be the main selling point of the MC filters by Ford but the Wix seems better constructed to me (more pleats, evenly spaced, no reputation for tearing). this comparison is strait from Motorcraft...not Wix

6SrctFx.jpg

Quote:
this comparison is strait from Motorcraft...not Wix...

The pic of the Wix 51372 in the MC dissection comparo not accurate. Wix must have VERY briefly experimented with a silicone combo valve only to quickly abandon it, not to return in any current Wix/NG automotive application.

The 51372 now sepcs a dome end bypass, and it has been theorized the reason may have something to do with MC patent rights to the FL820s.

A current Wix/NG 5/1372 can be found in the link. Excellent pics.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4009757/Unused_WIX_51372-051815C2_cut_

IMO, either filter will work fine.

^^^ I don't doubt you. However, on my son's 4.6L Explorer when he owned it, he had one quick lube filter with nitrile adbv installed, got a start up rattle the entire oci/fci. Switched back to the 820S, start up rattle gone, and all he used after that for ~5k mi. ocis.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Can't go wrong with either one.

Yep both are good filters. The motorcraft you can usually get cheaper but either one should work great.

Im pretty sure that both Wix And Motorcraft are now made by the same parent company.. Wix was always a good filter in the past.
Lately there have been reported tearing and other quality issues with the Motorcraft filters made by Purolater although i did not have any problems with them personally to date. I may change from Purolater to the Fram Ultra because the Ultra seems to have more threads on the base plate than the Motorcraft does.

Sometime ago, the FL-820s was touted as the best filter for the money (I said this as well) and I ran them on my 2010 FX4 for a 10K, 15K and many 7.5K OCIs with no problems. I would not do that today based upon the issues that have presented themselves in the last year--I would take a WIX Gold over the MC so I would stick with what you have.

WIX > motorcraft, but the difference is not huge.

I use WIX/Napa Gold for my Ford fleet vehicles. 5.4, 6.0 (fun story), 3.7, and 3.5 ecoboost.

Now, I do have a supplier that is making a very good (ie uber cheap) case for bulk order of Motorcraft. Makes me wonder if it was a batch of tearolator made motorcrafts.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Motorcraft is fine if I'm having the dealer do a LOF, but if I'm doing my own I'd buy a Wix (but not Wix XP) over a Motorcraft. Both are thread end bypass which seems to be the main selling point of the MC filters by Ford but the Wix seems better constructed to me (more pleats, evenly spaced, no reputation for tearing). this comparison is strait from Motorcraft...not Wix

6SrctFx.jpg

With the 820, the Wix may have more pleats, but the MC may have more sq inches of filtering media. That is at times the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back