Wix/Filtran inline filters?

Magnefine filters can be hard to source in Canada. Any concerns with the more readily available Wix/Filtran inline ATF filters? I'm not able to find any information regarding filter efficiency, but they have a bypass (unknown PSI) and a large magnet on the inside of the housing according to the Filtran patent printed on the filter: https://patents.google.com/patent/US6139737A/en

Eg Wix 58953 for 3/8":

Magnefine filters can be hard to source in Canada. Any concerns with the more readily available Wix/Filtran inline ATF filters? I'm not able to find any information regarding filter efficiency, but they have a bypass (unknown PSI) and a large magnet on the inside of the housing according to the Filtran patent printed on the filter: https://patents.google.com/patent/US6139737A/en

Eg Wix 58953 for 3/8":
WIX is owned by MANN. I never doubt MANN and many WIX filters are made in MANN facilities in Europe.

Based on the Wix part link above, it seems that Filtran makes the filter for Wix:

1716266051734.jpg

1716264652320.jpeg

Some speculation but if the filter goes into bypass (#52), it seems that the ATF will bypass the magnet (#18):
1716264740884.jpg

Magnefine places their filter right at the inlet so I think it will still capture particles if the filter is in bypass:

1716264897804.jpeg

Otherwise I guess they're more or less the same, other than concerns about the plastic housing weeping/leaking fluid

Last edited:

Eg Wix 58953 for 3/8":
Check amazon.com
That's where I get mine delivered to canuk town

Based on the Wix part link above, it seems that Filtran makes the filter for Wix:

View attachment 220373

View attachment 220369

Some speculation but if the filter goes into bypass (#52), it seems that the ATF will bypass the magnet (#18):
View attachment 220370

Magnefine places their filter right at the inlet so I think it will still capture particles if the filter is in bypass:

View attachment 220372

Otherwise I guess they're more or less the same, other than concerns about the plastic housing weeping/leaking fluid
Yep it will bypass the magnets if the media ever gets too loaded. More importantly to me, it will bypass right through the center and will not wash the non metallic sludge through the dirty side of the filter though. The magnificent style bypasses the same as the Wix/Filtran as well. The Fitran media is a bit more efficient than the Magnifine but the magnet in the magnifine keeps working if it goes into bypass. So there are positives choosing either. If you change it early enough the Filtran is a better choice IMO. If you wanna put it in and forget about it the magnifine is a better option.

Yep it will bypass the magnets if the media ever gets too loaded. More importantly to me, it will bypass right through the center and will not wash the non metallic sludge through the dirty side of the filter though. The magnificent style bypasses the same as the Wix/Filtran as well. The Fitran media is a bit more efficient than the Magnifine but the magnet in the magnifine keeps working if it goes into bypass. So there are positives choosing either. If you change it early enough the Filtran is a better choice IMO. If you wanna put it in and forget about it the magnifine is a better option.

Thanks for the input! After seeing your dissection of the Filtran, I think I am comfortable running either one.

Where did you find efficiency data?

Thanks for the input! After seeing your dissection of the Filtran, I think I am comfortable running either one.

Where did you find efficiency data?
Sure
Attached is the Wix specs sheet for the filtran.

Filtran= 25um cartridge

Magnifine =35um cartridge last I checked and that has been quite a while ago.

The magnets in theses filters make them both more efficient for ferrous metals which matters most.

IMG_1378.jpg

Back