In-Line Transmission Filter Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to install a filter in my 2004 4Runner with a A340F transmission. It has no filter in it, only a mesh screen.

Options are:

1. Magnefine - ( http://magnefinefilters.com/Magnefine-3-8-Magnetic-Inline-Power-Steering-Filter-R038M-P.htm ) assuming I can find a genuine one, these are a pretty good filter in theory. However, I live in a climate where it reaches -40 in the winter. Plastic filters tend to crack and burst with cold fluid pumped at high pressure through them. Magnefine makes an aluminum case version of it's filter, but it's pretty expensive. ( http://magnefinefilters.com/Magnefine-Pe...ilter-P038M.htm )

2. Wix 58964 - ( http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=58964 ) is a re-badged Filtran, also plastic but sealed and with a very high burst pressure rating. Unfortunately, I can only find them with 5/16 fittings and I need 3/8.

3. Use another OEM filter like this tiny one from Honda, probably no magnet in it: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4974918&cc=1501248&jnid=689&jpid=0

4. Mount external filter base and use a hydraulic spin on filter. There seem to be an almost unlimited number of options here. However, hydraulic filters seem to mostly use 3/4-20 thread, rather than the very common 3/4-16 which most remote filter bases come with. So, I'd have to use an adapter or find a hydraulic filter with oil filter threads. I could likely use a good oil filter, however, it's been suggested that hydraulic filters have a better flow rating, bypass pressure and filter to a better micron rating than oil filters for this type of application.

I'd prefer to simply add an in-line for simplicity. You'd think there would be a competitor to Magnefine, with an all metal fuel filter style body, a magnet and bypass valve made just for transmissions and power steering.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi Gannett,
We are in the same boat, as I am looking to add aux something to my GX470 (V8/5spd auto).

1. I share your same concerns with the plastic magnefine as I see drastic temp wings as well. I like the idea of using the aluminum version, however it is threaded for AN-6 fittings.
- Question for the group: What is the best way to plumb the aluminum AN-6 into soft transmission hoses? There are AN-6 barbs but would a aeroquip or other brand be better? Does the hose and fitting have to be the same manufacturer?

2. Someone posted in another thread that the Wix is only in 5/16.

3. That does look tiny.

4. Is it possible for an external filter base to restrict flow compared to stock or a magnefine?

There was a reference in another thread that even the genuine Magnefine can leak (genuine meaning purchased directly from Magnefine). But IMO I would want to see proof of that statement as I think it is a very rare event that a genuine filter would leak.

The Derale 25709 has 3/4-16 threads. I have not yet installed mine in place of my weeping inline filter that I no longer have any confidence in.

It could be my recent thread which is being referred to above.

The Wix hydraulic filter(51622) I could find, did not have any more impressive specs than a standard oil filter.

I got an M1-301 to use with my Derale 25709, but might downsize to a smaller filter, and use the M1-301 on my engine instead.

I've used the NAPA 1-8514 which is a Magnafine relabeled as Raybestos. Never had any problems with them mounted on my Toyota Tacoma transmission line. It gets to -20 degrees occasionally where I live and I've yet to have one leak. I also have a remote spin-on filter mount for my cars auto trans. I run a Wix 51348 or PF-53 oil filter on it. Stuck some Hard Drive magnets on the oil filter to potentially pick up any metal. Either option will filter your trans fluid efficiently.

2 of my vehicles have a magnefine (van and mdx) and the tundra has an external spin-on.

Both magnefines leak at the seam. The one on the mdx has 30k on it (replacement already ordered) and the foam below the radiator and surrounding areas are nicely coated with a film of old, sticky, ATF. The van isn't driven nearly as much, has maybe 6,000 miles on it, and and dust is starting to stick to it as the oil weeps from it. That said, I do feel the magnefine saved the van's tranny from certain destruction after solenoid swap by me under less-than-clean circumstances.

I bought a spin-on mount from amazon for the truck and in a pinch chose a synthetic media mobil 1 oil filter. I did that because space constraints, and that I could walk in the parts store with the mount and go down the aisle and find a filter that a) fit the mount; b) fit the limited space. High quality synthetic media should last the interval. It's been in there for .... 6,000 miles including 500 of heavy towing.... and it doesn't leak. The mount also allowed me to install my electric temp sender for the ATF temp gauge properly. Whenever I can, spin-on will be the go-to. They are just a bit bulky.

Note, my trans as a t-stat that opens a shorter "warming loop" to heater coolant when the trans is cold. It later closes that loop, urging the fluid through the cooling loop. So the filter doesn't see use until the trans fluid starts to warm up. this suits me fine. yours may have similar since it's likely also an aisin trans.

m

When it gets to -45, that plastic magnefine will shatter as if it's made of glass. I can't risk it, because if it lets go, I'll be stranded and likely die. It gets very cold here.

Most "Magnefine" relabels are actually Chinese knock offs, even the Raybestos, ATP, Ford Motorcraft labels - many are actually not made in Australia by Magnefine (and under those labels, were never claimed to be). Many, if not most Magnefine's are also Chinese clones. Even the real ones wont survive the temps I have to live in.

There is a Wix (Filtran) that comes with 3/8" fittings. I believe it's a Wix 58953, although some websites spec this as a 7/16" fitting. AC Delco seems to also sell a 3/8" fitting Filtran relabeled under part # 89001369, or # TF101M. However, my local dealer cannot find either AC Delco part number in his computer. Apparently they're old numbers and no longer in use.

I think my solution is going to be a remote mount

der-25709_w_ml.jpg

something like this:
attachment.php

And likely a Wix 1269 filter ( http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...1269_0006473344 )

This is a hydraulic filter (not an engine oil filter), that uses 3/4-16 threads, filters down to 10 microns, has a bypass valve and looks like it should handle the GPM of a transmission cooler line.

Warning - Hydraulic filters are subject to greater pressures
and the filters have thicker walls to withstand those pressures...

Last edited:
I have a used Magnefine only had 1500 miles on it. PM if interested. Even has a spare filter.

I have a Magnefine Performance Edition Transmission Filter for sale that I only used for about 1500 miles. I have a spare filter for it also. I also have the "barb" connector end for it too. $50 shipped conus.
thanks

MADE OF BILLETED ALUMINUM
the Performance Edition Magnefine Filter and mounting bracket is made of billeted aluminum for
long lasting durability. Filter media and magnet is replaceable!

DESIGNED FOR EASY INSTALLATION
easily installed on both hose and steel lines. Magnefine has simplified steel line
installations with the use of its AN6 fittings. Included mounting bracket allows for simple
filter servicing.

REPLACEABLE FILTER CARTRIGE AND MAGNET
the Performance Edition Magnefine has a replaceable filter catrige and magnet, the filter will last a lifetime.
no need to replace the filter housing.

I'm using several Magnefines with no leaks, even on my power steering return, which carries 30 psi. No issues. But that's just me. No room for spin on Mount.

The media replacement filters for the permenant aluminum magnefine casing is only like $1 cheaper than a new plastic Magnifine. I have a plastic Magnifine on my cooler return line. No leaks or nothing yet
it's a genuine one though. I am however gonna switch to spin on because magmefime only filters non metallic particals to 35 microns nominal. I found at least 2 affordable spin on that filter 6 microns at 50% and 5 microns to some extent I couldn't tell ya. It's the Harley Davidson 5 micron filter and wix version of that. Wix version is a little cheaper and has same specs. Someone else said fram filters 5 at%80 percent. Not sure though. Racor spin on os o think 6 micron absolute bit expensive.

I've also got the wix inline magnetic filter on a different car for about 20000 now no problems. 5\16 is like only a hair smaller than 3/8 the hose clamp turned a slash tighter doesn't know the difference neither does the flow. It is however made by filtran for wix and filtran sells the 3/8. Wix just slaps a sticker on theirs though filtran is stamped on the filter
Also the wix/filtran media filters to 25 micron nominal while Magnifine is 35 nominal. However I talked to wix before and they claim the magnet captures 95% of metal while Magnifine claims 99% metal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back