Which Spin on for Remote Trans Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about something such as the Wix XP pr Napa Platinum? Should filter much better than anything in the trans, but with the synthetic media and lowly beta 2 efficiency, I would think you could go with a pretty long service interval (easily a year, maybe more?)...

Fixing to install a Derale 3/4"-16 remote kit on my 14 Ram (8HP70). Will spin on a Fram Ultra XG3600. This remote spin-on will replace a Magnefine. Spin-on just a better choice.

I am now wondering what type of service interval to use with this filter? Trans/Ram has 19K miles on her. I was thinking going at least 30K miles.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I just put a Parker 3-micron 20GPHhydraulic filter and WIX filter head in my Lincoln Mark VIII. The filter was not cheap ($24), but should last half of forever, given that it is meant for much higher capacity systems than a transmission.

Going to monitor results, and start using this in more of my vehicles.

DoubleWasp, was the 20GPH description a misprint? 20 gallons per hour? Seems like that's
too low flowing for a transmission...?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
GPM. Meant to write GPM, and my auto-correct did its own thing.

Thanks for the clarification; I thought that was a typo but
you never know for sure...

Those sound like nice filters, with plenty of flow and excellent
filtering.

Found this on e-trailer.

Expert Reply:
I spoke with my contact at Derale and on the Replacement Filter # D13092 it has a micron rating of 21. He stated that you do not want to go more fine than that because it can strip out the abrasives in the transmission fluid that are needed for proper operation of the transmission.

What is everyone's thoughts on that reply from the Derale tech?

Ran these for years with XG16 oil filter - that is lower than pan filter - and the trans is 100k from the dealer ...
I did add the MagnaFilter above the oil filter ...
Have drain plug and do pan flip yearly - clean/fast/easy/cheap ...

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Fixing to install a Derale 3/4"-16 remote kit on my 14 Ram (8HP70). Will spin on a Fram Ultra XG3600. This remote spin-on will replace a Magnefine. Spin-on just a better choice.

I am now wondering what type of service interval to use with this filter? Trans/Ram has 19K miles on her. I was thinking going at least 30K miles.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think 30K filter change intervals would be about right. Seems I read somewhere that new transmissions had
all sorts of manufacturing debris inside, and that the first filter change was the most important.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Found this on e-trailer.

Expert Reply:
I spoke with my contact at Derale and on the Replacement Filter # D13092 it has a micron rating of 21. He stated that you do not want to go more fine than that because it can strip out the abrasives in the transmission fluid that are needed for proper operation of the transmission.

What is everyone's thoughts on that reply from the Derale tech?

Yikes! If that were true, the gears, bearings, clutches, etc. would be worn out long before the warranty
was up. There are friction modifiers in ATF but not abrasives, as far as I know. The 'tech' you spoke to
must have been the floor sweeper that was covering the phones while everyone was at lunch...

So what are everyone's thoughts? Is the remote spin-on transmission filter better suited for the use of a hydraulic filter or regular oil filter?

I have access to the Donaldson P-551327
It will fit on my 3/4"-16 thread base.

Last edited:
I have also heard information that I want the lowest psi (by-pass pressure valve)in this application. Which leans me me towards the Wix 51515XP which is 8-11 psi.

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. You can get better micron filtration with a dedicated hydraulic filter, but you can't go wrong with a good oil filter. It's a whole lot better than nothing.

Again, with a 2-micron hydraulic filter, you are going to have to be on your A-game when it comes to replacement. First replacement at 50 hours, remaining at 250 hours operation. Must be done at engine hours rather than miles.

So Doublewasp: Should I be concerned about the by-pass relief valve PSI in my case?

Thank you for your advice!

I will say I have a Luber finer pH 253 filter on right now which shows to have a bypass pressure relief valve pressure of 12. As far as I can tell there are no issues at this point. But it has not been freezing cold either.

I will probably just stick with the Wix 51516 XP. And change it out every 20,000 miles

Last edited:
My .02 - there is a Derale with 2+2 ports - if you run a fine filter you could put a pressure sensor right ahead of the filter - establish a base line psi - and go from there. (Add temp to other outlet port if you do heavy towing) ...

Thanks for everyones advice. 4WD: I already have everything installed and have zero leaks or drips. I am not changing a thing. I will just use the 51516XP with a filter mag. It shows to have a by-pass relief valve psi of 8-11 that is one of the lowest I have seen. There are a few with 7. I will see what happens this winter.

Assume you're removing the internal filter and/or media? The point of an external spin on is so you never have to open the pan again right? If you leave the internal filter, sooner or later you're going in anyways. And what about flow? The fluid flow means everything to a transmission's performance. Two filters effect flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back