Donaldson Endurance For a Transmission Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing a little research on Donaldson Endurance Oil filters and have found some on the Donaldson site that have a 99% Efficency at 15 microns. I have got a 3/4-16" filter base but can't find a Donaldson Endurance Oil filter with 3/4-16" threads. I am wanting to make a filter setup for my transmission on my 1994 Mercury Sable 3.0 Vulcan. The tranny is a AX4S. Right now I have a Frantz Transmission adapter installed on a cooler line and a Magnefine 3/8" filter in place of a TP filter. So I am wanting to find a filter thats not a TP style to instal in place of what I have right now. I was almost thinking about a Hydraulic filter. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to install a Magnefine filter after the spin-on filter because of the Magnet advantage. I would be willing to buy a filter base if I had to so I could run a good size Donaldson Endurance. So does anybody know what would be a good spin-on style filter for my application?

I use a standard 3/4-16 oil filter base for my transmission filter. Because of space the largest filter I can install in a wix 51516.

I have been using regular engine oil filters. It has a Fram XG3600 on it now.

So far every filter I have cut open (usually under 5k miles) are black with goo. The media is black, and the base plate has a layer of black stuff. The media doesn't seemed plugged at all (but what would I know)

I think the filter performs better than spec because of the lower flow rates.

I wouldn't stack filters in a trans cooler line. But to make sure you are 100% safe measure the flow rate of the transmission at idle.

With the cooler line unhooked run the engine for 15 seconds and measure what it put out (like in an empty gallon that already has qt. marks). multiply quarts by 4 and your have GPM. Make sure the GPM stays about the same after adding filter(s)

Anyway you might have luck trying to cross a common 3/4-16 filter, wix 51515 (FL1a).

I crossed 51515 on fleetguard website and it came up with an upgrade LF3487 (syn media) and when I cross LF3487 at Donaldson site it came up with Donaldson P169071 (synteq) which is 99% at 22 micron.

Last edited:
Any 3/4"-16 threaded filter from your local auto parts store will work fine.

Do you have room for the PH3614, PH3600, PH16, PH8A, or PH977 filter?

If so, use any of the boutique versions of whatever brand is available locally to use. These are good: Purolator Pureone, Mobil1, RoyalPurple, Fram Xtendedgard, Bosch DistancePlus, Amsoil EA0, Napa Gold, Trasko..... are great choices. Toss on some magnets or a Filtermag/Filterdot/Magnesaver/FilterPlus/Powermag and keep driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back