Wix filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are wix filters as good as years past? I have used Wix for about 15 years and never had a problem. Every now and then I will check on the products I use to see If they still get a thumbs up. That being said, what about Wix?

Well made, but I had a few leakers though on the subaru since it didnt have a P-ring gasket - just a flat gasket. Also the filter elements are typically smaller than Purolator by far, given great amount of space the base-side bypass valve assembly wix uses. So if your car is using a small form-factor filter I would go with Purolator. On my 1.5L Yaris I use a wix brand 2azfe camry filter which has same specs but is 1/4 longer.

I am actually thinking of springing for a Wix for my truck since everything cheaper I have found including Purolator has the dome end bypass. Also only a Fram 3950 has less filter area than the current L10193.

Originally Posted By: mikebtexas
Are wix filters as good as years past? I have used Wix for about 15 years and never had a problem. Every now and then I will check on the products I use to see If they still get a thumbs up. That being said, what about Wix?

I think Wix is still a pretty good filter. I will say that I tend to use Purolator Pure One a bit more often than Wix these days because I've had a few Wix that seemed slow to build oil pressure after an overnight, indicating some leakage at the ADB valve. Ironically that's why I used to buy Wix exclusively, because they DIDN'T do that. Also my last UOA on my wife's PT Cruiser with a Wix had a little more insolubles than I'd like to see, but it might still be "cleaning up" after switching to synthetic from whatever quick-change bulk poo that it had with its previous owner. I changed that filter over to a Pure One after the UOA and I'll run it out to about 5-6 k miles and do another one. should be a good test of the Pure One's ability (or lack thereof) to lower insolubles relative to a Wix.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I think Wix is still a pretty good filter. I will say that I tend to use Purolator Pure One a bit more often than Wix these days because I've had a few Wix that seemed slow to build oil pressure after an overnight, indicating some leakage at the ADB valve. Ironically that's why I used to buy Wix exclusively, because they DIDN'T do that. Also my last UOA on my wife's PT Cruiser with a Wix had a little more insolubles than I'd like to see, but it might still be "cleaning up" after switching to synthetic from whatever quick-change bulk poo that it had with its previous owner. I changed that filter over to a Pure One after the UOA and I'll run it out to about 5-6 k miles and do another one. should be a good test of the Pure One's ability (or lack thereof) to lower insolubles relative to a Wix.

+1, I agree with your whole statement and going to give the pure one a try at next OC.

Excellent filter, Very Robust.
Though I was a little disappointed when I did a LOF on my Aunt's Tucon. The Wix I picked up said made in Mexico. I thought they were all made in the US. I also did another on my friends Elantra with a Wix, and it too was made in Mexico. (Same Filter)
I'm gonna check the Napa Golds next time I do an oil change.
(Other that the 3 I need to do tomorrow. I already have the filters)

Justin

I recently switched to Napa Golds after using AC Delcos for many years. Only reason I picked a branded Napa Gold over Wix (even though they are the same filter) is because there is a Napa store around the corner. Cost about $7. No problems. I'm sold on them after seeing their construction.

geez ... that seems like a long time; i'd change it.

I saw a disturbing post by River Rat today. He said some of them leak between the end cap and media. didn't Dana sell them off? Any product needs to earn a new reputation under new ownership.

Originally Posted By: labman
I saw a disturbing post by River Rat today. He said some of them leak between the end cap and media. didn't Dana sell them off? Any product needs to earn a new reputation under new ownership.

Old news is no news. It's been 5 years. And Wix is still around. And Dana is out of bankruptcy.

This is also Wixs' 70th Anniversary year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinC25
Excellent filter, Very Robust.
Though I was a little disappointed when I did a LOF on my Aunt's Tucon. The Wix I picked up said made in Mexico. I thought they were all made in the US. I also did another on my friends Elantra with a Wix, and it too was made in Mexico. (Same Filter)
I'm gonna check the Napa Golds next time I do an oil change.
(Other that the 3 I need to do tomorrow. I already have the filters)

Justin

The cartridge filter for my GM 3.6 V6 was made in Poland. It had fewer pleats that the AC filter I removed, so I'm going back with AC next time. Might not make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back