Wix filters for Hondas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a bizarre incident while purchasing Wix filters for my '03 Odyssey.

The Wix website says to use #51356 for my van with the 3.5L V6. Dimensions are 3.4" high, 2.7" diameter...didn't think too much of it.

Standing at the counter I opened the box and there was this THING in there - my daughter has little teacups bigger than it! I thought I must have gotten it mixed up with the little thimble they use for the Insight. I come to find out that the Insight filter is #51365 and is 2.7" by 2.7"! I had the "right" filter for the Odyssey but it looked terribly small.

So the counter guy and I check the book, which guides us to 51334 (3.2" by 3.2"), which is "more like it" in my mind just from looking at it, and an acceptable alternative on the website (checked it when I got home).

Well, I calculated the volumes of the two filters:

51334: approx 25.5 cubic inches
51356: approx 24.5 cubic inches

So, there's no practical difference between the two other than the way they look (short & fat vs. taller & slim)...
dunno.gif
Feel like an idiot!

I have the Wix 51356 on my Acura and it has the same dimensions as the OEM filter. It's about 3.3" high X 2.7" in diameter. I calculate the volume at about 17.8 cubic inches. The oversize 51334 that you bought has about 25.5 cubic inches volume.

Bigger size doesn't necessarily mean more media. You have to cut them open and measure the media area.

Use the Wix #51344 rather than the #51334.
The 51334 has a filter element that is about one-half the size of the can it fits in.
51334 = about 115 sq/in.
51344 = about 165 sq/in.
51356 = about 75 sq/in.
Take your pick.
All three fit most Honda engines (Subaru also).
Thanks.

"All the important specs are the same for all three filters."

Um, I'm not so sure about that!
nono.gif

The bypass valve setting for the larger 1344 is lower than 1334. 8-11psi versus ~20psi for the 1334. That larger filter isn't helping much if the filter spends too much time in bypass mode.
spaz.gif

Also, Molakule said he mic'd the threads and they are different. Read the current Nissan oil filter topic here, especially page 2.

"I have cut open "big" wix filters and found 1/2 size filter elements inside."

Me too. So, for Hondas calling for Fram 3593a, Wix 51334, etc ... I preferred Hastings LF-402 over the Wix.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
"All the important specs are the same for all three filters."

Um, I'm not so sure about that!
nono.gif

The bypass valve setting for the larger 1344 is lower than 1334. 8-11psi versus ~20psi for the 1334. That larger filter isn't helping much if the filter spends too much time in bypass mode.
spaz.gif

[/i]
--- Bror Jace

All else being equal, the larger filter are will result in a lower pressure drop through the filter. The filter with the bigger element and lower bypass pressure might actually spend less time in bypass.

Great info!

But how do we reconcile what the Wix rep said with the fact that 3MP ran that tiny Napa Gold (WIX) filter with Mobil1 for so long? Didn't he get like 12,000 miles out of it?

What about the fact that most cars are recommending 5-7.5K drains?

I'm thinking there might be some marketing (reinforcement of the 3K OCI) as well as technical advice going on...

Great info from Wix in that link. The smallest one actually filters the best. That's what I use on my 03 Si.

XS650: "All else being equal, the larger filter area will result in a lower pressure drop through the filter. The filter with the bigger element and lower bypass pressure might actually spend less time in bypass."

I had thought this might be the case at the time but I didn't want to chance it so I switched back to the #1334, then found some cheaply-priced Filtech filters and settled on the Hastings when my source of Filtechs dried up.

"All three filters; 1344, 1334 & 1356 have the same bypass setting according to the Wix website: 8-11psi."

Gosh, I have heard so much conflicting evidence on these bypass filter ratings. I know I saw something official (parts catalog, etc ...) which spooked me at the time (2+ years ago).

Oh well, I need to do more research ... but if the #1344 threads are not the same as #1356, it won't do my Nissan 2.5L any good.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:

Oh well, I need to do more research ... but if the #1344 threads are not the same as #1356, it won't do my Nissan 2.5L any good.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

The Hastings online filter catalog has a good amount of useful information, such as thread size, filter size, bypass pressure, anti drainback valve...
http://catalog.hastingsfilter.com/

Hastings crossovers to Wix 1334, 1344 and 1356 all show 20mmx1.5 thread. Bypass pressure varies a bunch for the different filter numbers.

quote:

Originally posted by mrhonda:

quote:

SpitIX;
Great info...thanks. We'll see if we can wedge that 51344 in there

Let us know if the ADBV is nitrile or silicone. The ones I've been getting are black nitrile (Napa Gold, same thing).

I just recently bought a 1334 from napa and it's the red/orange(more orange than red) silicone valve.

Is there such thing as a black silicone valve? The box for my 1334 says right on there that it has a silicone valve. Does you box state that? I think perhaps you are getting older stock.

quote:

I just recently bought a 1334 from napa and it's the red/orange(more orange than red) silicone valve.

Is there such thing as a black silicone valve? The box for my 1334 says right on there that it has a silicone valve. Does you box state that? I think perhaps you are getting older stock.

The 1344's I've been buying are Napa Gold; in a Napa Gold Box. If memory serves me, the diagram on the box states 'silicone ADBV'. I think they might be cheaping out on the ADBV as these are typically used in towmotors. I doubt Wix even knows that us Honda drivers are even using them. I'm going back to the 1334 at my next change.

All the Wix #51356, 51334 and 51344 filters I've seen and used have the orange ADBV in them.
BTW, these filters have a 20x1.5mm thread and should not be used on Nissan KA24, 2.4L motors which have a 3/4-16 inch thread.
For those getting confused about the filter specs, go to: www.wixfilters.com
There are complete specs for each filter.
Thanks.

Thanks for posting that link, Spitfire. I used to go to their site all the time but never found that level of detail. Must be a fairly new upgrade ... or I haven't thoroughly explored their site too recently.

mrhonda: "The 1344's I've been buying are Napa Gold in a Napa Gold box. If memory serves me, the diagram on the box states 'silicone ADBV'. I think they might be cheaping out on the ADBV as these are typically used in towmotors. I doubt Wix even knows that us Honda drivers are even using them. I'm going back to the 1334 at my next change."

You may be right regarding "they have no idea about Honda drivers" bit. If you look at the applications (a link on the specs page) for the 51344, you'll see mostly forklifts listed. This filter used to be spec'd for older Hondas ... but obviously no longer.

BUT!!

I can't see them cheapening the filters for tractors and fork trucks. Typically, the commercial/heavy duty/long haul filters are built better than passenger car filters.
dunno.gif

I cross referenced (printed them out and everything) the 51356 (specified for my Nissan 2.5L QR25DE) and the 51344 and they are the same in all the critical areas ... but the larger filter has over 50% more volume. Gaskets are very close and I doubt they will be a problem.

Next time I'm at a NAPA store, I think I'm gonna buy a 1344 and see if the area around my filter mounting port will allow it to fit.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back