WIX Filter Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I stopped the video at around 2:20 and you can clearly see that the filter has already been cut. This clearly is a fraud like probably most of the filter failure pics and videos out there.

I looked at both videos again. The one where he's talking about the filter puking oil from the gasket, the WIX is clearly not cut open yet when he picks it up at time 1:24. Then he shows the center tube is crushed and then shakes it all right there between 1:24 and 1:35.

If you look at the video when it is cut open, the cut is ~1/8" below the rolled seam on the base. So, when he shakes it and the guts rattles around, the filter isn't cut open yet. There is some missing paint on the edge of the base ring ... but that is not the cut which is way below that point. Not buying into the conspiracy theory just yet.

In the first video which is the 2nd video posted in the this thread by sajac where the guy pretends the filter hasn't been cut open, you can see that the filter top shows evidence of being tampered with. If you stop the video at the right point at 2.20 you can see the filter has clearly been cut.

The filter can had been cut when he presents it as an intact filter. There's no doubt about it and I'm sure if other people stop the video at 2:20 they will see the can has been cut.

In the first video which is the 2nd video posted in the this thread by sajac where the guy pretends the filter hasn't been cut open, you can see that the filter top shows evidence of being tampered with. If you stop the video at the right point at 2.20 you can see the filter has clearly been cut.

The filter can had been cut when he presents it as an intact filter. There's no doubt about it and I'm sure if other people stop the video at 2:20 they will see the can has been cut.

Have to disagree. Look at the shape of the can near the base seam at 1:24 and then again at your 2:20 ... same exact shape. It is very clear that there is no cut in the can at 1:24 or 2:20. I don't know what you think is the cut in the can, but to me it's clear there is no cut.

Do you see a cut in the can at 1:24 where there is a nice clear side view of the can? He shows the imploded guts and shakes it and it rattles all around between 1:24 and 1:35 with no video cuts.

If you go to the link and start at scene 2:18 you can see the filter has a suspicious line from a cut and if you are quick on the pause button and stop it at 2:20 as he grabs the filter the camera angle and focus clearly show the cut line.

It doesn't matter what you think you see at 1:24 because the camera angle and focus does not give enough detail to see the cut. It's only at 2:18-2:20 is the camera angle and focus clearly on the cut seam.

The filter's been cut. There's no doubt about it, you just want to believe the filter could fail in such a manner when it wouldn't in the first place.

If you go to the link and start at scence 2:18 you can see the filter has a suspicious line from a cut and if you are quick on the pause button and stop it at 2:20 as he grabs the filter the camera angle and focus clearly show the cut line.

The filter's been cut. There's no doubt about it, you just want to believe the filter could fail in such a manner when it wouldn't in the first place.

I really don't see what you think you're seeing. Again, is the can cut at 1:24? ... clearly not. Then he shows a shot down the center tube to show the imploded guts and shakes it right there. It all happens from 1:24 to 1:35. Was that all faked out with no obvious video cuts? If so, please explain. If you want to believe it's all staged, then go ahead, but the video clearly shows between 1:24 to 1:35 that it wasn't cut open yet, and the guts were definable damaged and rattling around like crazy.

I don't "want to" believe one way or the other. I do however want to look at the facts to try and determine why it failed. I don't think it was staged based on the fact the guts were messed up and rattling around before the can was cut open, as shown between 1:24 and 1:35 in the video.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If you go to the link and start at scence 2:18 you can see the filter has a suspicious line from a cut and if you are quick on the pause button and stop it at 2:20 as he grabs the filter the camera angle and focus clearly show the cut line.

I really don't see what you think you're seeing. Again, is the can cut at 1:24? ... clearly not. Then he shows a shot down the center tube to show the imploded guts and shakes it right there. It all happens from 1:24 to 1:35. Was that all faked out with no obvious video cuts? If so, please explain. If you want to believe it's all staged, then go ahead, but the video clearly shows between 1:24 to 1:35 that it wasn't cut open yet, and the guts were definable damaged and rattling around like crazy.

I already explaned to you the filter doesn't look right and looks tampered with from the get go. At 1:24 you can see a crease line that doesn't belong there where he cut the filter right under the baseplate. I don't know why you say that crease is normal in the first place. And at 2:20 you get a better view where the cut line is not as clean as at 1:24 and it clearly been cut open. There's no question to me the filter has already been cut.

I already explaned to you the filter doesn't look right and looks tampered with from the get go. At 1:24 you can see a crease line that doesn't belong there where he cut the filter right under the baseplate. I don't know why you say that crease is normal in the first place. And at 2:20 you get a better view where the cut line is not as clean as at 1:24 and it clearly been cut open. There's no question to me the filter has already been cut.

Again ... go look at the other video where it is cut open. The cut is at least 1/8" BELOW the area where you think it's cut. The crease just below the base plate crimp is normal.

If it was cut, you'd see missing paint all along the cut line ... there is no missing paint anywhere at 1:24 that is below the crimp by 1/8" where the cut was made based on what is seen in the 2nd video. Go look at the video where it's cut open ... look where the cut is with relation to the base crimp joint. Now look at the first video and there is no cut at that location on the filter.

You are not seeing the exact same point on the circumference in the two vidoes even if we assume they are the same filter can. In the 2nd posted video that supposedly is an intact filter there is clearly a cut line if you stop the video at the right time. Why you don't see the filter looks suspicious and tampered with in the first place I don't get.

The WIX filter number in the video is clearly seen as 51374.

Here's that same exact filter on WIX's website. Look closely at the area near the base crimp. It has the same exact shape.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51374

5674_1.gif

To others reading this ... do you think the WIX filter is already cut open between 1:24 and 1:35 in this video? Chime in ... need more points of view.

Note - watch this video on YouTube itself for better video size and clarity.

The Wix photgraph show a thick crease but this guy's filter doesn't have a crease so much as thinner line (cut line) through the crease. It's at 2:20 where you can see the cut line the best.

The Wix photgraph show a thick crease but this guy's filter doesn't have a crease so much as thinner line (cut line) through the crease. It's at 2:20 where you can see the cut line the best.

Forget about 2:20 ... explain where the cut is at 1:24 to 1:35 and why the guts are damaged and rattle around.

To others reading this ... do you think the WIX filter is already cut open between 1:24 and 1:35 in this video? Chime in ... need more points of view.

Note - watch this video on YouTube itself for better video size and clarity.

I can see signs of a cut line where a thicker crease should've been. The better suggestion is to go to 2:20 in the video where the cut is much more apparent.

Forget about 2:20 ... explain where the cut is at 1:24 to 1:35 and why the guts are damaged and rattle around.

I already explained that at 1:24 the crease looks different from the Wix photo and that there are slight signs of a cut line. The whole filter looks tampered with to begin with. Why do you say forget 2:20 when it's suppose to be the same filter in an unedited video. Why should we disregard the scene that shows the most obvious section of where the filter has been cut and that captures the best camera angle and focus of the cut through the crease?

I already explained that at 1:24 the crease looks different from the Wix photo and that there are slight signs of a cut line.

Do you see a cut in this photo? If so, where? This is a zoomed in screen shot of the video at exactly 1:24.

WIXFilterNotCutOpen.jpg

The whole filter looks tampered with to begin with. Why do you say forget 2:20 when it's suppose to be the same filter in an unedited video. Why should we disregard the scene that shows the most obvious section of where the filter has been cut and that captures the best camera angle and focus of the cut through the crease?

The best and most clear shot of the can is at 1:24 ... much better than at 2:20. Plus, the evidence is right there between 1:24 and 1:35 that the guts are highly damaged before it's been cut open.

Yes, NAPA Gold are WIX filters with the NAPA brand on the can.

I didn't see any cut line at 1:24 to 1:35 or from 2:16 to 2:25. From what I saw on video posted by Sayjac, I paused and look at the video frame by frame around those times, the Wix filter wasn't tampered.

I never had any Wix filter, the last Fram Extra Guard spin-on filter I used on my LS400 was more than 6-7 years ago. One time I had Fram cartridge filter on my E430 I wasn't impress with it.

When I first look at the video posted by OP, it looks like the filter's gut was damaged by someone stamped his/her foot on it.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact there does appear to be a thin cut line in the filter's crease in that photo terminating about vertically level with "W" in the Wix sticker and extending past his thumb. The whole thing is very suspicious for a number of reasons besides just the suspicious looking filter and whether there's a cut line.

Let's see if anyone else sees evidence of the filter being cut.

As a matter of fact there does appear to be a thin cut line in the filter's crease in that photo terminating about vertically level with "W" in the Wix sticker and extending past his thumb. The whole thing is very suspicious for a number of reasons besides just the suspicious looking filter and whether there's a cut line.

Let's see if anyone else sees evidence of the filter being cut.

2:20 screen shot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back