Wix 57302 - bad changes

Did my what feels like 100th oil change (actually, probably 30th) oil change on my LR3....always get a Wix 57302 for it. Pulled the new one out of the box and immediately noticed "Made in Mexico". Sigh. Base plate had black over spray on it, double sigh. Looked inside and it had louvers....triple sigh. Looked at the old one and it was holes down the center tube. Put it on, will do a cut and paste in 5-6000 miles. I'm sure it's fine but it seems like there's changes going on. Wish Fram made a TG for it.

If all else is equal, the machine that makes filters in Mexico will perform identically to the machine that makes filters in the USA, you know.

Do you think someone is actually making filters by hand?

Probably thinking that quality control may not be as good.

Originally Posted by Bud
Probably thinking that quality control may not be as good.

Maybe, maybe not. It's not like Mexicans are idiots, and a lot of the QC is also likely done via machine.

How the machines are setup to run and how they are checked and maintain can affect quality. And of course whatever QA steps are in place, and how and who does that.

At first I wasn't worried about it being made in Mexico - it's just it was clearly lower quality. I would've made a thread too if was still American made yet switched to louvers.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
...- it's just it was clearly lower quality. I would've made a thread too if was still American made yet switched to louvers.
Assuming the louvers are adequately open, that's not a reduction in quality.

I went by my local O'Reilly's to check this out for myself. I snapped a couple pics. There's no excuse for the overspray. Definitely not the quality expected from Wix. I couldn't get a good pic if the louvers but they are very small.

20191111_203248_HDR.jpg

20191111_203253_HDR.jpg

Wix quality has been an issue for awhile now,hence the reason their filters aren't used on any of my vehicles.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
I mean,the over spray is a thing, sure, but I really doubt it makes any difference with regards to the filter's performance.

It doesn't, but it makes one wonder. If the QC for that is slipping, what else is slipping?

I would be concerned if the overspray went inside the threaded hole, but apparently it doesn't.
Lots of oil filters with louvers design in the center tube that work just fine... how much oil do our engines need? Why do we think louvers don't flow adequately? Where is the evidence? I see louvers as a possible solution to some of the media tearing, since the open holes may have created pressure points in the media, resulting damage. Can't see why a major filter producer would use this design if it is problematic.
If the filter meets the manufacturer's specs, we are worried about nothing.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Lots of oil filters with louvers design in the center tube that work just fine... how much oil do our engines need? Why do we think louvers don't flow adequately? Where is the evidence?

Depends on how well the louvers are formed. Some instances have been seen where the louvers are barely opened up slits, which will cause unnecessary increased delta-p across the filter. That can make the bypass valve open up way more than it should, and cause unfiltered oil to bypass the filter. So advice is to always look at how open the louvers are before buying or using. Examples of good vs bad louver formation.

Bad Louvers

[Linked Image]

Good Louvers

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
I mean,the over spray is a thing, sure, but I really doubt it makes any difference with regards to the filter's performance.

It doesn't, but it makes one wonder. If the QC for that is slipping, what else is slipping?

A lot of QC tests are pass/fail. If there's no paint in the threads and none inside the filter (which it looks like there isn't), it could still pass.

Ultimately, Wix or any company is only going to go out of pocket to fix something if it actually effects the performance. Mild cosmetic issues like that don't really register.

Just bought a 51215 with the same overspray. Unacceptable
I have about 7 USA made Napa Silvers (made by Wix) in my garage. The ones I have, you can see the quality in each oil filters & they're heavier compared to the Mexican made Wix

Back