Wix 57202 filter: 9k miles 3 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
Just did my three year O/FCI on my Dmax.
The UOA is posted in diesel sub-forum.

Here is the filter pix of Napa Gold 7202 (57202). The writing on can is my info; August of 2011 installation at 33.0k miles with 10w-30. O/FCI was just done at 42k miles this month.

Absolutely no concerns after three years and 9k miles. ADBV is supple. Media strong and no cuts or tears. Pleats very even and no waviness, and firm but not brittle at all. Spring strong. Media still attached firmly to the end plates. No excess sludge in the can (surprisingly clean!). Rust on the outside caused me some concern and made me want to O/FCI, but obviously the inside was in superb shape! What little debris is in the can is from my use of a saw-z-all to cut it open; my version of a filter cutter ...

Three years is a no-brainer; I see 4 or 5 as doable. The exterior rust was superficial and could have been tolerated for a longer period now that I had a chance to examine it closer.

Links to the photos:
http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/dnewton3/media/IMG_0127_zpsc6feb831.jpg.html
http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/dnewton3/media/IMG_0128_zpsa2e08e34.jpg.html
http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/dnewton3/media/IMG_0131_zps2ed0fa26.jpg.html
http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/dnewton3/media/IMG_0132_zps2ed5fc31.jpg.html
http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/dnewton3/media/IMG_0130_zps3d0c1dd4.jpg.html

The UOA clearly showed longer life as attainable. This filter shows the same thing.

Guys and Gals - there is HUGE reserve capacity in fluids and filters today and they will last WAY longer than most of you ever fear to tread.

Last edited:
I think Im at similar length of service on my Amsoil EaO on my CVLX, but it just cracked 20k miles. Itll come off early next month Im thinking. I wouldnt be surprised if it crosses 21k by then.

9k on a gold is by far the furthest I've seen.. Ever. Looks exceptional. I assume the black part is the bypass?

No, the bypass is on the dome end. Small spring loaded plunger. I did not take a pix of it, but i did push it down with my finger and it worked just fine.

The black piece is the mount that hold the ABDV centered in place in the large hole.

So 3 years of glass enhanced cellulose oil filter media soaking in motor oil and no discernible degradation of the media.

This kind of makes a statement as to whether the conventional cellulose component degrades from simply being in contact with motor oil vs. a 'fully synthetic' media.

Looks like external corrosion was the biggest risk on this test case.

I enjoyed reading through your contributions on an older 6 page thread about oil filters and filter testing yesterday evening.

I hear what you're saying, but my truck's owner's manual specifies 8K / 6 month OCI and I want to keep my 5 / 100 powertrain warranty.

To that end, I'm not installing any filters rated by the manufacturer for < 10k miles OCI. I just did an OCI to remove a PureOne at 2942 miles and set myself up for oil changes in October & April in the climate where I live.

IMG_0127_zpsc6feb831.jpg

IMG_0132_zps2ed5fc31.jpg
IMG_0131_zps2ed0fa26.jpg

IMG_0130_zps3d0c1dd4.jpg

IMG_0129_zps5fbcfd54.jpg

IMG_0128_zpsa2e08e34.jpg

Embedded properly for people to actually look at them.
(Something like 65% of people who have to click a link to see an image, won't out of laziness
whistle.gif
)

I run the Wix 57202 in our 6.6 3500 series school buses. About 18 of those in our fleet, also run Wix in our 16 Freightliners. Not a bad word to say.

Road salt here in IN causes all that external rust. In a dry environment it would last a lot longer. I have seen worse, though.

For those who are going to follow OEM plans because of warranty, I can certainly understand that. I'm not bound by that any longer. But if you are going to do 6 month or 1 year FCIs, you might as well buy an inexpensive filter because buying an expensive one will not reduce wear, and only cost more.

Dave-interesting that your filter rusted on the sides/bottom, while my long-term Bosch Distance Plus actually was worst on the top of the baseplate. What, if anything, do you do about rustproofing? My Ram is actually getting surface rust on the frame, control arms, & axles despite religious spraying off after driving in snow/ice, going to try Fluid Film soon.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
For those who are going to follow OEM plans because of warranty, I can certainly understand that. I'm not bound by that any longer. But if you are going to do 6 month or 1 year FCIs, you might as well buy an inexpensive filter because buying an expensive one will not reduce wear, and only cost more.

I disagree to a degree. I do not plan to run a filter beyond the manufacturer's published FCI while under warranty. This is penny-wise and pound-foolish in terms of impact for me anyway if there is a lubrication issue while the warranty is in effect.

Now if only those $1.99 QS filters at Menard's could be fully trusted . . . I'd never heard of the Purolator media issues before joining this forum. Plus they spec a considerably undersize filter for my truck (in fact they spec the same filter for my wife's car
shocked.gif
). So I spend $10 extra a year for Purolator Synthetic filters and don't leave a warranty 'out' by running a filter past it's manufacturer published FCI. They were $1 more at KMart ($7) than a TG2 at Walmart ($5.94) and have the textured surface.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

I disagree to a degree. I do not plan to run a filter beyond the manufacturer's published FCI while under warranty. This is penny-wise and pound-foolish in terms of impact for me anyway if there is a lubrication issue while the warranty is in effect.

Now if only those $1.99 QS filters at Menard's could be fully trusted . . . I'd never heard of the Purolator media issues before joining this forum. Plus they spec a considerably undersize filter for my truck (in fact they spec the same filter for my wife's car
shocked.gif
). So I spend $10 extra a year for Purolator Synthetic filters and don't leave a warranty 'out' by running a filter past it's manufacturer published FCI. They were $1 more at KMart ($7) than a TG2 at Walmart ($5.94) and have the textured surface.

Please do not confuse "inexpensive" with "cheap". Any decent brand name filter will EASILY last the OEM OCI duration.

I would not recommend a no-name, never-heard-of, obviously knock-off filter.

Clean , fresh oil is more important than the oil filter.

I have a Mobil 1 filter on my dad's car that only gets 2500 miles per year, it's been on the car for almost 4 years.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

shocked.gif

Please do not confuse "inexpensive" with "cheap". Any decent brand name filter will EASILY last the OEM OCI duration.

I would not recommend a no-name, never-heard-of, obviously knock-off filter.
Well, you've got me confused - Quaker State and Pennzoil brand filters have been built by Purolator for years and I've certainly had some do-it-for-me oil change places install such brands when I needed a quick change back in the 80's.

So exactly which no-name, never-heard-of, obviously knock off filter brands are you advising against? Do you have a list you can share?

Last edited:
Found a thread from 3 years ago that shows Mobil 1 filter folks have been aware of QS oil filters since at least July 2007, including the link to Purolator.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2370608

Mobil 1 chart (refer to second page of the document)

http://www.mobil.com/Shared-Files-LCW/mobil-1-ep-oil-filter-design_amer_en.pdf

I'll tell you what dnewton3 - we can sort out any confusion on cost vs. value on this brand. If you PM me your Paypal address, I'll send you $5 to go to Menard's and get 2 of the QS filters that are on sale for $1.99 through 10-25-2014. The Menard's web site shows 7 locations in the greater Indianapolis area.

One should be a QS8A, as referenced in the Mobil 1 chart for a virgin vivisection at your hands.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardwa...8088-c-9112.htm

The second would be a model of your choice to subject to your own choice of regimen of field in-service testing followed by autopsy.

Here's what's on the QS web site regarding fitness for service of their brand of oil filters.

http://www.quakerstate.com/#/products/oil-filters

A synthetic blend media composed of the same ingredients as the filter you dissected for this thread.

I don't think what SOPUS has published is facetious, personally.

I just don't trust installing a filter with the dimensions of a Fram PH10575 on my truck where all other brands spec a filter that's dimensionally equivalent of a Fram PH2.

QS filters are OK for a value jobber type filter using a nitrile adbv. They are a Purolator 'made for' that are made to QS specs. Likely very similar to or same as Pep Boys Proline and other Puro jobber filters like Group 7 and ProMotive. Afaik, no QS filters have been reported here with a tear.

However like many jobber/quik lube filters, many applications are downsized/consolidated to the smallest size that fits. One common example is the 7317/14610 which is downsized to the smaller 6607/14612, and there are more applications that do the same.

If you want to use the QS or similar it's something you have to live with. If not, use brand labeled filters from Fram, Purolator or Wix and others to get the spec size.

No, this is a perfect example where the lack of value for my application is completely independent of the price. Clearly there are folks who confuse those 2 terms.

Look just at the gasket dimension of a Fram PH2 vs. a Fram PH10575. I hyperlinked that data in my prior post.

This brand offers me no value for my application based on their filter selection tool (it specifies a QS173).

Fram on the other hand cross-references a QS2 for the PH2. But go to the Menard's web site and put QS2 in the search field and you'll get the same zero hits I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back