Wix 57148 or 57348 For Harley Twin Cam

Good Evening Board,

I am currently using the HiFlo Filtro product - is anyone using the Wix filter on their Harley?

I was at O’Reilly the other day, examined it, looks like a solid filter. The chrome was beautiful and the black one very nice; silicon anti-drain valve, holes not louvers, and the stats at the Wix site is 50% at 6 microns; 95% at 20 microns (2/20 6/20); they state it’s a 5 micron filter. I like the transparency of the filter efficiency stats.

1. My Harley Oil Cap (w/Cutout) is too big for the Wix, and the ones at O’Reilly didn’t fit either - anyone know the cap that would work?
2. The Wix seems shorter than the HD filter, I am thinking it may not be as close to the sensor on the engine which we need to be careful with.

Any thoughts or input?

RevRider

I would stick with a Harley approved filter. Indy shops have told me that and they sell other brands that meet Harley's specs. Since your wrench doesn't fit, I would be worried about the base not being big enough.

I would stick with a Harley approved filter. Indy shops have told me that and they sell other brands that meet Harley's specs. Since your wrench doesn't fit, I would be worried about the base not being big enough.
Good point, thanks for sharing it.

and the stats at the Wix site is 50% at 6 microns; 95% at 20 microns (2/20 6/20); they state it’s a 5 micron filter. I like the transparency of the filter efficiency stats.
I'd take the Wix efficiency claims with a grain of salt. 50% at 6 microns would be outstanding efficiency, but they seem to give the same 2/20=6/20 rating for most of their filters, and they never seem to filter all that well based on independent tests or in particle counts from UOAs.

Most filters with that same 2/20=6/20 beta rating are listed with a nominal efficiency of only 21 micron, when it should be 6 micron according to the published beta rating. For your filter it's 5 micron. With this kind of attention to detail, who knows what the actual efficiency is.

Anyway, I'd personally stick with the Hiflofiltro. They're quality filters.

I’ve never used a Wix filter on my Harleys. I will only use wire backed filter on my Harleys. On my ‘89 EG with an Evo motor, I’m currently using an OG FRAM Ultra, XG3614. I’ll be changing that soon and will be installing a FRAM Endurance, FE3614.

On my 2018 Tri Glide with the M8 motor, I’m using an OG FRAM Titanium, FS3614.

According to the FRAM website, it says a PH6022 motorcycle filter is what fits both bikes. If you compare the specs on the 6022 to the 3614 they are almost identical including the relief valve setting.

Another option is to use a Premium Guard “5 Micron” filter. You can get them on Amazon for around $14.

https://premiumguard.com/portfolio/5-micron/

IMG_0558.jpg

I'd take the Wix efficiency claims with a grain of salt. 50% at 6 microns would be outstanding efficiency, but they seem to give the same 2/20=6/20 rating for most of their filters, and they never seem to filter all that well based on independent tests or in particle counts from UOAs.

Most filters with that same 2/20=6/20 beta rating are listed with a nominal efficiency of only 21 micron, when it should be 6 micron according to the published beta rating. For your filter it's 5 micron. With this kind of attention to detail, who knows what the actual efficiency is.

Anyway, I'd personally stick with the Hiflofiltro. They're quality filters.
I've used the HiFlo for years, no issues. Just wished they published their efficiency specs. They only state it meets or surpasses OEM requirements.

I’ve never used a Wix filter on my Harleys. I will only use wire backed filter on my Harleys. On my ‘89 EG with an Evo motor, I’m currently using an OG FRAM Ultra, XG3614. I’ll be changing that soon and will be installing a FRAM Endurance, FE3614.

On my 2018 Tri Glide with the M8 motor, I’m using an OG FRAM Titanium, FS3614.

According to the FRAM website, it says a PH6022 motorcycle filter is what fits both bikes. If you compare the specs on the 6022 to the 3614 they are almost identical including the relief valve setting.

Another option is to use a Premium Guard “5 Micron” filter. You can get them on Amazon for around $14.

https://premiumguard.com/portfolio/5-micron/
Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

You’re welcome. 🍻 I think the PG “5 Micron” filter has an efficiency of something like 96% @20 microns.

IMG_0559.jpg

Last edited:
Back