Wix 57055 leaking at seam

I have always liked Wix and never had a problem (Mann Hummel buyout looks to have changed things?). Today when I checked under the Subaru Forester's hood there was oil all around the filter. Filter was changed about 500 miles ago. It was on tight, but I could still loosen by hand. There is a bump on the seam that is irregular where it was seeping. Pretty sure it is not a dent. The bump feels like metal and it is all painted over.

Lost about 1/2 quart and made a mess including an oily and squeaky serpentine belt.

I put a new 57055 back on from the stash. Same date about 10 minutes older, but the seam looks even all the way around.

Pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_9287.jpg
    IMG_9287.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_9288.jpg
    IMG_9288.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9289.jpg
    IMG_9289.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_9290.jpg
    IMG_9290.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_9291.jpg
    IMG_9291.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 135
Hmm. That’s the second Wix in a few weeks with crimp issues it appears. Did you notice any leaks after the filter change, or did you run it once you found the leak to see if it was visible?

Did you call Wix to see if they’ll send you a replacement?

I didn't see a leak right away after I put it on, but now I am going to flash a light down there to look at after installing a new filter.

I didn't run it after found it either; I assumed it was the filter and they spin off mostly dry if not started for a few hours making less mess. I have not called wix, but will next week.

Not the first WIX reported here with a leaky base seam. Definitely contact WIX and show them photos. That's the only way companies might take customer feedback to rectify quality problems.

The observed bad spot on the crimp could be the issue. Is it possible the the convex baseplate is making content with the mounting surface before the gasket is sealed properly? I know that some WIX filters will do that on V-Twin mower engines.

The observed bad spot on the crimp could be the issue. Is it possible the the convex baseplate is making content with the mounting surface before the gasket is sealed properly? I know that some WIX filters will do that on V-Twin mower engines.
The baseplate and gasket looks pretty flat when I put it on a flat surface. I didn’t feel metal hit bottom when installing. Before I took it off I turned it on tighter and it still moved so I doubt it was bottomed out. It looked like the leak was from the crimp itself.

Faulty base seam? No, it's user error, over tightening causing crimp leakage. Did you really follow the installation instructions?

I have always liked Wix and never had a problem (Mann Hummel buyout looks to have changed things?). Today when I checked under the Subaru Forester's hood there was oil all around the filter. Filter was changed about 500 miles ago. It was on tight, but I could still loosen by hand. There is a bump on the seam that is irregular where it was seeping. Pretty sure it is not a dent. The bump feels like metal and it is all painted over.

Lost about 1/2 quart and made a mess including an oily and squeaky serpentine belt.

I put a new 57055 back on from the stash. Same date about 10 minutes older, but the seam looks even all the way around.

Pictures below.
My brother had one of these for a silverado do the same thing last year and he lost his engine due to no oil, not a real big oil checker mind you but anyway. Wix paid to have his engine replaced but it was almost 2 months of him going between wix and gm to get them to pay the dealership. That’s why I just take mine to the dealer anymore f something dumb like this happens with a part it’s a gm part a gm dealership used it’s their problem to go through the process.

Back