WIX 57002 Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIX 57002

This filter came out of a Mazda CX-5 2.5 with an OCI of about 7500 miles. No obvious large metal flakes or media failure. Started cutting it open with a hacksaw a little above the seam, little did I know, I was cutting into the base! I got a little suspicious after about a 1/4" of metal.....So I got fed up and tried to pry the filter open with a screwdriver, ended up opening up a little hole into the filter cavity. Ohhhh.... Was fed up with using the saw, so I just hammered the screwdriver through the metal and pried it open.

How's it look?

Last edited:
I wonder if in 2nd pic media tore or?

Louvers look good though
smile.gif

Thanks for c&p

I manhandled the thing with a screwdriver, that would explain any tears. But the joining of the two halves and how they are inset with the filter caught me as odd.

I've been wondering what it looked like in there. I have a 57002 sitting in stock. I havent used it because well I dont know. Maybe I am just too scared not to use the dealer one. I do know its more expensive than the dealer filter... Really looks about the same as the made in Mexio filter mazda sells, I think they are made by wix.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
When did we get louvers on a Wix?
I don't mind them (they seem to be open well), but did not know they had started moving to them.

Hopefully it's just on the "made in Mexico" ones but the NAPA GOLD from the friends Audi had louvers as well so
21.gif

I don't mind a well made louver filter, I actually think they probably flow better.
Seeing how some louvers are poorly done always make me check though.
I passed on a few of the $5 Bosch Distance clearance filters @ Walmart due to poor louvers.

Hopefully Wix quality stays high as it always has.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I don't mind a well made louver filter, I actually think they probably flow better.

The 51358s I use for the G37 had louvers as of late. I had one with closed louvers, and simply exchanged it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back