WIX 51334

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a WIX filter for my moms Elantra only to realize it was "Hecho en Mexico." I had bought one last year for it as well, but it was US made IIRC. Boo is all I have to say.. and for a normal price of $8 at Oreillys, I think Ill stick to a Fram TG or OEM.

I had used one of their $5 off $10+ so I bought one for the 3.8 Jeep too making the final price about $4.50 each before tax. The 3.8 seems to like them on start up and are US made.. Ill stick with WIX for that at least. Its so quiet on start up with a WIX, I hesitate to try a Fram TG/ Ultra.

This is the same filter that fits my Elantra and they have been made in Mexico for at least 3 years now (or I have been unlucky in the "draw"). I switched to a Fram TG (which was cheaper anyway) and have had good luck with them.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I don't see how the judgments worth that type of tone...

But much like everything on this site, if it makes you sleep better at night.

What tone? Please elaborate.

Will this Mexican filter keep me up at night? Absolutely not.. and I am sure it is of great WIX quality. Just saying how its worth it to me to buy another brand that is cheaper and perhaps US made with the exception of the OEM.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
only to realize it was "Hecho en Mexico." I had bought one last year for it as well, but it was US made IIRC. Boo is all I have to say..
That sets a tone, or maybe its just me being socially inept
confused.gif

Its so quiet on start up with a WIX, I hesitate to try a Fram TG/ Ultra

Then why didn't you stick with what's been obviously working so well for you?

Now I'm confused....

Look on RockAuto, so many choices of well made, silicone ADBV, some probably made in the USA filters to choose from.

Here's the last NG(Wix) 1334 I used for a ~5700mi oci. 52 pleats, ~123 sq.in. of media purchased for ~$3.75 a couple years back at my local Napa semi annual sale. This application happens to be Hecho en Mexico. While I'd prefer made in the US, quality of this one was solid. Very satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to use again. My .02

5ddbe43e-0493-4834-ae26-7e4ea33d2598.jpg

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Here's the last NG(Wix) 1334 I used for a ~5700mi oci. 52 pleats, ~123 sq.in. of media purchased for ~$3.75 a couple years back at my local Napa semi annual sale. This application happens to be Hecho en Mexico. While I'd prefer made in the US, quality of this one was solid. Very satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to use again. My .02

Agreed.
I don't care the brand of filter or COO, that's a (eidt - mod) clean and straight filter for nearly a 6k OCI.

Last edited by a moderator:
only to realize it was "Hecho en Mexico." I had bought one last year for it as well, but it was US made IIRC. Boo is all I have to say..
That sets a tone, or maybe its just me being socially inept
confused.gif

Its so quiet on start up with a WIX, I hesitate to try a Fram TG/ Ultra

Then why didn't you stick with what's been obviously working so well for you?

Now I'm confused....

Look on RockAuto, so many choices of well made, silicone ADBV, some probably made in the USA filters to choose from.

Yes you are confused. I never mentioned I was switching brands on the Jeep.

The reason I typed up this thread was because I was disappointed the filter normally costs $8 and isn't even American made, but is made by an American company. If I could get my hands on some for half the price like Sayjac, then I wouldnt have an issue.

The Wix filters for our KIA are made in South Korea. But all the rest I buy for our common domestic applications are made in the USA. I wouldn't want to pay that much for "made in Mexico" either when I can have a quality American made alternative for less, like a Tough Guard.

Since the coo of a Wix/NG cartridge has now been broached to be fair and put in context, as the links* illustrate some Fram EG and Tough Guard cartridges are made in China.

And the Wix Hyundai/Kia cartridge application(s) have the same coo as the Mahle made H/K oems, S Korea. Which as posted previously on this board is the identical cartridge put in the Fram CH10855 box. As an aside Purolator cartridges in these applications have the same coo.

While I understand the OP's point, my experience isn't the same. Obtaining the 1334 for the price of an orange can with a construction I prefer, silicone adbv and thread end bypass, I'm satisfied. The local Napa's 40% off sale makes them a good value. And, the vast majority of Wix/NG spin on filters are made in the US.

* http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3189705&page=all

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3362539/2

Unfortunately sales like that never make it here to the Midwest. From what I have gathered from other members, my local "sale" price is more than what other folks pay at normal prices.

I have no issue with their Mexican made filter's construction, but I feel their normal price is a bit high compared to other US made WIX filters (and their competition.) I think the TG or OEM will be my choice. Perhaps the Ultra if I can get one for "free" from AAP with promo codes.

As for cartridge filters and COO, for example, the WIX made Napa PS for the GF's Volvo is Polish made.. While it was of excellent quality, I feel there is better out there for the money.. The Mahle OEM being on of them.

If an OEM filter happens to be made outside the US, but is of great quality and cheaper than the alternatives, I say go for it.

I can get the Napa Golds on sale for $3.69 twice a year. The ones I use on the Nissan and Toyota are made in the USA. The one for the Honda is made in Mexico.

They run that smokin' Napa Gold sale here twice a year as well. You really gotta watch for it though. I missed the last one.
33.gif

Unfortunately sales like that never make it here to the Midwest. From what I have gathered from other members, my local "sale" price is more than what other folks pay at normal prices.

Next time you are in your local NAPA, ask them when they run their annual filter sale. I believe it is referred to as the agricultural filter sale.

Every NAPA store gets to pick their own schedule, depending upon which they feel is better for their customers. NAPA sets the prices, and limits the number of weeks the special can run.

Generally, the sales prices are 40% - 50% off. the sale usually includes air, cabin, oil, and spin on ATF filters.

It's really hard to beat the pricing. I stock up on filters for both my cars, getting the NAPA Gold oil filters for less than $4.00/each.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Agreed.
I don't care the brand of filter or COO, that's a (eidt - mod) clean and straight filter for nearly a 6k OCI.

Ever notice on NAPA the filter element is very small....
I guess that b/c the special bypass they use.. However Motorcaft uses a bypass at the top of the oil filter and there Filter element is still regular size.

I'd just use the 1356 NapaGold or 51356 Wix if I desired more media. I too felt the 1334s were fairly small in size, for extended drains I'd be more comfortable with the larger size on my app.

While the physical size of the element itself look smallish, as my post states, I measured 52 pleats @ ~123 sq.in. of media. That amount is more media than either of the equivalent Puro PL14459 or the PL14610 I've used. So physical appearance doesn't tell the complete story.

As far as using the 5/1356 instead, first that application is no longer the spec'd filter for Hondas, the Wix/NG 5/7356 has superseded it. Those would be the smaller dimensioned 7317/14610 equivalents. And while I have not personally measured either, looking at pics of both dissected applications posted on bitog, observing similar pleat spacing and smaller element and same thread end bypass, I'm very doubtful that the media area is more than the topic'd 5/1334.

And at ~$3.75 on sale a good value for me on a solid filter.

The reason I bring up alternates to the 5/1334s is that the others by Wix/Napa standards seem to have better filtration ratings.
21.gif
Not necessarily for more media, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back