Wix 51085 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Wix 51085 was on my Jeep 4.0 for 4,000 miles. Looks pretty good to me. I know it could've gone longer but the engine in the Jeep is pretty dirty inside from previous owner neglect.

I replaced it with a Napa Silver.

photo_2_1.jpg

photo_3_1.jpg

photo_4_1.jpg

photo_5_1.jpg

Quality construction throughout.

How can you improve on that?

Leaf springs??

Plastic bypass???

Fiber end caps????

Extra glue??????

The only thing that causes me concern with a WIX oil filter is that by-pass valve arrangement of metal on metal. How does that arrangement prevent unfiltered oil leaking back to the clean side of the element.?

Filter looks like it held up well. Def looks like a dirty engine. Good choice on the Diamond Grips.

Edit: Thanks for the pics.

Last edited:
The coil retainer spring puts a significant amount of pressure one the entire filter element assembly. Likely one of reasons they use a coil spring for the thread end bypass. And the metal on metal sure covers a much larger area than the Fram's fiber offerings where endcap is supposed to cover the centertube ends with leaf spring pressure alone. I have complete confidence in the seal.

No surprise this one looks good. As I'm now getting the NG's for ~$3.70 on sale, have a substantial stash of them.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Quality construction throughout.

How can you improve on that?

Leaf springs??

Plastic bypass???

Fiber end caps????

Extra glue??????

Rolleyes ... give it a rest, Mr. Zealot.

wix filters are usually good all the way around i had one that the threads looked bad but all the others i bought look great. I started to use wix (Napa Gold) on my personal vehicles when purolater started having issues with quality.
I like the wix filters the media is nice not wavy like the purolater at least so far.. I also buy the wix jobber filters they are really nice so far. If their retail prices were the same as purolater to the public they would outsell them because their quality is great

Looks good. Good choice going with the Silver. I thought I had a faulty one during my last OCI, but after I switched back to the Mopar, I had the same issue. Apparently my Jeep hates oil changes? The ticking upon startup went away after 200 miles or so..

Definitely wanting to give the Silver another try in the future.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
What is the efficiency of these filters?

WIX and NAPA Gold (same filter internally) typically are 95% @ 20 microns. Pretty decent.

I need to check with the local NAPA store.

They sell filters at a pretty good discount everyday so I'm wondering if they even have the semi-annual filter sale at all.

Yeah I'm very happy with how these filters hold up.

I went back to the Silver only because I do short OCIs with the Jeep and feel I wasn't reaching the full potential of the Gold. The Jeep was neglected by the previous owner so its quite dirty inside. I also do short trips so that doesn't really help.

Another fine looking Wix! If those or the Napa Golds would work without start up noise on my picky Jeep they'd probably be my first choice, especially when the Golds can be had on sale every once in a while at killer pricing. For me it'll be the Silvers for my shorter OCI's and no start up noise with those.

Glad they work for you though, nice to have choices. Thanks for cutting and posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back