Wix 1348 String!

Yes, I get that - but were not talking about changing one tiny component that doesn't affect the function - were talking about stuffing a completely different filter in a can and call it the same. Its would be like fram stuffing a filter from the orange can into a Ultra can and saying it works the same therefore it is. That seems to be where this is headed.
In the case of the WIX, maybe it does work the same, or even better than the old WIX ... who knows, As we have seen, a filter manufacturer can change the filter however they want and still call it the same name and model number. Configuration control is real loose in the consumer world like with oil filters. They could even make it perform worse, as long as they show the worse performance numbers in their technical information about the product so they aren't committing false advertisement. An informed consumer is a smart consumer.

Yes, I get that - but were not talking about changing one tiny component that doesn't affect the function - were talking about stuffing a completely different filter in a can and call it the same. Its would be like fram stuffing a filter from the orange can into a Ultra can and saying it works the same therefore it is. That seems to be where this is headed.
Funny you should mention the Ultra...:ROFLMAO:
Seriously, though, this is the unfortunate byproduct of all these companies getting bigger & bigger & buying each other-where else is all that $$$ going to come from??

It would appear that diligence is needed at all facets of life.
Stop watching and they'll sell you an empty can.

Don't call out dirty dj's and radio will get dirtier and dirtier.

Don't raise heck over bad cars and they'll make 'em badder and badder.

As long as the shareholders see upward pointing arrows.

1. Louvers instead of holes
2. Leaf spring instead of coil spring
3. Plastic mesh backing instead of metal wire backing
Louvers have been used by Wix/Napa Gold, XP for a while now, well before other recent changes to other Wix filter internals. As long as open, all good. Anecdotally, I've used many Napa Gold 7356 and most recently Puro US made Bosch Premium 3323, both with louvered tubes. All c&p here, most with light down tube pics to confirm. All good. Champ Labs used louvers on their filters well before M&H mandated use on Purolator and Wix made filters.

Many/(most?) filters use flat/leaf springs, as long as holds element in place, all good. As an aside, Fram rep that used to frequent the board claimed leaf spring better than coil. Don't happen to agree but noting his opinion. My opinion, as long as compression spring holds element in place, either will work fine. I suspect, Wix using coil spring as much a product of holding the thread end bypass piece in place and firmly against endcap to seal, as much as anything else. Hyun/Kia oil filter youtube videos had/has the use of coil spring as a way to identify counterfeit Hy/Kia oil filters. One plus of the leaf spring use, especially smaller Wix application filters, could be larger filter elements. Bypass piece occupied significant space in can.

As for use of polymer mesh backing used now, basically it's what's used on the Puro Boss oil filters. That's not applicable to topic Wix oil filter with blended media though. When used with synthetic media it's very similar to the backing used on Fram Ultra cartridge made in S Korea for PentaStar 3.6L engine. Having tried to cut a similar to/same polymer backing on a John Deere EZ change oil filter, it's a tough material to cut. Very durable.

All that said (yes, a lot), no doubt the changes are cost driven. Eliminating that long used thread end bypass piece especially and coil spring I'd imagine significant savings per unit. I stopped using Napa Gold/(Wix) now because local Napa no longer has semiannual sale which made them ~$4. Normal retail too high for me. If they had the sale again, and no issues with new internals noted and US coo, I'd try/buy again.

1. Louvers instead of holes
2. Leaf spring instead of coil spring
3. Plastic mesh backing instead of metal wire backing
Louvers are perfectly fine when done right- a lot of bitog fear mongering there.

Sorta agree on the leaf spring. The champion labs/fram style of leaf springs seem fine to me but the little flat ones that some others use just dont do much to boost my confidence in a filter.

Plastic mesh backing is perfectly fine. Cut photos have shown it functions as is intended. Holds the media in place.

In most cases as long as the oil filter isn’t failing then it’s serving it’s real purpose. That is to act as a safety guard should some sort of failure occur in the internals itself or in the air filtration system etc.

In some cases where there is a lot of soot or when people choose to drastically extend OCIs it makes since to worry about using very durable, highly efficient oil filters to remove combustion by products etc.

Last edited:
Louvers are perfectly fine when done right- a lot of bitog fear mongering there.

Sorta agree on the leaf spring. The champion labs/fram style of leaf springs seem fine to me but the little flat ones that some others use just dont do much to boost my confidence in a filter.

Plastic mesh backing is perfectly fine. Cut photos have shown it functions as is intended. Holds the media in place.

In most cases as long as the oil filter isn’t failing then it’s serving it’s real purpose. That is to act as a safety guard should some sort of failure occur in the internals itself or in the air filtration system etc.

In some cases where there is a lot of soot or when people choose to drastically extend OCIs it makes since to worry about using very durable, highly efficient oil filters to remove combustion by products etc.

So going by what you say, I should be perfectly happy with a Purolator Boss; correct?

So going by what you say, I should be perfectly happy with a Purolator Boss; correct?
I would be fine with using a purolator boss if I intended to extend my OCI out or use the same filter for multiple OCIs, Yes .
Otherwise a cheap ST or AC Delco/ motor craft or similar makes more sense to me.
Simply because I would be dumping out the contamination accumulation and replacing the filter when I change the oil at a normal moderate interval.

Someone correct me if I am wrong - the leaf spring is not spring steel - it gets its spring tension from its stamped form correct?

I used to prefer a coil spring - but not many use those anymore. Of course a coil spring means potentially less media in the can as well, so everything is a trade off.

I found this quote from Purolator in the comments section of the YouTube video below:

"We use SmartFUSION media in the BOSS filter. It is 100% synthetic media with fully integrated, polymer reinforcement. This type of reinforcement is as strong or stronger than the wire backing found in other brands. It is, in fact, used as the OEM filter media in many high end luxury and performance vehicles."

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I am wrong - the leaf spring is not spring steel - it gets its spring tension from its stamped form correct?
Correct ... just plain steel, but the shape allows for some "spring action" (before permanent deformation), to give enough deflection to put constant force on the guts inside the filter.

Back