Wix 1348 String!

I cut open my Wix 1348 today (I do it every year; it is a holiday tradition for me), and there is this string tied around it...

I bought the filter at NAPA, so it is unlikely a fake, so what the heck Wix!

20221112_103816_8a8604ebed9b921ba48d3a2087d945109455e6e8.jpg

I cut open my Wix 1348 today (I do it every year; it is a holiday tradition for me), and there is this string tied around it...

View attachment 125884
It’s a method to keep the element round/ workable during assembly, and it’s on the “dirty” side… what’s the problem?

The 51348's that I've cut open in the past didn't have a string. So, wonder if the filter was produced at another plant or is using a different media that needs the 'string support'. Purolator's had strings around various filters.

View attachment 125884
It looks really good.
The string is to help support the integrity of the media. It’s nothing new and is helpful not harmful.

Used Wix and NAPA Gold filters for years, but now that Mann-Hummel owns both Purolator and Wix I've gone back to using Purolators. (Yeah I know they tore) Since they share an owner I didn't see the need to be so brand loyal. Instead I started price shopping and the Purolators are less expensive in my application. So far so good.

While I'm a bit surprised to see the 'assembly string' on the 5/1348, never seen it to be an issue in real world use, i.e, post use dissections. Same goes for topic. Generally, the assembly string reserved for larger M&H Puro made filter applications.

The older original Wix/NG, 5/1348 had Wix thread end bypass and coil spring. The likely plus side of the 1348 construction shown, a larger filter element than the previous design. That because thread end bypass piece does take up significant space in the can.

Am I the only one that feels ripped off. All this filter consolidation - soon all the filters are identical on the inside, but there still using the old name and old number. Bait and switch.
Maybe, or if pricing stays the same some of the brands will be smokin deals, and some will be overpriced.

Kind of like when the QSFS was identical to PUP/PP (can’t remember?) and was several dollars cheaper because of the green jug.

Caveat emptor.

Maybe, or if pricing stays the same some of the brands will be smokin deals, and some will be overpriced.

Kind of like when the QSFS was identical to PUP/PP (can’t remember?) and was several dollars cheaper because of the green jug.

Caveat emptor.
When Mann bought WIx (producer of NAPA), this consolidation was going to happen-there’s been a large number of Wix/NAPA Golds that are marked Mann, and are obviously Purolators, hopefully with Purolator One media. I don’t buy them without a NAPA fleet filter sale, then they’re ~$4. Otherwise they’re far too expensive for what they are now. Kind of like a lot of things lately! I still have some PYB 5W20 that had the GTL base & low NOACK numbers, that’s a deal that was a better one. Purolator has been using assembly string for what seems like forever, I’ve never seen nor heard of one causing any issues.

Last edited:
I’ve seen a string on some FL1A size oil filters for a V8 engine but never seen it on a small filter.

Am I the only one that feels ripped off. All this filter consolidation - soon all the filters are identical on the inside, but there still using the old name and old number. Bait and switch.
The "configuration control" is a bit different in the consumer world vs the military world for instance. Can you imagine the confusion if every time a small change was done on an oil filter that the model number/part number rolled? o_O Nobody could keep up with that.

The "configuration control" is a bit different in the consumer world vs the military world for instance. Can you imagine the confusion if every time a small change was done on an oil filter that the model number/part number rolled? o_O Nobody could keep up with that.
Yes, I get that - but were not talking about changing one tiny component that doesn't affect the function - were talking about stuffing a completely different filter in a can and call it the same. Its would be like fram stuffing a filter from the orange can into a Ultra can and saying it works the same therefore it is. That seems to be where this is headed.

Back