Wireless router for large house recomendations

An IP packet is an IP packet, if you can send and receive with 5GHz it will, and if it won't it will try 2.4GHz.

If I were to use mesh I would probably put one half way before it could no longer reach or almost couldn't. The bandwidth with mesh would usually cut in half unless you have dual / tri band, and latency increase for sure. I personally would rather use powerline ethernet instead of mesh due to the latency and stability.

Reactions: Y_K
Some Updates....

I bought a Netgear RAX30 to get me going when we got possession of the house. The previous owners had the ISP put the gateway in the dining room so I had decent coverage when I had it upstairs. I moved the gateway and router to the basement where it should be and everything is ok in the rooms in the center of the house. Now that I have added all my smart bulbs and devices and we have gotten most of the rooms upstairs setup I am getting drops in signal at the far corners. This is not good as we are completely reliant on wifi to make phone calls unless you are in the front yard or second floor. My wife was not happy when her call to the insurance company kept dropping the other day.

I have the old router from my old house and have been playing around with it. It is supposed to be able to be setup as an AP but is not wanting to do it. Info on how to do it is generic from Netgear and not very helpful. The wire to the new router is not the issue as it tests good and my computer works on it.

The good news is that when the house was built they used Cat5e for the telephone wires so I just have to put in the rj45 jacks and ends. This gives me a wired connection into every room and would be better if I could get the old router to work in AP mode. I may just give up and go the Unifi route.

The bad news is cell signal is terrible and WiFi calling is terrible if you get further from the router and WiFi calling sucks to begin with. Another annoying issue is that MMS messages do not work on WiFi. SMS works on WiFi but iphones like to mess that up half the time. Two iphones texting each other works on wifi if imessage is enabled but that is another annoyance.

In the Caribbean we set up an ASUS mesh with an AX-58 and AX-56 router pair. I’d buy the newer models and go with that. It’s a big house, lots of rebar and concrete, and works well..

I'm late to the party, but we have an Orbi mesh system and it's been rock solid. It was a little quirky with getting set up, but it wasn't too bad, and it's been awesome ever since.

Why not just put the router upstairs? That’s made a huge difference in my experiences.
Because I am an electrician and like anything electrical neatly hidden away because I am picky like that. One is upstairs in my office now but I don't like it taking up desk space.

I did get both routers working at the same time now. I had to use the old one as the router and the new one as an AP. Now I have 4 different WiFi connections. I know I could name them all the same but I didn't feel like getting my laptop out of my truck to fart with it anymore.

Because I am an electrician and like anything electrical neatly hidden away because I am picky like that. One is upstairs in my office now but I don't like it taking up desk space.

I did get both routers working at the same time now. I had to use the old one as the router and the new one as an AP. Now I have 4 different WiFi connections. I know I could name them all the same but I didn't feel like getting my laptop out of my truck to fart with it anymore.
That would work, it is pretty much the way how most people do pre-mesh days. I would probably just let the router be away from the desk so it won't take up room, a tucked away nearby router going through sheet rocks is still better than a centralized router with multiple antennas to beam form the distance. If you have cat 5e cables there is no reason not to use multiple routers, mesh or not.

I have the previous generation of this Asus mesh system.

Works good on a two storey 260 house with basement. I can get the wifi signal in the garage and front and backyard and even in my neighbors backyard. I do have them wired via ethernet between each other. They can also do the communication wirelessly.

Tp link also has some mesh stuff that works well too. Get the wifi 6 version if you can.

Linksys WHW03 Version 2…

Note the wire bakers / shoe rack, keeps equipment cool…

Note also the Verizon wireless light is off, the Linksys is handling all the 2.4 and 5 GHz traffic…

IMG_0114.jpeg

Are they meshed with 2.4ghz?
The WHW03 is "tri-band" meaning they have two 5 GHz radios in each unit. One is used for meshing to the other units and one for communication with user devices. Anyone interested in speed will stay off of 2.4 entirely.

The WHW03 is "tri-band" meaning they have two 5 GHz radios in each unit. One is used for meshing to the other units and one for communication with user devices. Anyone interested in speed will stay off of 2.4 entirely.
Pretty sure @Rand was trolling him based on the earlier conversation ;)

I understand trying to keep cost low.
Why not try out a TpLink Mesh system for $200 or less?
Nothing to lose, if you don’t like, free return shipping too.

Even this easily handle speeds up to 300 Mbps and a bit higher. Respected name brand and if you don’t like, free return.
You don’t need WiFi 6 for anything, this will keep you covered for the next decade.
It’s early in the morning for me so maybe I’m missing something in these posts. 🙃

Last edited:
Have been using a Netgear Nighthawk X10 for a 2800 sq one story house for a few years. Its OK but the many walls tampers things. I have a few repeaters which help somewhat. Their latest designs look like Tie Fighters.

So, how long should these routers last before starting to "flake out" & need replacing?
My NETGEAR’s all failed within ~12 months. My Asus is on year 3 with no problems *knock on wood*, my old AirPort Extreme was 5 years old before I gifted it to a friend it but still functioning flawlessly.

So, how long should these routers last before starting to "flake out" & need replacing?
On the internet since 1995, I never had a router fail on me. If and when I do replace one I do it "just because" I feel like updating something. When I do upgrade I tend to upgrade not to the most current wifi AX but to the past "current" Wifi AC

Example - I have been on WiFi AC for the longest time now. I choose routers not on brand name but on range. Routers with clean noise free transmitters and receivers are more important as in my case of having 300 Mbps service.

Ive always successfully used a single center of the house placed router in our past 3000 sq ft home as I do now in our smaller home, never an issue as close to full service speed throughout the house. Any given time up to 25 devices connected, granted all do not run at the same time but a significant amount do.

After a few years of flawless service from our TP Link AC router, (which still works, I still have stored) for fun I switched into a Motorola MR2600 AC router years back, still works flawlessly as well. Both these routers cost pennies compared to some. Around $100.
I cant count maybe on one hand the number of times I had to re-set a router in the last 5 years and if I did it was because a device wasnt working properly, not the router.
As someone pointed out one time it is true if the router isnt supported any longer you may not get security updates ... I dont worry about that even though my current router is still sold and some of the biggest name brands and expensive ones have had issues.

It's true that I seek value in things, but this doesnt mean I discredit those who wish to spend hundreds more. We all do what we do for a reason and satisfaction. Example if you like to play around and get in deeply with settings in the router a basic unit will not let you do as much.

When a household router does have a hardware problem, it is often the power cube not the router itself. The cubes are almost always 12 volts so they're readily interchanged.

Netgear makes both Nighthawk and Orbi.

We've had a Orbi for what close to 2 years now and it is rock solid. ours is an 850 with two satellites. the new model is an 860 and the newer still is a 960.

I can go to the middle of the road in front of the house or back of the property and watch a movie with no issues...

I'm no expert but one thing i did learn is that if you are not going to wire the backhaul, get one that has a dedicated radio for the backhaul... (Orbi does)

Your desire for things to be out of site (which i do understand) may negatively impact performance.

Pricing is an issue... good mesh networks are not cheap.

Reactions: Y_K
Back