Wireless Adapters.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun with adapters....

Wife finally got a new desktop (yay), and we are pretty happy with it. Our Vista based machine now gets to reside in our basement as a extra computer for us to use.

Problem is it does not have built in wireless. (Guess it helps that it is 8 years old). Guy at best buy talked me into some fancy dual N band Netgear wireless adapter....and it doesn't work. (looks to be broken-going back) Was told by a friend that I wasted 45 bucks and could have gotten both cheaper and better. I've seen those 10 dollar ones on amazon-and wondered if they would work picking up wifi for this old desktop.

I'm kinda weak on my knowledge of these "adapters" (at least brand wise).Should I go get another netgear one, or are there better ideas out there for my machine?

I've found that internal, pci or pci express, wireless cards work better for desktops. Brand isn't that important, but it should have at least one external antenna. They're cheap on eBay. I'm not impressed with any of the USB versions I've tried.

Best Buy doesn't carry those internal adapters. Fry's might.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-F9L1101v2-N600-DB-Wireless-Dual-Band-USB-Adapter-802-11a-b-g-n-USB-2-0-/252423878237?hash=item3ac5a2b65d:g:sIcAAOSwMtxXriBb

Right here, just plug it into the USB in the back of the computer and forget about it.

First thing would be what is your current router, in terms of connection speed/type. Unless your trying to future proof yourself.

I've used PCI ones and USB ones for the past 10 years. I prefer the USB types. The no name ebay stuff works just as good as the brand name stuff. I stick with linksys myself. Cheap ebay ones work great in terms of speed and connection and then one day turn into [censored] and stop working after 3-5 years. But at $20-30 each its not bad plus i get faster units. Once in a while they dont register and a quick reboot fixes it.

My last time around i used a linksys refrib and no issues so far. Only had it for 1 year. I'm on wireless AC using 5.0ghz for the most part.

One thing i do recommend is if you get an USB one, get a cable extender. So you can some control over where the adapter is placed for best overall signal. I personally wrap it around a metal table leg ( thinking it makes it increases signal )

I have this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-Dual-Band-AC1200-Wireless-Fast-USB-3-0-WiFi-Adapter-WUSB6300-Certified-/162167602140?hash=item25c1f13bdc:g:SsQAAOSw6n5XrlsH

I received a no brand name USB adaptor with a refurb HP dual core tower. Works so well I bought a spare on Amazon. Less than 10 bucks. Only ID I can provide is the SKU.. 4 586201418180. It's a little USB cube with an SMA connector and a rubber duck antenna with right angle adapter. 150 MBS using the 802.IIN standard.

Last edited:
I always order the cheapest USB adapter I can find on Amazon. No issues after buying 3 or 4 different ones for various computers. They may not have the fastest speed but unless you are playing multiplayer games you really can't tell a difference.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
First thing would be what is your current router, in terms of connection speed/type. Unless your trying to future proof yourself.

I've used PCI ones and USB ones for the past 10 years. I prefer the USB types. The no name ebay stuff works just as good as the brand name stuff. I stick with linksys myself. Cheap ebay ones work great in terms of speed and connection and then one day turn into [censored] and stop working after 3-5 years. But at $20-30 each its not bad plus i get faster units. Once in a while they dont register and a quick reboot fixes it.

My last time around i used a linksys refrib and no issues so far. Only had it for 1 year. I'm on wireless AC using 5.0ghz for the most part.

One thing i do recommend is if you get an USB one, get a cable extender. So you can some control over where the adapter is placed for best overall signal. I personally wrap it around a metal table leg ( thinking it makes it increases signal )

I have this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-Dual-Band-AC1200-Wireless-Fast-USB-3-0-WiFi-Adapter-WUSB6300-Certified-/162167602140?hash=item25c1f13bdc:g:SsQAAOSw6n5XrlsH

Just switched to AT&T, and running 30-50 off their router (an Arris nvg599)

Speed is not really the concern-more that the computer has internet so I can update things and just surf the net....

USB WiFi adapters do work and are plug and play. I recommend you plug it in while it already is connected to the Internet in case it wants drivers. Their main drawback is when you download a lot, the cheapest ones will take a toll on your CPU. Which is probably why the guy at Best Buy sold you a wireless adapter, which I assume is a PCI/PCIe card that you installed inside your computer. At $45 that's not bad.

USB WiFi starts at $10-$20 for an AC. In fact there were a couple already listed on dealnews.com the past week.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I've found that internal, pci or pci express, wireless cards work better for desktops. Brand isn't that important, but it should have at least one external antenna. They're cheap on eBay. I'm not impressed with any of the USB versions I've tried.

Best Buy doesn't carry those internal adapters. Fry's might.

I have an internal WIFI card (with external antenna on an extension) and it's way more reliable than my USB model. Yes, I have 2 WIFI cars on my PC.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Yes, I have 2 WIFI cars on my PC.

Are they GM cars? The newer ones come with WIFI.
grin.gif

I have been trying to use Tenda USB from Micro Center with little success so for, but I am running Mint.

Originally Posted By: razel
USB WiFi adapters do work and are plug and play. I recommend you plug it in while it already is connected to the Internet in case it wants drivers. Their main drawback is when you download a lot, the cheapest ones will take a toll on your CPU. Which is probably why the guy at Best Buy sold you a wireless adapter, which I assume is a PCI/PCIe card that you installed inside your computer. At $45 that's not bad.

USB WiFi starts at $10-$20 for an AC. In fact there were a couple already listed on dealnews.com the past week.

Nope, an outside one sadly.....though it seems many mention to me to put it inside and not out....

Good thing for this computer is that it's heavy downloading days are pretty much done....more surfing at this point than anything!

Hi-I recently changed where my computer is in relation to the router and purchased a $6.99 no name usb adapter from Amazon, came in 2 days, took 5 minutes to install and I have 150Mbps on my 6 year old desktop with no problems that I can tell. Most of the USB units on Amazon looked alike so I "gambled" and bought the cheapest. I'm getting another to use on my laptop with a built in adapter to see if it works faster. YMMV of course as is popular to point out on BIGOG!! Bill

USB or PCI/PCIe have their advantage and disadvantage. USB can be extended and taped to a higher places for better line of sight, and PCI/PCIe ones tend to have external antenna that work better than those tiny internal ones on USB, but you can't move them around easily like USB.

Brands of the adapter isn't as important as the brand of the chipset, unless it is a no name one that doesn't even update their firmware (Tenda). Check newegg and amazon for review to see how good that particular model is. Personally, I'd buy an ethernet based wifi adapter or a router that can be run as a client. These big devices tend to have way better antenna and higher power.

Sometimes you just can't get any line of sight between the router and where you are, and powerline ethernet is really the better way to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back