Wired network vs wifi network

Power kills, your microwave oven is 1000W typically, not 100mW. You shouldn't keep a wifi router near your headboard because it is bad for reception to begin with.
We are talking about two different things and to give an example here is why.
Like you state, a wifi router is 100mW and the reason it is, is because the FCC limits the power to 100mW for the safety and interference reasons mentioned throughout this thread.
A Microwave does not broadcast 1000w of radio waves and I would leave it to you to look up because it doesnt interest me but assume the microwave emissions (broadcast) are limited to the same 100 mW power level of the wifi router for safety and interference reasons.
Im using the 100mW number because it was supplied by you.
Anyway, just a quick reply, no interest to say more then I have along with associated links to back up my posts. I repeated my thoughts below one last time ... really *LOL* ...

The FCC limits the power of routers, so no matter what brand you buy and how much money you spend, you not going to get more broadcast power. So its entirely possible and there are a few inexpensive routers out there that will give you the range and in many cases better range then a router at two to three times the price. You wont have the features in the GUI, nor the specs (maybe) but you will have the range and everything about the router will work every bit as good for the average homeowner.

Router manufacturers need to sell features, they really need to market it well so the typical average Joe walking into Best Buy will lay out $250 for a router instead of a $99 Motorola MR 2600 which will have just as good range and very possibly better range.

Without question the $250 will have more features, whether that is good or bad is a matter of opinion for the average Joe to mess things up if he doesnt need them but I would almost be willing to bet he will have less issues with the $99 router and it will be more reliable.
and to repeat one last time in this thread, I am not saying to spend only $99 on a router if you want more settings, processing power ect... I am saying for those looking for a really good router the MR2600 will have the same range as most any router. BTW, better range in this case will also mean better speeds further from the router.
(no more replies from me on this) :eek:)

Back