Winterize distilled water, how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
OP here, not cheap. The reason I use straight distilled water is:
1. It hardly ever hard freezes here in south Texas.
2. The distilled water does a great job of cleaning the glass without leaving soap residue.

Next week we're going to have 5-7 days of low 20's at night - that's VERY cold for us!

Just trying to keep the washer fluid from freezing without leaving glycol/soap residue.

The cheap -20 store brand at most places does not soap or glycol. Just water and methanol alcohol.

Just don't use the prestone, windex, etc... name brand/Bug special ones and that should meet your specs.

I happened to notice that a 16 oz plastic bottle of common rubbing alcohol was about $2:30 at my local Hy Vee then a gallon of distilled water is about $1.05 per gallon. A whole gallon of the regular blue juice windshield fluid is about $2.00 to $2.50 at most gas stations, probably cheaper yet at Wall Mart or Target or parts stores. More expensive to mix your own at least where I live.

Your best bet is to just replace the water with washer fluid. Not sure what the stores carry down there in Texas, but make sure you're getting the winter formula. The summer formula freezes at 32°, but is usually still blue.

Up here in MN I usually use the purple stuff that's good to -35° in the winter. I've had a couple times where even the -20° stuff froze. Was - 17° yesterday morning, possibly colder coming this weekend.

Hard to get anything below +32°F formula here; I had to order winter grade auto fluid from AAP. Most everything below +32°F formula is barred from even being able to be shipped here but I found a notable exception.

LINK

Never know when I might go driving north.

OP let me know if you need a gallon of this; I bought a case of 4 gallon jugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Hard to get anything below +32°F formula here; I had to order winter grade auto fluid from AAP. Most everything below +32°F formula is barred from even being able to be shipped here but I found a notable exception.

LINK

Never know when I might go driving north.

OP let me know if you need a gallon of this; I bought a case of 4 gallon jugs.

Hm, thanks for the link! I'm going to stop at a few places on the way home to see what I can find. I'll try Pep Boys, they usually have a varied supply of stuff like that.

NP

Pep Boys may have some +0°F mix in stock.

I was in my nearest WM on Wed and all that was on the shelves was +32°F mix of various brands.

One thought : try to turkey baster as much of the distilled water out of the reservoir first. I know some vehicles have long fill necks on the ww reservoir so this may not be practical. Other option is just purge the distilled water out through the ww. Either case then flush with premix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back