winter-wheels-tires-roads-again

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm in winter 'get ready' mode a bit with changing fluids and generally getting cars ready for winter. With that, as I give some attention to brake/tire inspection, reminds me about something that 'I still don't get'=Government budgets have struggled , along with most of us, so the roads are not in great shape in many areas. Then, we have this trend in recent times with larger diameter wheels coupled with short sidewalls meeting poorer roads and winter's potholes-such joy! I'm in the garage looking at a couple cars with 18" and then also with the more traditional 15". I like the 18" setup just fine on great roads, but the 15" for most driving with the reality of today's roads. I recall a gal few years ago that stated 'she' had boinked 3 out of 4 wheels/tires hitting a bad potholed road section-lots of other folks bending a rim or two. Too much of that happening(yes get the pressures right)It's a safety item and the 'form' bling of those neato wheels continues to trump safety and function-year after year? Not to mention due to the soccer mom's vans/SUVs running around with nearly flat tires we have that safety issue and so the pressure monitoring systems. Reminds me, I think my batteries in those are running nearly towards empty now-oh no!!

Despite what you may hear the US really does have one of the best road systems in the world. And the roads now are in better shape than any other time in history.

Potholes are a function of the preparation for a road, but are sadly unavoidable especially over the lifespan of said road. Sure, the lower profile tires common today compound the problem. But really pay attention to where you're going, slow down, and since nobody is perfect don't be too hard on yourself if you have to replace a tire.

At no other point in time, and in very few other places on the planet, do humans fully intend to drive 75 miles an hour during a snowstorm and then show frustration when they run into issues which most people on this planet would consider minor. And don't even get me started on the destinations. Our mall parking lot and starbucks drivethrough are jam packed in 6 inches of snow, and I'm sure one of these treasures scrapes a curb and runs to the internet to complain daily.

Last edited:
You didn't mention the barges of salt to satisfy those who simply must be out in any sort of precipitation without inconvenience.

Yeah I always think that the roads suck, then I realize they're actually great compared to MUCH of California roads which are terrible. The worst highways I've driven on were in Seattle, WA and Reno, NV. Absolutely TERRIBLE.

Friend trashed a 400 dollar 19 inch run flat on a Pennsy Turnpike pothole recently as he returned from picking up his new (to him) '08 BMW V8 hot rod.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah I always think that the roads suck, then I realize they're actually great compared to MUCH of California roads which are terrible. The worst highways I've driven on were in Seattle, WA and Reno, NV. Absolutely TERRIBLE.

Come on up to "The Forgotten Borough" round winter time, and I'll show you what bad is.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Come on up to "The Forgotten Borough" round winter time, and I'll show you what bad is.

The poor counties in Northern NY where the weather is much worse and salt use heavier might surprise you. It's really bad up here.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I've never seen the roads as bad as they were this spring. There were a few holes where I was glad I has 85 aspect ratio tires!!

Lucky duck
I lost a Alloy and a Primacy MXV4 this winter, and they're 60 series H rated. By today's standards fairly tall and strong. Costco prorated me into a new Premier A/S
mad.gif
mad.gif

The OCD of 7k old tires being 1 mismatched is gonna be the death of me.
Credit where credits due, they were (and the Taurus itself) were superb in the winter, doing better then many OEM tired SUV's, or poorly piloted Cute Ute's.

I wasn't grumbling so much about the roads in general, but rather the nasty potholes(that may go unrepaired for a long time) we run into combined with the big wheels and aspect ratios of todays tires. I'm looking at a couple cars in the garage with 45 and 50 and the idea of those cars hitting the sharp edge of a deep pothole isn't pleasant. The local highway folks have bought some mochines that allow one fella to ride around and blow out a hole, shoot in some 'tar soup' and finish it with a spray of crushed granite. This fills most of the hole, but also seems to build up some around it. So the sharp edge is dealt with, but the result is not a very smooth driving surface=rumble-rumble.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

The poor counties in Northern NY where the weather is much worse and salt use heavier might surprise you. It's really bad up here.

I'm not sure how far north you are, but here in Central NY (Onondaga county) a lot of the huge pot holes from last winter didn't get fixed.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I've never seen the roads as bad as they were this spring. There were a few holes where I was glad I has 85 aspect ratio tires!!

Lucky duck
I lost a Alloy and a Primacy MXV4 this winter, and they're 60 series H rated. By today's standards fairly tall and strong. Costco prorated me into a new Premier A/S
mad.gif
mad.gif

The OCD of 7k old tires being 1 mismatched is gonna be the death of me.
Credit where credits due, they were (and the Taurus itself) were superb in the winter, doing better then many OEM tired SUV's, or poorly piloted Cute Ute's.

I bent one of the alloys on mine in a pot hole once. Luckily, I found a matching wheel at a local junkyard!

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I wasn't grumbling so much about the roads in general, but rather the nasty potholes(that may go unrepaired for a long time) we run into combined with the big wheels and aspect ratios of todays tires. I'm looking at a couple cars in the garage with 45 and 50 and the idea of those cars hitting the sharp edge of a deep pothole isn't pleasant. The local highway folks have bought some mochines that allow one fella to ride around and blow out a hole, shoot in some 'tar soup' and finish it with a spray of crushed granite. This fills most of the hole, but also seems to build up some around it. So the sharp edge is dealt with, but the result is not a very smooth driving surface=rumble-rumble.

The rubberband tires have some purpose, I'm sure. Just not sure what, exactly.

I think in the south where there aren't pot holes, they might work better. But up here, they don't hold up. May not be a bad idea to invest in a 'rim doctor' type of company!

We have the quick fill pothole trucks up here too. Was exited at first - thought that would help with the enormous potholes. Well, it did help for about a week, but they quickly turned back into big potholes in a short amount of time.

"the US really does have one of the best road systems in the world. And the roads now are in better shape than any other time in history."

Nah. These days the drunks are the only ones who drive straight. Sober drivers swerve around the pot holes.

Taxes are the cover charge we pay to live in a civilized society.

Yonkers??
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Yonkers??
lol.gif

Staten Island
confused.gif

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/report_staten_island_roads_in.html#comments

I'm gonna make an album this winter.
Road paving, cell phone towers, and drainage additions, SEND THEM OUR WAY, PLEASE!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Despite what you may hear the US really does have one of the best road systems in the world. And the roads now are in better shape than any other time in history.

You obviously don't travel the same highways I do...

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Yonkers??
lol.gif

Staten Island
confused.gif

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/report_staten_island_roads_in.html#comments

I'm gonna make an album this winter.
Road paving, cell phone towers, and drainage additions, SEND THEM OUR WAY, PLEASE!

Ah yes, you are definitely considered (and treated as) the 'hillbilly' borough by the powers that be.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back