Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Generals. Getting them studded also. Of course, the distributor tried pushing me into the Coursers because he bought like 6000 Coursers in different sizes and that is what he is pushing this year. Almost felt bad, but I like the Generals anyway.

edited to add... Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited:
Well, I dropped the $$ for the General Altimax Arctics and studded them. Put them on the 'Burb today. Love them. I think I will be well pleased with them this winter. And no, sorry, but I cannot tell you the price. I paid cost for them, as I am a dealer. But even at retail, I'm pushing them because I think they are just awesome. Got to try them out over snow and ice covered streets today, and I think they are just what the doctor ordered.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Generals. Getting them studded also. Of course, the distributor tried pushing me into the Coursers because he bought like 6000 Coursers in different sizes and that is what he is pushing this year. Almost felt bad, but I like the Generals anyway.

edited to add... Thanks everyone!!!

The tire dealers around here almost always try to push some brand and model tire. I don't fall for it either. It's your money. Most of the time the tires they are pushing are junk!

Quote:
Of course, the distributor tried pushing me into the Coursers

Does anybody know if Mastercraft, Dean, and Cooper's other brands are actually as good at Cooper brand tires? A Cooper rep would only tell me that they are made in the same factory as Coopers, but wouldn't say if they are the same rubber compounds, same carcass, etc.

Ken, in my experience as a tire dealer, I can say that I am impressed with Mastercrafts, SigmaE, Wild Country, and some of the others like Wild Spirit, etc. As a matter of fact, all of the Big O private labels are the same tires, all Coper made. So yes, I think all around, regardless of the name n the sidewall, they are all a good choice of tire. In this case, I just wanted something a little different, and I'v always liked the Generals.

Last edited:
OK, today was the day of the big test, and the Generals came through with flying colors. On the way back from Laramie, we hit 4 different snow storms in which there was severe decreased visibility, snow packed with ice for icing roads and bridges, and not once did I experience any loss of control or not feel that I didn't have control of the vehicle.

Mind you, I didn't act like I was bulletproof with them on, I traveled as conditions dictated, but wow, what a difference. Those studded tires made my trip much more confident. Seriously, I don't know how people live without them.

Mind you, I didn't act like I was bulletproof with them on, I traveled as conditions dictated, but wow, what a difference. Those studded tires made my trip much more confident. Seriously, I don't know how people live without them.

Is this your first set of studded tires? It really is an eye-opener going from tires that could unexpectedly lose grip to tires that are always predictable and even gain traction as the ice gets warmer and wetter. I've been hearing a lot of studded tires in the city lately. I used to hear them only occasionally, but now I'm hearing a few every time I go for a bike ride. Hopefully we'll start getting the better European studded tires here someday!

They are my first set of studded winter tires. The General Altimax Arctics rock. However, the Pacemark ST/2's I got for the Dynasty suck. And they are studded. Not digging them at all... Or does the car being FWD make a difference in the handling on the snow?

Maybe I need to alter my driving habits seeing as to how the Burb is RWD and the Dynasty is FWD.

Last edited:
They are my first set of studded winter tires. The General Altimax Arctics rock. However, the Pacemark ST/2's I got for the Dynasty suck. And they are studded. Not digging them at all... Or does the car being FWD make a difference in the handling on the snow?

Maybe I need to alter my driving habits seeing as to how the Burb is RWD and the Dynasty is FWD.

It really shouldn't be a disadvantage that it's FWD. The extra weight over the drive wheels should even be an advantage for traction when accelerating. Maybe the tires aren't very good. I've never heard anything about Pacemark winter tires, and I can't find much about them other than that a couple of owners like them and a couple of owners don't.

The Altimax and its European identical sister, the Gislaved Nord Frost 3, have done very well in testing. If I had known you were going studded when I first read the thread, I'd have recommended them from your list. Maybe I should have anyway, as they've done well even without studs.

Some snows just suck. It's like all tires. Some designs rock, others just suck.

How's that for opinion-based, non-factual yet somewhat truthful answering?

The other thing that would give the Suburban an advantage in snow is its weight. The Suburban tires are probably quite narrow relative to tire width compared to the Dynasty. If the Suburban has a limited-slip, that would be another big advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back