Winter tires for Tacoma 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Astro14
Hakkapelliittas- hands down.

And pickups have terrible weight distribution- throw some weight in the bed.

I've got Nokians on my Tundra, for the record.

+1

Since you love Nokian, you can check out their new hakkapeliitta Lt3 that is replacing its predecessor which is the Hakkapeliitta LT2.

This new tire features friendly technology, latest technology and some of its technology are first incorporated by Nokian.

Like the arctic technology which is the first stainless steel stud innovation and it is used in building this tire for it to have heavy-duty abilities.

And it features winter safety indicator (WSI) in its tread for enhanced safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you love Nokian, you can check out their new hakkapeliitta Lt3 that is replacing its predecessor which is the Hakkapeliitta LT2.

This new tire features friendly technology, latest technology and some of its technology are first incorporated by Nokian.

Like the arctic technology which is the first stainless steel stud innovation and it is used in building this tire for it to have heavy-duty abilities.

And it features winter safety indicator (WSI) in its tread for enhanced safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive always been a fan of BFG all terrain radials, whichnhave the snowflake symbol and are rated for severe snow.

I'm on my 2nd set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S P245/75R16 109S for my 2012 Tacoma 2.7L 4 cylinder 4WD SR5 5-speed manual w/92,000 miles. I don't aggressively go off road per say, but follow old mud/dirt oil skidder paths while checking properties or out hunting in southern Ohio. Majority of daily driving is paved roads with speeds up to 75mph and truck rides smooth and quiet. Extremely pleased! Winter months here on Lake Erie are hit or miss lately with snow. The truck does well in 4WD during snow is about all I can say (a little weight in bed helps). Plus I don't drive like a maniac during hazardous conditions. These are great tires....

The fact that the truck won't be as good in the snow as the Passat is sad.

Tacomas are good in the snow as long as the tires are good and there is some weight in the back. Full time AWD systems are preferable in most bad weather situations to part-time 4x4 due to dry pavement issues, but when in 4WD you're good.

Originally Posted by spavel6
Any thoughts on how narrow to go?

The stock rubber will be the Dunlop GrandTrek AT20 P265/65R17 110S SL

I was debating either getting a 16" wheel and tire combo or 17". I'd love to get steelies for the winter, as I think the look would be pretty awesome, but there are so many take-off Tacoma alloys on CL..

I put 16" + Falken in similar diameter and width on the T4R...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you want an E range LT id get 235 85 16. If you want to stay P rated (you probably do) then the 245 75 17 size would be great.

I put cooper AT3 4s on my ram 1500 last spring. Great in the rain and dry pavement. I found out yesterday, they are very good On solid ice also preformed well in about 7 inches of wet snow on unplowed roads.

Also, I have never found I needed to add weight to the bed of a pick up.

I put cooper AT3 4s on my ram 1500 last spring. Great in the rain and dry pavement. I found out yesterday, they are very good On solid ice also preformed well in about 7 inches of wet snow on unplowed roads.

Also, I have never found I needed to add weight to the bed of a pick up.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Ive always been a fan of BFG all terrain radials, whichnhave the snowflake symbol and are rated for severe snow.

+1

BFG A/T are my #1 tire so far. I just bought a set of 31x10.5 for my Wrangler. I've run a few different A/Ts on my Jeeps over the years and so has my father. BFGs seem to be the best traction-wise although they are not the quietest. The Firestone Destination A/T (haven't tried the newest version yet) seem to be the quietest, and the Cooper AT3 were somewhere in the middle.

I put Nokian Nordsman 7 studded on my Rx350. They are great in snow and ice, but overkill in my area. On my 2011 Tacoma DCLB I PUT ON P265/75/16 Hancook I Pike RW11 they are inexpensive and fairly rated. Other than driving off road for 1/4 mile on a foot of snow and ice,I haven't tested them yet.

Originally Posted by Sjc3081
I put Nokian Nordsman 7 studded on my Rx350. They are great in snow and ice, but overkill in my area. On my 2011 Tacoma DCLB I PUT ON P265/75/16 Hancook I Pike RW11 they are inexpensive and fairly rated. Other than driving off road for 1/4 mile on a foot of snow and ice,I haven't tested them yet.

The area is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back