winter tire size recommendation of a 22' range rover sport

hello guys! i just picked up a 22 range rover sport, it came with 275 40 r22 all seasons but here in alberta canada they dont really seem to cut it. i want to get a dedicated set of winters. sorry i am a bit of a noob but i heard its recommended to get a less wide tire for winter which i believe is the first number on the tires. i did some research and tried to look at some winter tire packages etc, i will go with aftermarket tbh becaause i only want to spend around 2000 with new winter tires. so here is where i am so far,
it seems like i can run 255/55 R20 or 235/65 R19 but i believe there are other sizes that i can also run, with my brief reseaarch it seems liek i can find way more tire options and rim options for a good price in this r20 size compared to the r19 so i am already leaning to the r20. however i wanted to confirm, are there other tire sizes that will fit our trucks without rubbing? i am going to be buying new rims and tires so it doesnt really matter.

when i played around with some configs at a website called pmctire, i can get either set of around $2000 cad.

lastly, i am not an expert with rims or anything, i notice that our trucks are a 5 x 120 but then i get confused with offset and the centre bore size, do those have to be exact? i believe range rover is 72.6 but then sometimes im seeing other aftermarket wheels having a diff centre bore

if i could get a run down on what combo will give me the best pricing and also some rim sizes that would be great

thanks so much

I'd go with the 235/65-19s if it was my vehicle if 19s would fit the brake calipers, correct offset, center bore etc. Range Rovers aren't too common around here, you'll have to confirm fitment. Narrower tread and taller sidewall is a good thing. Google hub centric vs lug centric wheels.

How much snow/ice? Do you want true winter or will a 3PMSF make it? I prefer real snows but some other people are OK with a 3PMSF.

Search on TireRack doesn't give many options. I would prefer 19" for more sidewall for impacts/potholes etc. That said showing available I would get the 255-55-20 Michelin X-ice Snow, maybe get some factory 19" or 20" rims from craigslist or facebook marketplace or even dealer takeoffs. Michelin only one with a treadwear warranty.

The Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2 in 19" would be good at least while Multi-cell lasts. My only set of Blizzaks were excellent in snow and ice but wore very fast and really started to perform poorly even before the 6/32" when Multicell is gone. Maybe just because it was that drastic of a difference. I never bought anymore. Price vs. slightly less performance I wound up with Continental Snows on my vehicles last round that I purchased. I wanted the X-ice Snow to try but sales deals/rebates covered mount balance AND 4 new TPMS sensors for winter rims for my daughters CRV.

265-55-19 Continental Viking Contact 7 also an option.

Check here for how sizes compare (diameter/width etc) to your factory size. Tacomaworld tire calculator 275-45-22 vs 265-55-19 you can change numbers accordingly.

Keep the same wheel diameter and go with a narrower tire or the same wheel/tire as you have and go for a different tire.
If you get a lot of snow and ice I'd go with Nokia Hakkapeliitta with studs if you can use them or without if not.

Your best bet is to work with local dealer. They would be responsible for the proper fitment. You could start by looking at Tire Rack to get an idea of what fits.

How much snow/ice? Do you want true winter or will a 3PMSF make it? I prefer real snows but some other people are OK with a 3PMSF.
in Alberta where it can be -40f you want real winter tires.. the 3PMSF turn into rock hard plastic at those temps.

Back