Winter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another winter oil change question. I have two for the membership.

1) I have a 1996 HD Road King, run's like a train. It has had all oils changed in 2009. Engine oil is Amsoil 20-50, gearbox is Bell-Ray Syntheic and the Primary uses normal HD dino primary oil. I have since the fall of '09 till today put a total of 1240 km. This will be the second winter of not changing the oil. Should I go ahead and change knowing that this oil can go for another 8000km. The bike doesn't leak a drop and never had to top it up with new oil. The oil is very black, however doesn't smell like unburnt gas.
2) I also have a 1972 Triumph Tiger. This has had a total rebuild. I have already changed the oil at 500km, and now the oil in it has a total of 900km. All oil is normal dino Castrol 20-50, question is again should I change all the oil or let it sit.

Thanks in advance.

Change motor oil only in the HD since it has been 2 full years.I wouldn't change oil in the primary or the trans if it has also only been 2 years and low mileage on those lubes. How long has the motor oil been in the Triumph?

I wouldn't change the oil on either machines. Do a search concerning leaving oil in engines for storage. You'll find many comments concerning this subject. Just because the oil is black, that doesn't mean it's not doing it's job. However, it might indicate that your engine is running a bit rich creating more soot.

There is one example of a participant who did a UOA on oil from a motorcycle that had sat in a scrap yard for something like fourteen years. The analysis proved that the oil was perfectly usable and there was no threat of the dreaded "acid build up" in the crank case, which from my experience is very much over rated. Particularly with modern oils and engines.

I'll have three years and 2000 miles on my Yamaha scooter on one OCI by next spring. Can't wait to sample it and see how M1 v-twin 20w-50 has held up.

If you are not putting on enough miles to require an oil change I would change the oil at least once a year and in the fall when you put the bike away in this part of the world that works the best. Oil in our climate is going to collect moisture over the period you'd had it in the engine and moisture needs higher temps to burn off.

HD's aren't cheap too buy so I would look after it and it will look after you. Oil is cheap compared to the price of the bike.

"Oil in our climate is going to collect moisture over the period you'd had it in the engine and moisture needs higher temps to burn off."

If the bike is brought up to operating temperature then put away, there will be no condensation/collection of moisture in the oil provided it's stored in a way that moisture cannot enter the engine from rain or snow.

If an engine's oil accumulates moisture to any extent, it's from not running the engine up to temperature. I've yet to see an engine kept in protected storage (dry shed/garage) accumulate any amount of moisture that would cause concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back