Winter oil in tdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running delvac 15w-40 in my 2000 jetta tdi in the summer months but I know I should switch to something thinner for winter. I was thinking of just running a gasoline spec 5w-30 but want to be sure that will not cause problems (short or long term). My other option was to spend some money and use mobil one diesel oil, what do you guys think?

I'll second the Shell Rotella-T 5W-40 recommendation and suggest another possibility of Mobil-1 0W-40.

The Rotella-T is a proven performer in the TDI and the Mobil-1 is a 505.00 rated oil as specified in the VW service manual.

I personally wouldn't use a 15W-40 mineral oil due to the possibility of piston ring coking and I don't recommend Mobil's Delvac-1 5W-40 or Turbodiesel Truck (TDT) 5W-40 due to poor cold flow characteristics.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
M1 ESP 5W-30?

Yes, though being low-SAPS it's unknown if there's any negative side affects in terms of wear.

Why not just go to M1 0W-40 year round?! I have run Delvac 15W-40 and Lubro-Moly 10W-40 in the summer, never a problem. I always run 0W-40 for the winter. When I have exhausted my stash, I'll run M1 0W-40 year round.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
M1 ESP 5W-30?

Yes, though being low-SAPS it's unknown if there's any negative side affects in terms of wear.
well he's burning ULSD now which is arguably cleaner than gasoline so super highTBN is no longer needed.

Definitely do NOT run a gasoline rated oil in your TDI. Your TDI requires a diesel rated oil. I, like many others here also recommend running Shell Rotella T6 year around. It's a great oil for the price. Change it every 10K miles and you'll be in great shape.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
Why not just go to M1 0W-40 year round?! I have run Delvac 15W-40 and Lubro-Moly 10W-40 in the summer, never a problem. I always run 0W-40 for the winter. When I have exhausted my stash, I'll run M1 0W-40 year round.

I agree, there is nothing readily available in the States that's lighter on start-up than M1 0W-40.
Up here in Canada we have a bunch of 0W-30 diesel oils that are lighter than M1 0W-40 including Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30, unfortunately I don't think you can't get it State side but you could try.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
M1 ESP 5W-30?

well he's burning ULSD now which is arguably cleaner than gasoline so super highTBN is no longer needed.

Low SAPS affects ZDDP levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back