Windshield Wiper Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My wife's 08 Rabbit needed new wiper squeegees for the first time. They have the new style single beam steel frameless wiper design.

These stupid things arent designed for refills. Replace only at up to $25 each, depending upon which brand you buy. Really? The average household salary in this country is $40k, which is $20/hr. After taxes that is like $15. Windshield wipers now are priced such that an average earner has to work two hours to afford a replacement set? Seriously?

The rabbit has a 24" and a 19" wiper. Even at wal-mart, the cheapies were $17 and $12, the pricier ones were more like $17 each. At pep boys the bosches were about $20 each, though the second was half off after rabate or something like this. I was not about to pay this.

I love PIAA wipers. They last forever and stay streak free. Really great items. I got two refills ($14 or so) and tried to do the refill.

The VW OE wipers do come apart with a screwdriver. It isnt user friendly, but it will. The OE squeegee will come out eventually with enough force. Try to put another new one in, and the friction really starts. They are tough to pull through, especially where the arm connector holds the two steel bars. It gets tight. The squeegee mounts in the upper most track (where the two steel bars would be installed if this was going on a regular frame wiper). Not a lot of upper rubber to provide form for pushing/pulling this thing through. With enough soapy water the wife and I pulled them through. On the longer one, I nicked it with my fingernail, so it doesnt wipe clean... Time to bet another squeegee and re-do... Just what I want to do.

I just dont get it... Why cant they use a cheaper, more servicable design. Even if the frameless costs $20, $30, even $50 a piece, that's fine, so long as I can refill them. However, they are neither conducive to refilling or convenient to do so.

And frankly, compared to the frame PIAA wipers I have on my other cars, Im not convinced that the frameless designs do any better than framed ones. Ive yet to replace a frame PIAA wiper for poor performance, and I have multiple that are going on 3-4 years now... living outside, summer, winter, direct sun, etc.

Not fun or a cost effective thing...

I hear what you are saying. I buy Anco standard wipers, not the beam type for my car....$7 and lasts 12 months. I have had some rotten luck also with the beam blade style of wipers.

VW/Audi's insistance on the proprietary connectors [censored] me off. My Dad worked for Bosch for 25 years in their wiper division and he agreed it's just them being greedy.

Fortunately the pair of blades for my S4 is $42 out the door, which is about on-par with getting two premium blades at Pep Boys or whatever.

My PIAA silicone wipers have been going strong since 2007. They are so good that I bought them for my parents vehicles so they do not need to worry about buying new blades for a loong time. Some people do not find that they work as good as I do, but I've got them on three vehicles and they are still great after years of use.

Would it be possible to replace your wiper arms with a retro style that would accept the older refillable blades? Unless the posts on the current vehicle are of a completely different design, I don't see why not.

I'm currently using Bosch ICON blades on both of our vehicles. They work great. On sale and after rebate they only cost me $11/pair.

I'm already stocked up with sets of Trico NeoForm blades for the next round. Once the rebates come in, they'll cost me under $5/pair.

Moral of the story... watch the "Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions" forum and take advantage of sales and rebates if you can. It makes it all a lot less frustrating.

I use either the Bosch Evolution or ICON. I love them BOTH for both of our cars.

I feel they are fully worth the price. They last just as long as cheap ones but work 100xs better.

Ill work 2 hours to see out of my windshield in a WA rainstorm.

Also, when its cold out like its been teens-30s, they dont stick to my windshield like the cheap rainx ones did.

Originally Posted By: dparm
VW/Audi's insistance on the proprietary connectors [censored] me off. My Dad worked for Bosch for 25 years in their wiper division and he agreed it's just them being greedy.

Fortunately the pair of blades for my S4 is $42 out the door, which is about on-par with getting two premium blades at Pep Boys or whatever.

I've never experienced this except for tool needed to do repair. Ive personally owned 3 VWs of 3 Generations and i maintain my moms 2 Mk4s.

Lots of brand new cars have beam adapters only.

My S4's "aero wipers" necessitate a dealer-only blade. The connector is unique and no commercial blades include the adapter. Totally stupid.

My S4's "aero wipers" necessitate a dealer-only blade. The connector is unique and no commercial blades include the adapter. Totally stupid.

Our rabbit has a connection on the wiper that is a small square button that clicks into a "head" on the wiper arm that has a little open square. The whole connection part of the wiper slides inside of the body of the female connection on the wiper arm itself. It isnt just an arm with a "U" on the end that an adapter connects to.

Is that what the Audi ones look like too?

Bizarre

I figured they just used Bosch ICONs... My buddies BMW 750 has a totally goofy setup. But you could take a couple things off of it and it was beam blade compatible.

OEM blades on my car are SWF/Valeo, not Bosch.

There is a Bosch AeroTwin set that was specifically made to fit my car but it costs the exact same as the OEM blade...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I would guess cost effective and modern VW don't usually go together.

The Honda was designed to take refills. $16 at the dealer gets a set of refills.

The Buick uses framed Bosch wipers that last about 2 years. $30 every 2 years for wipers isn't going to kill me.

Sucks that your Rabbit is so specific on what it takes!

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I would guess cost effective and modern VW don't usually go together.

No more or less than any other modern vehicle, Id say. The car is great, loads of space, very utilitarian, nice engine, OK economy the way my wife drives (carefully for FE, so she beats EPA every time). Cant complain.

If wipers are the only thing to gripe about, overall Im doing pretty good. And IMO non/marginally serviceable beam wipers are a stupid thing across the auto industry.

Our A6 takes blades like that - $38 per pair from an online outlet or about $45 from a local source. But I think these wipers last a long time so the cost is not that bad; longevity compensates for the frequency.

You buy a more expensive car, you pay for more expensive parts.

Personally I'd rather have beam wipers than anything else, they worked so well.

Heck in the 3rd year towards the end of her lease is when they started working questionable, the first 2 years though were brilliant.

VW is a niche small time maker in the US so aftermarket is limited. They really know how to shoot themselves in the foot with the US consumer.

The rest of the civilized world(#3 is volume maker) they are beyond popular cars(esp Rabbit/Golf). My guess is more suitable replacements and wider selection available at low cost.

The 4 door GTI with 6sp MT would be an immediate replacement for myself, however unsure on reliability on current set.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Would it be possible to replace your wiper arms with a retro style that would accept the older refillable blades? Unless the posts on the current vehicle are of a completely different design, I don't see why not.

Of course that is possible. That's what most people do, I think.

My original wipers for my 2008 xB were the best... I did about three refills on them, and then moved on to Bosch Icons (terrible) and now the Rain-X latitudes... Still suck.

The problem? They do not give even pressure on my windshield. I get streaking with them no matter what. My OEM blades did not.

I am buying OEM replacements come spring once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back