windshield sun shade

Hey guys,

My crv is always parked outdoors with no cover. So it gets uncomfortably hot in the summer months. (Im in the canadian prairies, so it gets 27-30C+ 2-3 months) I know weather tech and covercraft make a custom fit for my crv. I found another company, Heatshield, and they offer all window reflector for my Crv. The difference is about $120-140cdn more than the weathertech and covercraft.

Has anyone used the headshield's system? I'd imagine covering all windows from the UV would be better, but removing all the pieces would be a pita. Waste of money? Just stick with the weathertech/covercraft?

Covering all the windows.... imo would be good if you sleep in the car overnight on a road trip at a rest area or trucker fuel stop, so you can block out all the light, so people can't see inside, and keep the inside relatively dark to sleep better.

I've used Heatshield products for the better part of +20 years. They work and they fit (sometimes) but TBH, I would pass. Their life is around 5 years max; how they're treated greatly determines their useful life. YMMV.

Some tend to crease longitudinally just on their own. Once this happens, they don't stay behind the visors and start to sag. Abuse (putting creases in them) tends to hasten this process.

Lexus.jpg

Lexus: Sags, torn, delaminated, ballooned. Abuse hastened its demise. Ready for the trash bin. This one didn't fit properly - was about 4 inches (total) too short longitudinally. Approximately 5 years old.

Even taken care of, the frequent unrolling/rolling takes its toll. I've had 5 or 6 of them for the Legend. I'm ready to find another brand.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forget to mention. On hot Central Valley days, they get hotter than Hades. So much so, you can't handle them to roll them. My wife just tosses them unrolled into the back seat (abuse).

My Roadster has a chopped windshield and there was only one custom-made sunshade available. I got it from minimania. I've been using sunshades for 20 years with good success. No cracked or delaminating dashboards, and no boiling hot steering wheels. If you can get one that has a mirrored side and a black side, get one of those since you live in a colder climate.

I have one of these for my car. Good quality and the fit is real nice.

Hey guys,

My crv is always parked outdoors with no cover. So it gets uncomfortably hot in the summer months. (Im in the canadian prairies, so it gets 27-30C+ 2-3 months) I know weather tech and covercraft make a custom fit for my crv. I found another company, Heatshield, and they offer all window reflector for my Crv. The difference is about $120-140cdn more than the weathertech and covercraft.

Has anyone used the headshield's system? I'd imagine covering all windows from the UV would be better, but removing all the pieces would be a pita. Waste of money? Just stick with the weathertech/covercraft?
I have a simple 1 piece heatshield for my windshield. Good quality and fit. It's all I need. Just, also, crack the window/s if you wish.

How does it hold up? My experience is that the foam ones get soft and saggy after a while and then don’t work well at all.

Hey guys,

I've not used the Heatshield system, but I do use a WeatherTech shade. I agree that it could be a PITA to remove and install a full set every day, nonetheless, I'm considering a full set. My car sits unused for several days at a time, and it's in an unshaded parking lot. It would be nice if the interior got some extra protection the days the car just sits there. And there are days it's just used for an hour or two first thing in the morning, so it would be nice to cover the glass during the rest of the day, the hotter part of the day.

Based on my experience with shades over several decades, I'd say that any quality brand will work well, but I do like the WeatherTech quality more than the other brands that I've used, the names of which I don't recall.

Sorry I can't halp with amy comments about the product specifically... I mainly wanted to offer my thoughts on getting a full set.

This is what I have too. (y)

How does it hold up? My experience is that the foam ones get soft and saggy after a while and then don’t work well at all.
Mine is still perfect. I've had it a couple years but being in Minnesota I don't use it nearly as much as someone down south.

It's on the car right now. The forecast for today is 99F

I have one of the HeatShield brands for my Jaguar. The fit is perfect and it installs and uninstalls easily and quickly. I like how it rolls up, it fits nicely in one of those cargo net things I have in the hatch when not in use. It does make a difference, I use it when I park the car down in the desert when I am shopping or on doctors appointments. The car is garaged when at home so I can't comment upon its long term durability.

Have you considered a complete car cover ? Covercraft has a good guide on their webpage to help choose the type you may need for different applications. When I was still working, I used to cover my Infiniti G35 and my 370Z all day while they sat in a parking lot in the Southern California sun. Both cars still had beautiful paint and leather interiors after more than 5 years and I got a lot of compliments that they "still looked new". The cars were garaged at night but keeping that sun off of them for 9-10 hours a day sure made a difference.

I've not used the Heatshield system, but I do use a WeatherTech shade. I agree that it could be a PITA to remove and install a full set every day, nonetheless, I'm considering a full set. My car sits unused for several days at a time, and it's in an unshaded parking lot. It would be nice if the interior got some extra protection the days the car just sits there. And there are days it's just used for an hour or two first thing in the morning, so it would be nice to cover the glass during the rest of the day, the hotter part of the day.

Based on my experience with shades over several decades, I'd say that any quality brand will work well, but I do like the WeatherTech quality more than the other brands that I've used, the names of which I don't recall.

Sorry I can't halp with amy comments about the product specifically... I mainly wanted to offer my thoughts on getting a full set.
Weathertech outsources their shades.

And it looks lot like the Heatshield system right now.

iirc, previously, it supplied by Covercraft (which i had before, but it was OK..., but I didn't like how bulky it was)

If you haven’t already done it, I would consider a ceramic window tint to help keep out the heat. Clear window films are available if you don’t want a darker window. I live near Austin, TX, and they really help reduce the interior heat. All of my family “daily” vehicles got ceramic tints if they weren’t already tinted when I bought them.

Back