Custom windshield sun shade...............

........does anyone on this site use one? I was thinking of ordering a Covercraft custom sun shade for my wife's 2005 Highlander. The store bought ones seem to lack a decent fit and they seem flimsy.

JHZR2

Staff member
I got one for my wife's car from classic motoring accessories. Fits nice, but not as stowable as the soft ones.

Mine is a HeatShield from a company in CA called Canvas Works: http://www.heatshieldstore.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=2379 Not sure what the price was 2 years ago, probably pretty close to the $34.95 they ask now. It was worth every penny, as the full-size shade from WM or AutoZone was too big, even on my big car, and the mid-size was too small. Mine is sturdy, rolls up easily like a map, and stows on the floor behind the front seats. I see now they have rear window patterns too, but you have to call them up about those. I've been using an old regular sunshade for the rear when the car is parked all day long. A custom fit would be nice.

I have the Saturn-branded sunshade for my VUE that looks just like those covercraft ones. They fit very well, the only complaint I can think of is that the roll-up style does get a bit wrinkled after frequent use and therefore sags a little in the middle after awhile.

I have one. It still has a 1/2" - 1" gap on three sides, but I still would recommend one. I also bought a cool carrying sack/bag looking thing with it and it fits in it nicely.

I've been using Heat Shields for the past ten years or so. They work great, but I've had some that delaminated fairly quickly just from routine use. I like them because I don't have to purchase a bunch of generic brands to find one that fits. Plus, on the off chance that I do find one of these that fits, when I go to find a replacement the brand is usually out of business. So the extra cost of a custom fit shade is worth it to me.