Windshield Fluid That Doesn't Belong

I made a big mistake a few weeks ago with my car by adding the wrong fluid to my windshield washer reservoir (similar to a prior post). Now have a new project on my list.

It was dark, late and raining and I had just finished an oil change and was otherwise partially distracted. I knew the reservoir was empty, so when I saw the green bottle of fluid that I thought was rainx windshield washer fluid, I poured some in before calling it a night.

I mistakenly added this All Purpose Cleaner (Detailer) D101, which is the same color.
https://www.meguiars.com/ingredients/1816
This is an interior only cleaner and normally gets diluted 12:1.

After washing the windows while driving the other day, there was a very strong smell like window cleaner in the car and there was a very soapy result. After it dried there was a white residue all over my windows and car. I thought I perhaps had pre-mixed some de-icer boost in the washer fluid or that it was too concentrated and that was leaving the residue. I hosed it off quickly but after it dried the white spots were still there. I washed the car, scrubbing the spots and thought it was gone. After it dried the white spots are still there. That's when I noticed my mistake and realized that it was the wrong fluid. Some of the ingredients in the detailing fluid caused the hard water spots and it's all over the car including the paint, aluminum, and all the windows from the overspray.

Looking at the ingredients, I think it's the Sodium Metasilicate in the ingredient list that has reacted. Apparently a very powerful alkali that can leave impossible to remove sodium silicate mineral deposits which are very similar to the chemistry of glass. I'm now trying to identify a way to remove them without doing more damage - perhaps a silica based compound or cerium oxide in water if they don't do further damage.

I also need to somehow drain and flush the windshield washer reservoir.

I'm never pouring anything in the car again without triple checking the container!

Any other ideas from the forum?

Any polishing compound on the paint, or if that doesn't work, wet sanding. Cerium oxide only on the glass. Can you stick a hose in the washer bottle to siphon it out? Or activate the washer pump with a scan tool and divert the hose into a bottle?

Pop the hose off the squirters and lift the wiper blades off the glass. Spray until the tank empties. Run some water through it. Then refill. Clay bar would be my first though, then polish. Vinegar wipe if not. Sucks to waste a gallon of Meg’s! Hope you get it cleaned up.

Back