Windows xp freezes on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had windows xp freeze during startup . It freezes on the XP screen then I pull the power plug and restart . I then get the screen with options and choose to start from "Last Good Configuration ".

The computer then starts and gets to to the desktop with the mouse visible but frozen . It takes a few more sequences of pulling the plug and finally gets running . Is there any common cause for this to happen ? I ran a spyware sweep but it did not help .

Could be anything, hit F8 when it's starting to get into safe mode.

Could be a hardware issue, try taking the case off your computer and blowing a fan at it to cool it off.

Dells, and presumably others, had bad capacitors on their motherboards and in power supplies that bulged, leaked, and wreaked intermittent havoc.

Another good trick (with it off) is to unseat all the ram and anything else in a PCI slot etc and reseat it, scraping corrosion off the contacts.

Sounds like some boot files may be wonky. When you get it to the desktop, go to my computer and right click on the C: drive and select properties. Look for the Tools tab. There will be an option for error checking. Select that and check the boxes for recovering errors. Reboot and it will begin checking the files and recovering bad sectors. Works sometimes.

Also Elgifino gave some good advise to try too.

Dave

You never mentioned what Browser you are using and what's you've done to correct this so far (outside of that spyware sweep). I will assume you are not using energy-hog Internet Explorer. If you are, switch to Mozilla Firefox.

Temporarily disable all Add-Ons except Flashplayer
Uninstall all toolbars you've added
Temporarily disable any Scheduled Tasks in Control Panel
Make sure your browser is up-to-date

Click Start button
Click Run
Type in - MSCONFIG
Choose Selective Startup
Click On - STARTUP
Remove checkmarks from all non-essential tasks
Click on - OK

Restart your computer

Couple more things! If you have a large volume of backups in System Restore, do a major cleanup on those too. Also, your hard drive may be at/near capacity. Or you may need more memory.

All these things help create a much faster operating system.

Last edited:
Is this XP 32 or 64 bit? Is it a home made Pc or name brand? How much ram, make and type. 533,667?
Reason I ask is that sometimes hardware compatibility, failure of ram module, placement and bios update or bios settings could be part of the problem. Many name brand computers will have bios updates and fixes for things like this. It may be worth checking their sites just in case. If you would like just provide the make and model of the Pc and I can look it up for you if time is an issue.
Did the computer do this after being on for a while, or did this start when you first turned the PC on?
If this occurred after being on for a while I would check the cooling fan for the processor. Maybe it's clogged with dust or the power pin has come out, or its just died.

The other thing is that right now a few nasty boot directory viruses are causing XP issues so if you can get into safe mode I would run a full scan with Malwarebytes or try Combofix. Just be aware that some of these viruses can do irreparable damage to the boot directory and sometimes do require a full reinstall to fix. If the issue doesn't allow you to install these programs, use another Pc (if possible) and install the programs on a USB and run them from that on your pc. www.malwarebytes.org

Is the computer fully up to date with all current win updates?
Out of curiosity have you added any new hardware to the computer recently like a new video card, hard drive?
Depending on how powerful the power supply is, it may be overtaxed or in need of replacement, or sometimes dusty as [censored] and needing cleaning. Dust in a computer is one of the worst things on electrical contacts. I have seen many Pc's acting like yours and after a total cleaning no further problems. Not always the case, just something to be aware of.
Did the issue start after a new program was added or has it been going on for a while?

Try hitting F8 during startup and selecting Repair. See if after this the issue is resolved.
If no luck then hit F8 again during startup and select Safe mode. Go through any new programs installed and remove them one by one, restarting each time to see if the issue resolves. I know it's timely but its necessary.

Sorry for all the questions and mass of info, just trying to cover the bases for you.

Okay last thing I promise.
If you are sure that it has no viruses and a new piece of hardware isn't the issue then try this.

With the PC off and unplugged, pull the ram modules out of the PC. (MAKE SURE YOU GROUND YOURSELF TO THE CASE OF THE PC FIRST!) To do this touch the inner steel case once the side is open. If you don't you could fry the board and everything attached to it with a static discharge.
Clean the contacts and the inserts where they plug in to the PC. To clean them just use an old dry toothbrush. I know it sounds funny but it works. Once clean Reinsert them and lock them in. Start PC and see if problem resolves.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Click On - STARTUP
Remove checkmarks from all non-essential tasks

I also sometimes have start-up issues with XP. Below is the list of items in my start-up menu from CCleaner. The ones marked "No" are ones I felt pretty safe disabling, but I don't know how essential most of the others are. Are any of these non-essential?

Thanks!

Tom NJ

Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Yes HKCU:Run MSMSGS Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
No HKCU:Run swg Google Inc. "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
No HKLM:Run Adobe Photo Downloader Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\apdproxy.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run EvtMgr6 Logitech, Inc. C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe /launchGaming
Yes HKLM:Run FileOpenBroker FileOpen Systems Inc. C:\Program Files\FileOpen\Services\FileOpenBroker32.exe
Yes HKLM:Run GrooveMonitor Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run HotKeysCmds Intel Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
Yes HKLM:Run HP Software Update Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
Yes HKLM:Run IgfxTray Intel Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run LifeCam Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Microsoft LifeCam\LifeExp.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run MaxMenuMgr Seagate LLC "C:\Program Files\Seagate\SeagateManager\FreeAgent Status\StxMenuMgr.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run MSC Microsoft Corporation "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
Yes HKLM:Run NeroFilterCheck Ahead Software Gmbh C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
Yes HKLM:Run Persistence Intel Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
No HKLM:Run RemoteControl Cyberlink Corp. "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
Yes Startup Common Flywheel.lnk Plannet Crafters, Inc. C:\Program Files\Plannet Crafters\Flywheel\Flywheel.exe
No Startup Common HotSync Manager.lnk Palm Computing, Inc., a 3Com Company C:\Palm\hotsync.exe
No Startup Common HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\PROGRA~1\HP\DIGITA~1\bin\hpqtra08.exe
No Startup Common Lotus Organizer EasyClip.lnk Lotus Development Corporation C:\Lotus\organize\easyclip.exe
No Startup Common Lotus QuickStart.lnk Lotus Development Corporation C:\Lotus\wordpro\ltsstart.exe
No Startup Common Lotus SmartCenter.lnk Lotus Development Corporation. C:\Lotus\smartctr\SMARTCTR.EXE
No Startup Common Lotus SuiteStart.lnk Lotus Development Corporation. C:\Lotus\smartctr\SUITEST.EXE
No Startup Common McAfee Security Scan Plus.lnk McAfee, Inc. C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE~1\30982A~1.207\SSSCHE~1.EXE
No Startup User Event Reminder.lnk C:\PROGRA~1\MINDSC~1\PRINTM~1\PMREMIND.EXE
No Startup User Lotus SmartSuite 9.6 - English Registration.lnk IntelliQuest Communications, Inc. C:\LOTUS\REGISTER\remind32.exe
No Startup User OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk Microsoft Corporation C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE

If one does not have SP3, reloading XP and getting patches from M$ might be difficult. I have an old install disk and one has to do some research on how to load the new update manager, because it requires SP3 now.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Time to move off Win XP

Agreed upgrade to a new computer now and save yourself time, future headache, and possibly money.

Keep the old system to teach yourself linux. If you do have a hardware problem like a failing hard drive, that will become apparent during the install, testing, and learning.

Hi Thanks for all of the info . I have had a hard time getting this to boot . I just got online and will try to get some of these ideas going .
Dave I did the error checking and thought it resolved some of the problem but will keep at it .

I just rebooted 6x and finally got going
My computer is a old Dell Desktop Dimension 2400 512mb ram sp3- . I use Chrome mostly with Comodo Firewall . Just recieved about 50 firewall message popups stating "defense is learning"....... with some c drive key modification jargon in each message. Never saw that many before .

Again thanks. It reminds me of trying to start an old car !

Last edited:
Roob this has been happening for about a week . I am pretty sure all updates are current . I am a little scared to do any online transactions now that I received all those firewall messages .

I did a system restore as well

Originally Posted By: sleepery
Roob this has been happening for about a week . I am pretty sure all updates are current . I am a little scared to do any online transactions now that I received all those firewall messages .

I did a system restore as well

A virus also seems like a possibility, although it might be possible that strange dialog was coming from the antivirus software you might have there.

If you recover user data under linux, it would be completely safe, as any windows viruses would be completely incompatible under linux. People barely even bother to write linux viruses or worms.

If you upgrade to a modern win 8 system, the anti virus security is included in the OS, and there are multiple daily definition updates.

You did a system restore back to factory settings?
Still boot probos?
If both yes..
Go to Western Digital's web and download windlg and test the HHD in a different computer. You MIGHT be able to download a bootable cd (ISO) to test in the computer it's in. MIGHT...
If it passes, download memtest 420 ISO and make a bootable CD.
If they both pass.. Toss.

Just downloaded malewarebytes and did a quick scan 5 items were found and removed they were:3 Maleware.trace ,Adwareistbar and rootkit.tds . I am going to try to reboot now .

Triple, I followed your tip and can now boot but before I click my chrome browser the chrome browser opens automatically to a homepage called masterduck.com . I have to close this and open chrome normally to get to my normal homepage .

Does this seem like a virus that causes the browser to open on its own when booting up?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: sleepery
Triple, I followed your tip and can now boot but before I click my chrome browser the chrome browser opens automatically to a homepage called masterduck.com . I have to close this and open chrome normally to get to my normal homepage .

Does this seem like a virus that causes the browser to open on its own when booting up?
Thanks

yep, looks like the virus script has finished rewriting your browser setting to do whatever it was designed to do.

Thanks for the info.
Did you by any chance install Comodo around the same time as the issues started?
One of the issues of using Comodo firewall and chrome together is that the memory usage on your computer will be quite high, about 200-220 meg of usage isnt uncommon. As you have 512 meg total you can see how this can become a problem with many other processes needing memory too. If you click on task manager you can see the processes and mem usage being used. Lack of memory will cause extremely slow start ups, delays in opening programs, freezes and crashes if more than one program is calling for a high amount of memory.
What I would try is to uninstall/disable Comodo firewall and use the built in firewall. XP doesn't have the greatest firewall as it is a one way firewall but if you are using a router with wpa2-psk security, it will have a hardware firewall as well.
Combined you will have enough security for general usage.
Trying the above will give you some more memory to work with, increase the startup and hopefully allow you to zero in on the issue here.
Did any of your scans find anything? What program did you use to scan?
In regard to the firewall messages from Comodo, when it is newly installed it goes through a learning process that causes a lot of messages to pop up. It's perfectly normal for Comodo to do this. Just make sure you read them before you click on them as it uses your responses for future decisions it makes.

Cheers.

Sorry, I left a response before I read the newer threads about the rootkit issue.
Kaspersky has a rootkit killer on their site. TDSS remover.
Bleepingcomputer.com also has a program called RKILL. It will kill the rootkit process and allow you to remove it using Malwarebytes.

It's critically important that you follow the instructions for each to the T.
Take your time and you will have it removed and the PC back to normal.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back