Windows recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an old HP desktop (maybe 4-6 years old). It has Windows Vista and an Intel Dual Core processor. Came home from work one day and it was frozen up. Turned it off,and it won't boot back up. When I turn it on,it goes to the screen where it says "loading windows" where it has that bar graph that goes back and forth,then goes to a solid blue screen,and won't boot up any further.

I have a Windows 7 recovery disc that came with my HP laptop that has Windows 7. Can I use the Windows 7 recovery disc to repair my desktop?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I have a Windows 7 recovery disc that came with my HP laptop that has Windows 7. Can I use the Windows 7 recovery disc to repair my desktop?

I don't know for sure, but I'd venture to say it will not work.

I doubt it will work. If you haven't lost any data it would be the perfect time to give Linux Mint 17 a try.

Not going to work. +1 to the suggestion of trying Linux Mint on there.. You can even recover any files that are on the HDD with a live Linux disc!

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Not going to work. +1 to the suggestion of trying Linux Mint on there.. You can even recover any files that are on the HDD with a live Linux disc!

I hope you're right, but without KNOWING why the Windows boot failed or what might be wrong with the HD it sounds premature to say that data from the HD CAN be recovered.

GrtArtiste

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
I hope you're right, but without KNOWING why the Windows boot failed or what might be wrong with the HD it sounds premature to say that data from the HD CAN be recovered.

GrtArtiste

Everything he said happened points to a Windows OS failure. Sure if the HDD went out you may or may not be able to recover the files.. But sure sounds like a windows problem to me.

Yeah,I was wondering if it would even be worth a try. I read on a computer forum where people had the exact same thing happen to their Windows Vista computers,and the Windows 7 recovery disc worked. I have a ton of rare as hen's teeth old music saved on this computer,and I just want to make sure I don't lose it.

Where can I get the live Linux disc,and how do you do it?

Where can I get the live Linux disc,and how do you do it?

Download the Mate 32 bit iso and then burn it to the DVD or make a bootable USB with it.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

We have an old HP desktop (maybe 4-6 years old). It has Windows Vista and an Intel Dual Core processor. Came home from work one day and it was frozen up. Turned it off,and it won't boot back up. When I turn it on,it goes to the screen where it says "loading windows" where it has that bar graph that goes back and forth,then goes to a solid blue screen,and won't boot up any further.

Before you do that try a couple of things FIRST!

1) Turn the PC off, now unplug the unit. Now hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds. Then plug it back in and try starting again....

If that doesn't work....

2)When you turn the power on tap on F11 until you see the HP recovery screen, you have some options try the option of
"Use last known good configuration to boot" or it will say something very similar. Enter that choice and let it reboot.

Let us know what happens...

DO THE THINGS I SUGGESTED ABOVE
BEFORE YOU DO A DESTRUCTIVE RECOVERY!

Last edited:
Yeah,I was wondering if it would even be worth a try. I read on a computer forum where people had the exact same thing happen to their Windows Vista computers,and the Windows 7 recovery disc worked. I have a ton of rare as hen's teeth old music saved on this computer,and I just want to make sure I don't lose it.

Using any recovery disc will wipe the hard drive anyway, so you need to concentrate on data recovery first, which a linux live disc will help do.

However if the hard drive is toast (definite possibility) you might be SOL.

Take the computer to a shop.

In the future keep a copy of important stuff on an external USB Hard Drive and Google Drive gives you 15 GB of free storage space and for a small monthly fee more.

With any computer it is not if but when.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Before you do that try a couple of things FIRST!

1) Turn the PC off, now unplug the unit. Now hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds. Then plug it back in and try starting again....

If that doesn't work....

2)When you turn the power on tap on F11 until you see the HP recovery screen, you have some options try the option of
"Use last known good configuration to boot" or it will say something very similar. Enter that choice and let it reboot.

Let us know what happens...

First choice didn`t do anything. 2nd choice got me to the recovery screen,but when I click on the recovery icon,it says "error",then goes to the solid blue screen.

I almost wonder if the CMOS battery is dead?

Lets try something else, again disconnect the power and hold the power button in for 30 seconds then plug it in again..

This time when pressing the power button tap on F8.

Now what options do you see?

If you see use last known good configuration select it and press enter.

Last edited:
Here`s what it`s doing when I boot up:

6pakj9.jpg

Then it goes to this screen,and I click "yes".

28t89xj.jpg

After I click "yes",I get this error message:

9kxrp1.jpg

I click "ok",and it goes back to this and freezes on this screen,with the internal fans going full speed and not stopping:

261epno.jpg

Try pressing ESC.

Now what choices do you get?
===============================================

In the system recovery options..
select
no, I want to see other options

I'm using XP....LOL yeah I know its not supported anymore but it still is working perfectly and I do have malware protection.

Last edited:
Try pressing ESC.

Now what choices do you get?

It freezes when it gets back to that last screen and pushing ESC,or the other buttons does`t do anything.

It may not have worked, but it was a heck of a good suggestion.

In any event, now is the time to do a download of a Linux LiveCD and see if anything useful can be salvaged from the hard drive. Starting it with a LiveCD is also nondestructive.

Also, isn't F12 another one of the key tap options so far missing in this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back