Windows Defender Error Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
Z, after you try Overkill's suggestion, because I think I know what he's getting at, and the other ones mentioned here, is there a way to go with Microsoft Security Essentials instead?

There is no Windows 7 Update that would update Defender and turn it in to Security Essentials. I did however find where to download Security Essentials for Windows 7 on Microsoft's website. I might download SE and just try it out for awhile. Installing SE should automatically disable Defender.

Or go with some other 3rd party free AV, not sure which one. I'll probably be shopping for a new computer with Windows 10 on it about 1 year from now anyway.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
What happens when you run Windows Update?

My machine has all current updates. I get a notification every time Windows detects a new update. I then decide when and what updates to install.

Run Windows Update manually. Do you have Microsoft Update or just Windows Update? Below the progress bar does it say "Updates for Windows only" or "Updates for Windows and other Microsoft Products"?

Windows Defender on Windows 7 is not the same as Windows Defender on Windows 10, which I think is what Garak is getting at. It's not meant to be an AV replacement, which is why Security Essentials is a free download through Windows Update for it. Defender in 10 is an evolution of Security Essentials.

For Windows 7, you really want a robust standalone AV and my recommendation for ESET NOD32 still stands.

I'm also running Malwarebytes Premium (their full version), which runs in real time. So whatever anti-virus program I run it needs to play nice with Malwarebytes Premium.

So if Security Essentials was used, then Defender should be disabled?

If you install Security Essentials I believe it either disables or changes the configuration for Defender accordingly.

My machine has all current updates. I get a notification every time Windows detects a new update. I then decide when and what updates to install.

Run Windows Update manually. Do you have Microsoft Update or just Windows Update? Below the progress bar does it say "Updates for Windows only" or "Updates for Windows and other Microsoft Products"?

It says: "For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update".

It says: "For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update".

Then under Optional Updates, Security Essentials should be listed.

I think Defender gets turned off when another Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware program is loaded. If you then launch Defender it will ask if you want to turn it on. You can turn it on, and that's how I'm running Defender and Malwarebytes at the same time. They seem to play together OK. Like mentioned earlier, I did a "clean boot" into Windows, which disables Malearebytes and lots of other programs that are not Microsoft provided. Still got the same error message in Defender.

That's sort of what I was thinking, and was pretty sure it was something similar with MSE, too.

No "Optional Updates" tab ... I just took this screen shot after doing a manual check for updates.

Capture.JPG

No "Optional Updates" tab ... I just took this screen shot after doing a manual check for updates.

That's really odd....

I'm guessing it sees MWB as an AV and thusly isn't showing you Security Essentials as an optional update.

That's really odd....

I'm guessing it sees MWB as an AV and thusly isn't showing you Security Essentials as an optional update.

That could be. I can just manually install Security Essentials ... I found the download page on Microsofts's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back