Windows 7 Questions

Not that it helps much, but I had to chime in...

For the past few years, I've been using an HP Elitebook 8730w (aka ANCIENT) laptop as my main computer and it's been flawless. It's basically bone stock outside my upgrading the internal HDD with an SSD which handles nothing more than OS duty. I moved the existing HDD to a caddy which replaced the internal CD drive as I had no use for the ability to utilize physical media.

As for specs: I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. The system itself has a Core 2 Duo T9600 @ 2.8 GHz, 4 GB ram. It handles everything I throw at it with ease, be it web browsing or YT videos or the like. I've had such good luck with this machine I actually bought a used 8440p to use as a shop computer at work. It sits on my toolbox streaming Spotify all day in addition to allowing me access to ProDemand and Identifix right from my service bay. Because of these machine, I've become an Elitebook fan for life.

Set up a stick with Ventoy and you can put all manner of "test drives" and recovery images on a stick.
I looked at that site and I'm trying to absorb the information. I can't tell if the .iso file for Win10 is on this site, or do you have to obtain it someplace else ... is so where?

I take it once you setup a Win10 .iso file on this special USB setup that you can boot-up in Win10 just like it was installed on your boot-up disk - ?.

1651697771233.png

I looked at that link and trying to absorb the information. I can't tell if the .iso file for Win10 is on this site, or do you have to obtain it someplace else ... is so where?

I take it once you setup a Win10 .iso file on this special USB setup that you can boot-up in Win10 just like it was installed on your boot-up disk - ?.

View attachment 98666
A Win10 ISO will try to install or recover. I don't think it offers a "test drive" like many Linux distros do.
If you have a Win10 ISO on a thumb drive with Ventoy, it's like having a CD. Ventoy will boot and provide a menu of all the ISOs you've placed on it to boot.

I have an older Windows 7 64B PC. which I did a clean install of the O.S. and all updates are current. I did the OS install a few months ago. It has a Pentium D 3.00GHZ processor, 8 GB ram, 650MB WD hard drive, NVidia Geforce 8300 graphics. Nothing special but it is a slow performing dog. I have disabled so many services which has not helped. All I want to use this for is general web browsing and youtube videos which are practically useless. Processor load is always at 100% doing even the most basic things and is noticibly slower than a couple old XP pentium 4 pc's I have. For some reason when I check in system properties, 8 GB of memory is shown but only 3.5GB is usable memory. I would appreciate any hacks or changes in settings which might help this under performing PC.
What process is using up that 100% CPU? I’d be real worried someone was using my computer to mine bitcoin if I found myself in that particular scenario.

As others have said, you need to ditch the Win7 asap. Win10 will work fine on that box if you replace the HD with an SSD. I have an old Dell box with virtually identical specs except mine has an SSD and only 4 GB RAM, and it handles Win10 just fine…plus two other installs of Linux.

It’s only when I try to run a virtual instance of WinXP from within Win10 (using VirtualBox) that I get bored waiting for things to happen and start cussing.

What process is using up that 100% CPU? I’d be real worried someone was using my computer to mine bitcoin if I found myself in that particular scenario.

As others have said, you need to ditch the Win7 asap. Win10 will work fine on that box if you replace the HD with an SSD. I have an old Dell box with virtually identical specs except mine has an SSD and only 4 GB RAM, and it handles Win10 just fine…plus two other installs of Linux.

It’s only when I try to run a virtual instance of WinXP from within Win10 (using VirtualBox) that I get bored waiting for things to happen and start cussing.
It's the browser. I use firefox or chrome, it doesn't matter, 100% processor utillization all the time. It's just time I come to terms with it and upgrade the hardware and OS..

Last edited:
Back