Windows 7 Questions

Most of our desktop computers at work were still running W7 in early 2020 when Microsoft support ended. Exactly six months later, in July, I suddenly found that I could not update nor run a vital Java–Oracle app, so corporate had to air a replacement new computer with W10 to me. You might find that certain software or apps simply will not function with W7 or XP.

Corporate had planned to replace all the computers anyway. Soon afterward, all were.

This has to be said over and over and over again: Windows 7 is end-of-life'd. It is extremely unwise to continue using it in an internet-facing capacity.

If you need to breathe new life into an older system and you need to do the basics (but would prefer to do the basics more privately, securely, stably and efficiently) use any one of the myriad Linux-based OS's out there.
And, on your advice, (in an earlier post) I just upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 since it is now marked LTS. I DO miss my old (21.04) stars background, but I can live with the included ones just fine.
Also, it appears to have fixed my right click menu issues in Chrome, so that's what I'm working with as I type this.
Thanks for the advice.
I think the OP would be much happier with a Linux distro if he would just give it a try.
My best advice for the OP would be to do a dual install, running both OS's on the same machine, then decide which version he likes the best.
GRUB is still around, isn't it?

And, on your advice, (in an earlier post) I just upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 since it is now marked LTS. I DO miss my old (21.04) stars background, but I can live with the included ones just fine.
Also, it appears to have fixed my right click menu issues in Chrome, so that's what I'm working with as I type this.
Thanks for the advice.
I think the OP would be much happier with a Linux distro if he would just give it a try.
My best advice for the OP would be to do a dual install, running both OS's on the same machine, then decide which version he likes the best.
GRUB is still around, isn't it?
Could even test drive it without installing. I believe a "test drive" option is included when booting from the ISO, right?
That would also be a good test to see if the OP can see all 8gb of RAM, if performance is better under Linux, etc.

Could even test drive it without installing. I believe a "test drive" option is included when booting from the ISO, right?
That would also be a good test to see if the OP can see all 8gb of RAM, if performance is better under Linux, etc.
Yes!

The desktop image allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This type of image is what most people will want to use. You will need at least 1024MiB of RAM to install from this image.

Win10 Vulnerabilities

Win11 Vulnerabilities
Yep, but those will all be dealt with if they aren't already, unlike with Windows 7.

So is a Win7 machine going to get hacked just by connecting to the internet, or does the user need to visit unknown websites and start clicking on things they don't know what the link is going to do?
At this point? No. If the user is running an appropriately secure browser (Edge/Firefox/Chrome...etc) and behind a firewall, the risk is reduced. It isn't like back in the day where people were directly connecting 98/2K/XP boxes to the internet and getting pwn3d in minutes. There are some vulnerabilities in SMB for example, and some OS level vulnerabilities that could be exploited if malicious code was able to make its way onto the system and get executed, whereas these exploits have been patched in more recent OS's. There's a print spooler exploit as well. A lot of them require local code execution. Still however, even with a modern browser, given how much malicious code is out there on websites/pop-ups/adverts...etc having an unpatched/unsupported system is a significant risk. If you combine a browser exploit which bypasses sandboxing and allows local code execution and the system is vulnerable to that attack, you could have personal information taken for example.

I will download and give it a try. Maybe it will buy me some time till I can put together something new.

Or, run it on a memory stick. I've done that before. It's a little slower though, so it won't give a true picture of the speed improvements, but it will let you see the features and usefulness.
Set up a stick with Ventoy and you can put all manner of "test drives" and recovery images on a stick.

Yep, but those will all be dealt with if they aren't already, unlike with Windows 7.
I haven't dug into all that Win7, Win10 and Win11 Vulnerabilities data in the links, but aren't a lot of these already handled with updates over the years?

Which vulnerabilities in Win7 haven't been dealt with in that list? I thought the print spooler vulnerability was addressed for Win7 by Mircrosoft, even after support for Win7 ended (?).

I mean if Win10 has more listed vulnerabilities than Win7 at this point, why haven't I seen security updates every day on my Win10 machine?

Last edited:
why haven't I seen security updates every day on my Win10 machine?

Because they don't release bug fixes immediately upon fixing them (like linux does lol)

It is referred to as "Patch Tuesday"

I haven't dug into all that Win7, Win10 and Win11 Vulnerabilities data in the links, but aren't a lot of these already handled with updates over the years?

Which vulnerabilities in Win7 haven't been dealt with in that list? I thought the print spooler vulnerability was addressed for Win7 by Mircrosoft, even after support for Win7 ended (?).

I mean if Win10 has more listed vulnerabilities than Win7 at this point, why haven't I seen security updates every day on my Win10 machine?
There was a previous print spooler vulnerability that was patched, there's a more recent one that hasn't been.

Here is the 2022 list alone of unpatched vulnerabilities in 7:

There was a previous print spooler vulnerability that was patched, there's a more recent one that hasn't been.

Here is the 2022 list alone of unpatched vulnerabilities in 7:
I had to revisit the printer spooler vulnerability again. Seems like it's only an issue with computers on a network that all share a printer(s) - true or not? I remember when the first patch for Win7 was released even for Win7 machines after support ended, and I never saw it come through in Updates. Probably because it wasn't on a network and just a stand-alone Win7 machine.

Last edited:
I had to revisit the printer spooler vulnerability again. Seems like it's only an issue with computers on a network that all share a printer(s) - true or not? I remember when the first patch for Win7 was released even for Win7 machines after support ended, and I never saw it come through in Updates. Probably because it wasn't on a network and just a stand-alone Win7 machine.

Yes, it's a network printer share vulnerability, just like an SMB vulnerability affects network file shares. The problem of course is that if you have those machines on the network and a malicious actor gains access to that network, they can potentially take advantage of that exploit. With home users and many small businesses using inexpensive, extremely basic and often not up-to-date el cheapo routers from BestBuy, it's possible for that to be the case and them being blissfully unaware. More advanced firewall and network security solutions have IDS (Intrusion Detection System), AMP (Advanced Malware Protection) and other robust firewall features that allow identification and blocking of bad actors, threats, malicious code...etc. They are also kept up-to-date so that the device itself isn't vulnerable.

Back