Windows 10 update = wifi killer

In a case of deja vu, my netbook booted up after a Windows update, and there’s no WiFi connection. My gaming laptop did the same thing a while back. Look in device manager, and there’s an exclamation mark next to the WiFi adapter and it says the driver failed to load. Rounded up the jump drive that had the drivers on it, but when I deleted the device, checking the box to delete the drivers, and let it re-detect it, it apparently loaded the driver successfully.

The gaming laptop forgot what it was when the update finished, it had an “unknown network device” that required re-installing the drivers. On another occasion it just decided to turn off the WiFi after an update, so I had to toggle it on again.

Do Windows update and Qualcomm adapters just not play nicely together?

Edit: Apparently this happens a lot from the Google results. Note to self: Get used to fixing WiFi after Windows update.

Last edited:
I didn't have problems with WIFI however on both computers I use, it made Firefox/waterfox complete unusable. Websites would take 30-40 minutes to load. Resetting firefox and waterfox and completely uninstalling and reinstalling had no effect. I reverted back solely because of that issue. All other browsers seemed to work fine.

They just can't seem to do Windows 10 right, while Windows 7 was rock solid with any of its updates.

For whatever reason the Win10 Photos application just isn't very good. Numerous times I've noticed it eating up ram/cpu while looking at a single picture.

In a case of deja vu, my netbook booted up after a Windows update, and there’s no WiFi connection. My gaming laptop did the same thing a while back. Look in device manager, and there’s an exclamation mark next to the WiFi adapter and it says the driver failed to load. Rounded up the jump drive that had the drivers on it, but when I deleted the device, checking the box to delete the drivers, and let it re-detect it, it apparently loaded the driver successfully.

The gaming laptop forgot what it was when the update finished, it had an “unknown network device” that required re-installing the drivers. On another occasion it just decided to turn off the WiFi after an update, so I had to toggle it on again.

Do Windows update and Qualcomm adapters just not play nicely together?

Edit: Apparently this happens a lot from the Google results. Note to self: Get used to fixing WiFi after Windows update.

What is the age of the hardware in question?

What is the age of the hardware in question?

It's probably 10 years old, an Acer Aspire One with an Intel Atom processor. Turns out it not only nuked the wifi driver, but it also messed up the start menu so clicking the start menu had no effect. Managed to do a reset, and it's working again. Only reason I had put Windows back on that machine was to update the BIOS. Just got done getting it to dual boot with Linux Mint 20 that just came out, and Linux is still running way better on this old machine. Ran disk check under Windows, and the drive is fine, so I'm thinking the update was buggy.

It's probably 10 years old, an Acer Aspire One with an Intel Atom processor. Turns out it not only nuked the wifi driver, but it also messed up the start menu so clicking the start menu had no effect. Managed to do a reset, and it's working again. Only reason I had put Windows back on that machine was to update the BIOS. Just got done getting it to dual boot with Linux Mint 20 that just came out, and Linux is still running way better on this old machine. Ran disk check under Windows, and the drive is fine, so I'm thinking the update was buggy.

The offending driver may have been dropped from the OS update. I have an 8 y/o laptop that has a built in DVD/CD ROM drive that just disappeared after one Windows 10 update. The OS no longer recognizes it at all, but it’s still seen and usable for the dual-booted Mint install on the laptop, so I know it’s not a hardware problem.

If they quit making Win10 change themes every year, I'm sure we'd be much better off.

Back