Windows 10 backup question

I want to make incremental backups of a folder (150-200 GB) on a Windows 10 PC. I want the backup file(s) to be encrypted so that it/they can be copied to other drives but not be readable without a key/pwd. Is there a way to do this with Windows 10's native tools, or do I have to go third-party?

As long as you have Pro or above you can use BitLocker on the external drive.

As long as you have Pro or above you can use BitLocker on the external drive.
Doesn't BitLocker encrypt the whole drive? I want to end up with an encrypted file or set of files that I can transmit in encrypted form, with or without the drive itself.

Doesn't BitLocker encrypt the whole drive? I want to end up with an encrypted file or set of files that I can transmit in encrypted form, with or without the drive itself.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with encrypting the entire drive. However perhaps using something like Veracrypt would be more what you are looking for. Veracrypt was the replacement for Truecrypt, and is an open source encryption program that will work in Windows, Linux and Mac. This can encrypt the entire, drive, just a partition, or create an encrypted "file container." The container can be anything, so it could look like a text file or image, and you can make it 10 MB or 10 GB. Perhaps something you may want to look into since it's a free program, and works with anything (runs without even being installed actually). Best think about this is even if Windows crashes, you can plug this drive into any PC, or boot your PC up using a Linux flash drive and access your data (assuming you know the password, and have your "keyfile" if you used one).

Back