Windows 10 automatic reboot - updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it appears my previous work around for Windows 10 Updates not rebooting my system is no longer working so I found this work around that seems to work.

I'm not against installing updates but I do hate that you can't decide for it not to reboot outside of their stupid "Active Hours" 18 hour window. It's my computer Microsoft I should get to decide.
mad.gif

Here are the steps: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-rebooting-after-installing-updates

It involves disabling the reboot. Make sure to follow all the steps.

Tested it and it appears to work. It will come back to me and say Windows has installed updates and needs to restart but it won't ever restart on its own.

Last edited:
Because that doesn't work for home editions and I wanted something that works for both Home and Pro.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Because that doesn't work for home editions and I wanted something that works for both Home and Pro.

There are ways you can get gpedit.msc for Home edition of Win 10 free. Google: Get gpedit.msc for Win 10 Home. There are registry hacks and scripts you can download for it.

I hear you, but hacks and scripts introduce more variables for things to break when updates come down etc. This seems to just disable a built in function in Windows, easy and works on both versions.

I hear you, but hacks and scripts introduce more variables for things to break when updates come down etc. This seems to just disable a built in function in Windows, easy and works on both versions.

I haven't had a problem, in the past year I must have done about 30 Win 10 installations for friends and family and had no problem with gpedit.msc. You can create a restore point or system image first and give it a shot.

I have tried but failed to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting without my permission. I find this recent practice by Microsoft intolerable. Windows Update used to be much more considerate, now it behaves like my computer exists to perform Windows updates, while the truth is that my computer exists to serve me.

I love my work computer... End of the day at the office and you can only click... "Update and Shutdown" or "Update and Restart" Like what if I'm late for an appointment and I don't have 15 minutes to wait for it to install updates.
mad.gif

They are totally %$#!@ in the head.

I love my work computer... End of the day at the office and you can only click... "Update and Shutdown" or "Update and Restart" Like what if I'm late for an appointment and I don't have 15 minutes to wait for it to install updates.
mad.gif

Your IT doesn't manage that? When we have updates they are always deployed over night on Tuesday as long as your computer is on the network. If your computer is not on the network then you will have to install updates but at least the option of it installing during non-office hours is a plus.

Originally Posted by JeepWJ19
mad.gif

Your IT doesn't manage that? When we have updates they are always deployed over night on Tuesday as long as your computer is on the network. If your computer is not on the network then you will have to install updates but at least the option of it installing during non-office hours is a plus.

They don't install during business hours, they just prompt you at shut-down / reboot to install with no option to choose to defer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back