Windows 10 Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting more and more frustrated that my WIN10 desktop reboots whenever it wants because of Microsoft installed updates.

TO BE CLEAR: I'm not whining about the updates, I'm whining about the time in which it reboots.

I'd like for me to be the being that says reboot, not the auto reboot where the computer may be doing something I don't want interrupted. Such as, something as simple as file transfer. I was copying the drive on my computer that backs up the NAS to an external USB hard drive that I store at work. 1.4TB of data, got 300ish GB in and the computer rebooted because Microsoft told it to.

I did select the "Notify me" option in the update settings, but all that does is give you a pop up that says, hey we'll be rebooting in 30 minutes. It does give you the option to do it later, but that only works if I'm sitting in front of it and if you click that, it will then reboot when it believes you aren't doing anything.

I want it to tell me, we need to reboot to finish updates and for me to say OK, and only then will it actually reboot.

Is this even possible?

I have only set up a Win10 system once but I recall there being a setting whereby you could set hours in which the updater should not function at all. I have set up the system to run after 2am, for example. That certainly wouldn't prevent an auto-reboot in the middle of the night and would therefore be just as much of a problem if you tend to leave tasks to run during those hours; but if you're getting caught with a reboot during business hours while you happen to simply be away form the system, that may help.

EDIT: "Active Hours" - It is mentioned and linked to in the above-linked article from skyactiv

It's a little irritating to me that it isn't configured like this in the first place...

The fact that you have to specifically configure it to NOT do whatever it wants, whenever it wants is disappointing. Would it be so hard to have it consider when you are typically active on a day to day basis before stepping in and re-booting? If you want to reboot my computer while I'm not doing anything and I don't answer, I guess that is fair enough. In your case, it should have detected that you were doing a massive file transfer and waited for that to finish before it re-started.

In some ways, it is better than they used to do. The old system made absolutely sure that you were there without a doubt, THEN made you wait while it installed and re-booted everything. At least these download everything in the background while you are doing something else. If they could just get that last bit right.....

I think Windows 10 Pro lets you control updates more, the basic version just does it whenever it likes.

I'd like to point out at this time that Ubuntu and every other Linux distro I know of has a much less intrusive and much handier updating process:

Pretty much all of the software you'd use on these systems comes from one source (the distro's "repositories") and therefore there is only one updater ever working on your system: No more opening some application only to be nagged that there is an update available; and no more using disparate web sites and locations to try to get updates for your media players, browser, photo managers, office suites, email applications, etc. All of the updates for all of your software is in one spot, vetted already by the developers and packaged for your convenience.

The only time you ever need to reboot is when you update the kernel. Some distros never update the kernel excepting security updates while others update it from time to time. In any case, no reboot is ever forced upon you: Most updaters simply alert you that one is needed and you choose when you do that.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I'd like to point out at this time that Ubuntu and every other Linux distro I know of has a much less intrusive and much handier updating process:

Pretty much all of the software you'd use on these systems comes from one source (the distro's "repositories") and therefore there is only one updater ever working on your system: No more opening some application only to be nagged that there is an update available; and no more using disparate web sites and locations to try to get updates for your media players, browser, photo managers, office suites, email applications, etc. All of the updates for all of your software is in one spot, vetted already by the developers and packaged for your convenience.

The only time you ever need to reboot is when you update the kernel. Some distros never update the kernel excepting security updates while others update it from time to time. In any case, no reboot is ever forced upon you: Most updaters simply alert you that one is needed and you choose when you do that.

There are plenty of times that software is not available in the repositories and you have to look elsewhere. As well there are certainly times when a reboot is required other than kernel updates. Then you have the problem of software that you need everyday not being available on linux as well as dependency [censored] when it strikes that software. Don't get me wrong I use linux and have it on ~10 machines but it is not the be all end all. Most normal non computer types are better sticking with windows IMO.

OP if all else fails you can try this http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/DontSleep

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BeerCan
There are plenty of times that software is not available in the repositories and you have to look elsewhere.

Hence my phrase "pretty much" and not "all". I have had to go get .deb's or set up a PPA for Dropbox, InSync and TeamViewer.

As well there are certainly times when a reboot is required other than kernel updates.

I can't think of one offhand; other than software with inherent kernel *modules* that needed to be re-compiled.

Then you have the problem of software that you need everyday not being available on linux

Yup. "Problem" is definitely the word!

as well as dependency [censored] when it strikes that software.

That's never happened to me in 15 years on dozens of machines using distro's not name "Slackware", "Arch" or "Gentoo" (if a user is using those, they *want* to attend to every little detail manually.)

Don't get me wrong I use linux and have it on ~10 machines but it is not the be all end all.

Agreed. If anyone ever says this thing or that thing is the "Be All, End All" I become skeptical of the quality of their assertions. What I implied was that in terms of system updates it is light years ahead of Windows. Take a thread count of all of the folks befuddled and frustrated with this exact subject on this motor oil forum as reference.

Most normal non computer types are better sticking with windows IMO.

I can't disagree with that hard enough. Windows is a confusing mess that treats the user as a product/ cash cow to be exploited. From freedom, privacy, stability, ease-of-use and security standpoints it's a no-brainer; especially for the casual user.

BACK ON TOPIC: racer12306 do you have the version of Windows that, ahem, allows you to set "Activity Hours"?

Well I am glad you are happy with Linux but I am not going to get in a [censored] match over it. For me I use the best OS for the job at hand whether it be Linux, BSD, Windows etc. I have had each one of the bork on me at one time or another. But my experience has been for the casual user Linux is no more user friendly than Windows. Once there is a problem the (casual) user will be lost. As for the number of problem threads, that is easily answered by looking at installed user base. This is the last I am going to say because we are derailing the OP's thread.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I think Windows 10 Pro lets you control updates more, the basic version just does it whenever it likes.

You can trick the home version into not updating automatically by telling it you are using a metered internet connection. I forget where the setting is but searching the internet for "windows 10 metered connection" will find it easy enough.

Guys, this is not a Windows vs Linux discussion. For the record, I have Mint installed on this machine too.

This is for Windows 10 Pro, forgot to include that in the original.

From what I can tell, Active Hours doesn't exist anymore. What's extra frustrating about this is, I'm not a computer idiot. Normally, if I don't know where stuff is I can google around, find it and even do the more advanced options with confidence that I won't hose up the machine.

Interesting about the metered connection, I've seen that setting. Wonder if it will work since this is a LAN attached machine. It's worth a try.

I have disabled that one part of the update, I have task scheduled a reboot at an obscure time that I know the computer won't be in use to make sure the updates get finalized. If that doesn't work or if it automatically reverts, I'll try the other stuff.

Thanks for the help.

I updated 5 various desktops and laptops from 7 and 8 when they offered the free upgrade, re-installed a brand new laptop corrupted with errors, installed another PC off CD. I have not experienced what you describe. I haven't had anywhere near the updates compared to prior OS versions (excluding Windows defender). Biggest issues have been hangs, cortana memory leaks and DCOM errors. Have a look at your event logs. Run a disk cleaner to see if you're getting a monster Cortana memory dump. Wish there were more updates honestly, 10 is very buggy.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Guys, this is not a Windows vs Linux discussion. For the record, I have Mint installed on this machine too.

This is for Windows 10 Pro, forgot to include that in the original.

From what I can tell, Active Hours doesn't exist anymore. What's extra frustrating about this is, I'm not a computer idiot. Normally, if I don't know where stuff is I can google around, find it and even do the more advanced options with confidence that I won't hose up the machine.

Interesting about the metered connection, I've seen that setting. Wonder if it will work since this is a LAN attached machine. It's worth a try.

I have disabled that one part of the update, I have task scheduled a reboot at an obscure time that I know the computer won't be in use to make sure the updates get finalized. If that doesn't work or if it automatically reverts, I'll try the other stuff.

Thanks for the help.

I agree, sorry.

did you try http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/DontSleep

also take a look at this https://twistedlinux.wordpress.com/2016/...ersary-upgrade/

And this thread https://www.tenforums.com/windows-update...html#post858624

Last edited:
Thank you for those links.

I'll keep those in mind.

It's unfortunate that you need all this third party stuff to make Windows 10 act respectable.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I updated 5 various desktops and laptops from 7 and 8 when they offered the free upgrade, re-installed a brand new laptop corrupted with errors, installed another PC off CD. I have not experienced what you describe. I haven't had anywhere near the updates compared to prior OS versions (excluding Windows defender). Biggest issues have been hangs, cortana memory leaks and DCOM errors. Have a look at your event logs. Run a disk cleaner to see if you're getting a monster Cortana memory dump. Wish there were more updates honestly, 10 is very buggy.

My main issue with speed is around my OS HDD. Once it's booted and ready, it's pretty fast. I overbuilt it back in 2011 so even with a big memory hog, the 16GB of ram is more than enough to accommodate. Pretty sure I disabled as much Cortana stuff as I could. I really should upgrade it to a SSD, but I just haven't. This isn't a daily use computer, however it feels that nearly every time I come back to this machine it has reboot.

Originally Posted By: barryh
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

You can trick the home version into not updating automatically by telling it you are using a metered internet connection. I forget where the setting is but searching the internet for "windows 10 metered connection" will find it easy enough.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...78-2427b944ba83

From what I can tell, Active Hours doesn't exist anymore.

I have my wife's school laptop cracked open and am looking at it as I type this. I don't know what version of Win10 she has, though. How do I find that out?

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
From what I can tell, Active Hours doesn't exist anymore.

I have my wife's school laptop cracked open and am looking at it as I type this. I don't know what version of Win10 she has, though. How do I find that out?

Search "system information" in Windows Start Menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back