Window washer fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good choices for window washer fluid additives? I get tired of the fluid freezing up in the "wiper hoses" which are attached to the wiper arms(no squirters on the hood),sometimes i can squeeze the tubing on the wipers to break it up and get the liquid flowing again.
The tank never freezes,INSIDE the tubing does which is exposed to the elements.
I have used various brands of "winter" fluids but most still freeze up IN THE WIPER ARM TUBING.
Should i just install engine hood squirters?

That is strange, you are using fluids which "claim" to be at least -40C or so? I have never had that problem, but I haven't owned a car with rubber washer hose lines for quite some time.

I have been very happy with Rain-X winter washer fluid. Makes it easier to scrape the windshield too.

It happens every winter time,those stupid wiper arm hoses lock up and i'm sooo sick of it.
With my past older cars and squirters on the hoods they never froze up,you just cleared off the snow from the hood and those small black squirters.
Engineers suck in the automotive world.
Yah,they claim to be good for -40...ummm,right.The tank is underside the car next to the passenger wheel well(another dumb engineering idea)since there's room for it elsewhere.

Sure you don't have broken washer lines anywhere...? I've heard of that problem happening, they use cheap rubber for the washer fluid lines.....about ready to "upgrade" mine...in fact, was really contemplating simply changing out the whole washer fluid tank + hoses.

On a side note: I've heard rave reviews about the Rain X "orange" 2-in-1 bug wash.....they are marketing it as a "De Icer" but even here in CA it works great....hehehe.

Last edited:
The RainX leaves a residue around the squirters that is hard to remove, but I also use it since I think it does improve wiping and ice scraping. I've never had it freeze up.

I have heard of people adding table salt to the reservoir all the way to adding cheap vodka to it to lower it's freezing point.

I've found that no matter what type of WW fluid I use, melted/refrozen water will freeze the outlets and block them, especially on wiper-arm-mounted systems which are in the cold airstream.

Do you completely drain the tank before filling it with your winter fluid of choice? If not, you aren't getting the rated freeze protection on the bottle, aprticularly if you used a summer fluid or allowed a service department to fill it.

My usual routine:
-Always fill the reservoir before any car service so I know exactly what is in there - I've had the rervoir turn into an ice cube thanks to a poor service department.
-Drain the tank prior to very cold weather - I usually do this through routine use.
-Refill with fluid rated to -35F (Zecol Purple Power in my case).
-Enjoy having no issues.

There is an easy fix for that. I add 100% pure methonal to my wwf its pretty cheap and under a 50/50 mix with water it is not flammable. You can also put a wwf heater on your car and it will squirt hot wwf at the window its pretty cool.

I think you guys are not realizing the wind chill on the winshield wiper and the ratings of wwf. My work truck sometimes when its really cold will freeze up in the wipers. it too has a hose in the wiper arms. Also remember that methonal evaporates real fast leaving the water and its also the same as brake fluid in which it sucks water out of the air. so i think it is majorly dilluted in some cases.

Last edited:
Here in the metro Atlanta area..WW fluid with anti-freeze is banned..no can get. In all the FLAPS the bottles are marked good to 32*.

If you drive up and outside the metro area, you can buy the good WW fluid, which will not freeze in winter.

I see that you are in IL..probably the same regulatory nonsense. Maybe the street people were drinking it for an alcohol fix or some nutty environmental complaint

Last edited:
All else, you could try using isopropanol - experiment with it in your freezer first though
smile.gif

Isopropyl alcohol seems to be the new "bee's knees" of glass cleaners....everything from Windex, to RainX, now states "Contains Alcohol" "Ammonia Free!" - if it states Ammonia Free it's typically isopropyl alcohol....

BUT, even "off the shelf" pharmacy rubbing alcohol is only 40% alcohol if I recall....but if you ask the pharmacist, you should be able to get 93% alcohol which may work better.

Glad I don't have to worry about that here in FL
smile.gif
I typically add a shot glass or 2 of Simple Green to my washer fluid every fill up....hehe. Seems to get the windshield really clean.

I really should just "pre mix" it next empty jug of WWF I get
wink.gif

BTW, my local WM sells a "Rain X Brand" WW Additive, in a tall-ish rectangular bottle, probably 15-20 oz. or so....I recall looking at it one time. And basically you add a couple ounces to your current WWF....during the winter, they say to "double the dose" to protect from freezing...perhaps try that...?

At my store they got it on the bottle shelf, right below the windshield wipers....

But wow, @ GA laws: that's some hogwash there....they should easily be able to use Alcohol instead of Antifreeze...as a substitute. Only problem I suppose, would be alerting the WWF manufacturers of this "new" law, and see if they can adapt their formulas to the change.....

I think the PEAK blue just uses some kind of methanol of sorts, to increase the freezing point (err...lower it? Lol..whatever, stop it from freezing).

http://66.194.55.176/walmart_public/view...amp;ismsds=true has the Rain X additive I was referring to, it's

2-butoxy ethanol 111-76-2 1.00 - 5.00 %
Isopropyl Alcohol 67-63-0 1.00 - 5.00 %
Methanol 67-56-1 < 4.00 %

And yea, basically rubbing alcohol, methanol (to further hinder the freeze point), and the 2-butoxy ethanol is one of the latest "Multipurpose Cleaner" ingredients found in [censored] near any Degreaser; Purple Power, La's Totally Awesome, Super Clean, Simple Green, etc.

But if you're in the north, I'd test it in your freezer, or even outside your front door over night, and see if it freezes over night before putting it into your WWF tank.

But I know the RainX product I was referring to, basically the more you add to the tank, the higher the freeze point.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you have some of the diluted summer fluid in the lines. I live in the same climate and rarely have problems with the fluid in any car I've owned. In fact, I swap fluid every season so I can use water in the summer. Before winter I dump the water and refill with windshield washer fluid, then operate the fluid to purge the water from the lines. Now I have windshield washer fluid that won't freeze all through the system.

If you can't get winter washer fluid in Atlanta, make some. I'm sure you can get alcohol from the hardware store. I'm not sure what the proportions are though. Methanol is a cumulative toxin absorbed through the skin. Stay away from it -- use ethanol.

I have learned to get the more expensive $3 fluid vs. the $1 fluid.
It is good to -30F or so. The cheap stuff can turn to slush at +20F!

Originally Posted By: abycat

I think you guys are not realizing the wind chill on the winshield wiper and the ratings of wwf. My work truck sometimes when its really cold will freeze up in the wipers. it too has a hose in the wiper arms. Also remember that methonal evaporates real fast leaving the water and its also the same as brake fluid in which it sucks water out of the air. so i think it is majorly dilluted in some cases.

There is no wind chill effect on fluid in the tubes leading to the wipers but once it hits the windshield the evaporative effect can make it freeze quickly. You are correct that over time much of the alcohol can evaporate from the reservoir.

I used to use the Rain-X washer fluid. However, one day I got to looking in my washer tank and there were tons of what what I'd call "globules". It looked like the Rain-X Wash & Wax product (blue liquid and gold balls). It's not so much the color, but the little balls. They look like oil or fat globules in water.

Once I saw this, I got rid of all my Rain-X washer fluid. I have moved over to Prestone washer fluid (regular and winter time). I have not had the "globule" problem since making the switch.

I vote for Prestone washer fluids based on my own personal experience.

I have some Einzett I am going to try this winter. For some reason I've never thought about draining out the 'summer' fluid - (D'oh) - and just thought about using as much as I could in the fall to get it low. Any better ways to do this than just a simple siphon out of the tank?

Be careful of the additives that can cause damage to paint or rubber and what ever you add you will have to breath in the odors from the cowl.

Originally Posted By: mshu7
I used to use the Rain-X washer fluid. However, one day I got to looking in my washer tank and there were tons of what what I'd call "globules". It looked like the Rain-X Wash & Wax product (blue liquid and gold balls). It's not so much the color, but the little balls. They look like oil or fat globules in water.

Once I saw this, I got rid of all my Rain-X washer fluid. I have moved over to Prestone washer fluid (regular and winter time). I have not had the "globule" problem since making the switch.

I vote for Prestone washer fluids based on my own personal experience.

Agreed. Prestone is where its at.

I pulled out my chemistry handbook. For you mixologists, to achieve a solution with protection to -20°F you need either a 40% ethanol, or 33% methanol solution in water.

As bamaro said, the solution can freeze on the windshield from evaporation. My owners manual states that washer solution should only be used on a windshield warmed from defrost, not on a car that is still stone cold.

I imagine the new defrosting solutions sold on the market have a higher level of alcohol in it (think airplane deicing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back