Window tint: which is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the quality of the shop is of equal importance to the tint itself. Some can file the tint off at the very edge of the window [looks clean], and some won't do it. Some deal better than others with rear window defrosters, antenna lines, "dot matrix" patterns on the windows, etc.

The pricing down here seems somewhat seasonal. As in, don't wait much longer for a good deal.

If I remember right, my car has Diamond window tint. It came with a lifetime national, "no fault" scratch warranty. Someone tried to break into my car with a coat hanger, scratched the tint, and I got my window retinted for $0. I suppose I could gradually retint the whole car this way if I were being unscrupulous... FWIW, I've heard 3M isn't really worth the money.

Don't know the trade name, but anything made by 3M will do you good. EVERY car I've ever owned has been tinted. I lived in Guam for ten years and can tell you the difference tint makes. Besides keeping you insides cooler, it also keeps the fabric from fading and that makes a big difference when your trying to sell it. Make sure you get it tinted from a company thats been around for awhile. If the tint is lifetime guarantee, won't do you no good if the installer is out of business. Also, you don't want to have remove old tint on back windows that have the line type of defroster on it. They will easily break off when you pull the old tint off of it. I've used Alta Mere before and they've done good work, they are also expanding nation wide. The other thing I like about tint is the security. I'm willing to bet that cars that have been carjacked, where those without tint. There could be 3 or 4 guys with baseball bats sitting inside, thieves will never know and they are going to take the path of least resistance. You can look up your states' tint laws on line.

I'm in the process of deciding where to get my windows tinted also. Here in NH we cannot tint the driver or passenger window
rolleyes.gif
I had factory tint in my last vehicle which was 04 Vue. I got pretty used to it and have been wanting to tint the glass in my Matrix since I got it. One of the big benefits as mentioned above is keeping the glare down at night from headlights in my rearview mirror

Good thread as I don't know too much about the different makers of tint quality wise...

Anyone recommend a good place to have it down in New England?

Goose
patriot.gif

I've had good luck with both Llumar and Johnson film on my vehicles. Never any bubbling or discoloring issues, although I generally don't keep my vehicles beyond 6-7 years or so.

Don't waste your hard earned money on 3M's film. I've used their best film and even it turned color. When it was time to remove it, it came off in little pieces. The Formuala One stuff comes off in one sheet! Strong!!!

The quality of the CPFilms (FormulaOne) is world class. Stay above 28% and you should have good visibility day/night.

Formula One dealers are trained on a regular basis, and they have the trciks for those hard spots like dot matrix. Mine don't even show!
grin.gif

They also use a single piece rear window install. None of this two piece crap that some places do.

Blue Goose!!
Their website should show where they have dealers. I think Portland, Maine would be closest to you.

When you say all the way around do you mean the windshield too? I currently have 35% on the back and 50% on all side windows. For giggles I put some 50% on the windshield and didn't like the night driving aspect of it and pulled it off the next day. It was still pretty wet and came off easily. I just used windex with ammonia and a plastic scraper to remove the adhesive. Took about 30 minutes. I was conserned with the legality too. The windshield is a no-no in all states. Where I live we can legally have 70% on the front side windows. I put 50% and haven't had any problems. I have Llumar and it seems to hold up well.

Don't worry about the removal of rear tint over defroster lines. It can be removed. The tint just needs to be soaked with ammonia type cleaners to get the adhesive to come off with the film and use steel wool for the adhesive that stays behind. Any reputible tinting shop will know how to remove old tint without damaging the window. It is a bad job but they usually don't charge too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back