Window Cleaning ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever method and product you use, clay the glass first. It will last for several months and make a significant improvement in your cleaning results.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Whatever method and product you use, clay the glass first. It will last for several months and make a significant improvement in your cleaning results.

And your wipers will work MUCH better also. Glass takes on a RainX type action but no smearing occurs over time when clayed.

I don't remember the specific product line, but my glass cleaner was a bulk (couple gallons or so) purchase from Hi-Temp. I don't know if a non-dealer can by from them, but it works great. It's concentrated, so mixed with water 50/50 is perfect. I use a flat weave sort of MF towel so it doesn't leave lint or other particles behind. I also add a quarter ounce of white vinegar to the wash to help with any cleaners that may be still present from other towels.

Have there been any claims with newspaper leaving micro scratches on glass? Is the spray away safe on aftermarket window tint.....ammonia free?

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I have found that a waffle weave microfiber towel works best on glass. The textured surface works better than any of the premium mf towels I own. I also use Sprayway window cleaner, safe for tint too.
I've found that waffle weave towels are very effective for drying glass. I dry off all the glass first before drying the rest of the vehicle before any hard water spots form. No need for any glass cleaning products.

Last edited:
Seems like I always get a haze from micro fiber towels..........

I have best results with Windex and old newspapers.

Originally Posted By: fins

I've never really gotten the concept of using old newspapers for cleaning auto glass. It tried it once or twice. When I was done, my hands were filthy, with print ink. Then it occurred to me. If my hands are covered with print ink, then the windshield, of which I am trying to clean, must also be covered with print ink.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: fins

I've never really gotten the concept of using old newspapers for cleaning auto glass. It tried it once or twice. When I was done, my hands were filthy, with print ink. Then it occurred to me. If my hands are covered with print ink, then the windshield, of which I am trying to clean, must also be covered with print ink.

Your right, newspaper back in the day did work on windows, but with the new ink they are using, it gets all over your hands, and on the window.
Clean surgical huck towels and a good glass cleaner (I like Megs D120) = streak free windows....but it's still quite a bit of work to get them near perfect.

Many newspapers use soy ink these days....it makes the newspaper worthless for cleaning. Heck you cannot even read the paper without getting your hands dirty.

What would contribute to me having a film on my windows? I have to use the defrosters for a few seconds to remove it. Would a window cleaner fix this?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What would contribute to me having a film on my windows? I have to use the defrosters for a few seconds to remove it. Would a window cleaner fix this?

The film can come from various sources. On newer cars it's simply solvents and plasticizers evaporating from the plastics and condensing on the glass. This tends to be easy to remove with a microfiber.

As your car gets older the film tends to build up if you use a lot of Armor All on the interior. Talking if you just spray and let dry a thick layer of protectant. The propylene glycol along with silicones makes for a very difficult to remove film.

My favorite automotive glass cleaner is actually winter formula windshield washer fluid. It has a higher methanol content which will cuts through the oily layer on the glass better than conventional glass cleaners. And windshield washer fluid is cheap and safe for tint since ammonia damages the tint and can cause bubbling long term. Ammonia is what tinters use to remove window tint.

Clean the windows with a microfiber and the cleaner then buff it dry with one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Stoner-95161-Invis...dshield+cleaner

You'll have crystal clear glass no matter how bad that film is. When I used to detail professionally I had people come to me and say they tried every way for literally hours to clean their car glass but it didn't work with that stubborn film. After showing them how to clean with my method above they were amazed I could get the most stubborn films off in less than 5 minutes and even at night they didn't even see any streaks. It's that last dry buff with the microfiber cloth that does it.

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
This is the only window/windshield cleaner that works. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sprayway-glass-cleaner-4-19oz-cans/165019.ip

For years, I didn't listen to my wife. Listen to my wife. She knows.

Being as I do not have OEM tinted windows, not to sure about using it.

Also I'm not a Sam's Club member nor do I intend to pay for a membership to shop anywhere.

Funny many bash Wal-Mart, but Sam's Cub is great, both owned and ran by the same folks.

I use it for home and auto windows. It is available lots of places, Wal-mart, Target, Home Depot, Ace, Amazon, Autogeek, pretty much every where.....

My biggest issue with MF towels is that small lint that sticks to the glass and is hard to get off. Doesn't matter if they are new rags out-of-the-package or washed rags, they still have the same really small lint that sticks to the glass. Anyone know of any MF towels that Don't leave that lint?

Ive used a variety of foamy and liquid window cleaners. No issues.

I always apply with newspaper and buff with MF. Works great, even on grimy windows.

I think ammonia is used in some cleaners. Id bet that if you tried some of that, you might have luck. Similarly, acetone is often used as a rinse agent on lab glassware, might help too.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
My biggest issue with MF towels is that small lint that sticks to the glass and is hard to get off. Doesn't matter if they are new rags out-of-the-package or washed rags, they still have the same really small lint that sticks to the glass. Anyone know of any MF towels that Don't leave that lint?

i think the meguiars supreme shine are pretty low on lint.

Also, it doesn't hurt to just do a quick snap with them a few times to try to shake anything loose off.

Additionally i suppose what products you've used to "clean" your glass is. IF it truly is clean the lint's going to stick to the glass, just like washing your car with dawn makes dust stick easier than a waxed car.

But if you clean it just to be optically clean, and your cleaning product(s) actually leaves behind some surfacants or (invisible) films, then the lint isn't going to stick so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back